Maybe DVC could add OC to their collection

Johnnie Fedora

My cup is not 1/2 full or 1/2 empty, it's just 50%
Maybe DVC could add the OC ( the Orlando collection) as a new option!! I would always choose a DVC resort whenever possible, but for those times where availablilty is an issue, DVC members could take advantage of the new OC Collection.

If I was given the choice of staying in the DC for 50-60 pts/night :mad:, or an off-site deluxe hotel for 12pts/night :D, I would choose the OC. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Family Suites last year and found it to be quite nice for $112.00/nt.

I don't like being a captive audience. :mad: Maybe a little competition would bring the DC points back down to earth.

Just some food (Points) thought.

What is Disney's incentive for having any external exchanges?

I've read on this board, that DVC basically pays rack rate to any hotel in the Disney Collection. There appears to be little (or no) rate negotiation between DVC management and the each hotel that makes up the Disney Collection. If the DVC management were to negotiate with some offsite hotels in what I call the "Orlando Collection" (Swan or Dolphin maybe, plus others), it might provide a reason for the Disney Collection hotels to offer DVC a "better than" rack rate. I would think DVC management would be interested in keeping DVC as flexible and affordable as possible. Flexability is a major selling point for the program.

I would hate to see DVC members priced out of a major program option like the Disney Collection. A little competition might help!:rolleyes:

Here's how Disney feels about outside competition: If you are a Disney Club member then your aware of the "Entertainment" feature. If you go to www.entertainment.com and do a hotel or resteraunt search for WDW area,they have tons of locations minutes from WDW. Now DC brags about the Entertainment feature on their web site. But do the same search from the DC site,and the closest hotel or resteraunt is 50 miles away.I don't think OC will ever be an option.

You've come up with an interesting idea, Johnnie F. This "Orlando Collection" concept could work, but only if Disney has indeed inflated the points needed for the DC to outrageous levels. Disney would create a situation where it would become profitable for a third party, such as the Timeshare Store, to accept our DVC points in return for 1st class hotels off-site. They could obtain these rooms at discounted rates, whereas DVC must pay rack rate for rooms. Then they will have us make DVC reservations for the periods when they have demand. They could profit on both ends of the deal.

I know there will be problems with the "fine print", but if a significant profit could be made, some company will figure it out.

This would just reinstate another hotel option in place of the one Disney has effectively eliminated.

It probably would never fly because when you are in Orlando, Disney wants you to spend all of your time on their property. This is why the won't show the Entertainment Discounts in the Orlando area. If you are staying off property you have less chance to spend money in the gift shops, the restaurants and possibly even the parks. It is an interesting idea, but it would probably never pass. Currently there is nothing you can use to trade out of DVC anywhere in the Orlando area, and there probably never will be.

IMHO, there would be very few (if any) DVC members who would want to use an option such as this. DVC is for peope who want to stay ON-SITE. We pay a premium for this feature. There are lots of off-site timeshares in the Orlando area that are less expensive than DVC. Those who don't think on-site is all that important will likely find these a better value.

Even if all of the DVC resorts were full, and all of the non-DVC WDW resorts were also full, I'd rather bank points, or go to VB or off-season to HHI than "waste" points on an off-site Orlando Hotel. And if for some reason, I just HAD to be there are that time, well, there are almost always discounted rooms available in Orlando. I could never justify (or imagine) using DVC points for them.

Again, JMHO. As they say, YMMV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter