May I please ask a question?

In many cases, yes.

It's also supposed to help with overall cholesterol numbers... lowering the bad and raising the good, making for a good ratio.

Results are usually seen after the first 3-6 months.

My number were 'okay' before this way of eating. BUT after 3 months of eating low carb and getting blood work it was more than just okay -- it was 'TERRIFIC'.
:D

Dr. Atkins says in his book that your triglycerides will drop quickly while the HDL will take longer to increase. We haven't had my husbands blood work done so I don't know what only 3 weeks of this eating plan may have done for his triglycerides.

Thanks for your answers. I appreciate it. I have be lurking here for a while. I have lost 4 lbs. in 1 1/2 weeks. Blood work showed very high triglycerides, so I am taking tips from these threads. I have an appt to see the Dr. on 2/10. They gave me my results over the phone. I want to change my way of eating and lose weight.

Hope you all don't mind if I pop in once in a while.

Again, thanks.

I hope you visit often, Marilyn. You can encourage me and I'll encourage you, deal?

I'm pretty sure I've seen some theories that simply losing weight will improve your cholesterol numbers. In other words, it doesn't matter what diet you're on, as long as the weight goes down. That said, I feel much better on a low carb diet. Seems to help many of the things that ail me, inflammatory bowel, arthritis symptoms and on and on. Diana

There are some people (my doctor said he thought the number was around 10%) that react negatively to low-carb, and their cholesterol shoots up. I was one of those people. That 10% number sound good so far, since my father and his wive both had the opposite reaction, as has several other low-carbers I know.

My triglycerides went down 30 points after starting low carb. My total cholesterol number remained essentially the same - but the HDL increased, the LDL decreased and my triglyceride levels definitely improved! My total is still "high" but the ratios are MUCH better.

Thanks again.

Kath...it's a deal! I am not actually following the Atkins diet, but I have lost 5 1/2 lbs. so far :Pinkbounc :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter