May cancell the Polynesian for CBR

ktink

DIS Veteran
DH went to work this morning and his truck will not go in reverse. We tried to call the mechanic but he wasn't in. Anyway we just found out that our AC unit will probably need to be replaced as well. Which I knew that but could handle replacing that and Poly. Now with an added expense of the truck. I just started to toy around w/ resorts.

We're at Poly w/ 40 % discount PIN and paying for DDP for a total of $2951.52. Staying 6 nights. OR WE COULD....

Stay at CBR (we like tropical themes) for 7 nights w/ free DDP for $2001.78. Which is close to $1000 savings and we get to add a night.

Poly is my dream resort and I know I'll never get that kind of rate again but the savings and an additional night are clearly obstructing my view.:laughing:

For those who have stayed at either or both could you enlighten me on your likes and dislikes of CBR. TIA

I have been in your shoes before, sometimes it feels like when you see the light at the end of the tunnel it just turns out to be a train! I have not stayed at CBR before but I just wanted to add something: We usually stay at Poly, WL, or Cont but this past spring break went with my brother and his 4 children, my mother, my niece, and my DD. My brother is a single dad so budget was very important so I got an AP at ASMo to save money. I was amazed at how much we loved it, DD even asked why haven't we stayed here before and can we stay there this summer. DH didn't get to go this spring due to work and now I find myself trying to talk him into switching resorts this summer. So what I am trying to say is I don't think there is a bad resort as long as you like the themeing. Ex.-we had stayed at ASSpo before, me and DD, but neither being sporty people we didn't enjoy it but we love disney movies so I think if you like the tropic feel the CBR will be great!:love:

I have not stayed at the Poly (just don't think it's worth NEAR what Disney wants.) but the CBR is my favorite moderate (and the only deluxe I have stayed in I like more then CBR is AKL. Of course I do compare the pricing and service to comparble hotels outside Disney and by that measure "Deluxe" hotels are more like overpriced moderates LOL!)

CBR was built several years ago. As a result, it has some features you don't find in some of the newer moderates. The rooms are a little bigger and the " standard views" are a lot less likely to be a direct parking lot, more like a partial view. The bathrooms have dual sinks and the "curtain" feature which is nice. I think for the price it's a very nice hotel.

I would step down to CSR or All Star Movies.. CBR has too many bus stops ... but whichever.. I would stay the 7 nights!!!!!!!!! Great Savings!:cool1:

Here's my two cents; I've been staying at the Poly since I was a kid in '72 and could never imagine staying anywhere else, until last Nov. My best friend and I wanted to take our Dad's to WDW as a gift but could no way afford all of us at the Poly, so we decided to try POR. Holy cow, what a wonderful surprise, this moderate resort blew us away, and in no way did we feel slighted. We are now booked at CBR for this May and I can't even tell you how excited we are. We'll get back to the Poly someday, but right now we can stay longer at a moderate and still save money over a shorter stay at a deluxe.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. You all have made me feel better about this. Of course I won't make any changes to our ressie until 4/12 provided free dining comes out.

We've stayed at CSR and Pop and loved them. So I know it comes down to what we make of it. And we still have 2 ADRs at Poly so we'll be able to enjoy that, just not those fabulous renovated rooms. Oh well, at least we'll get an extra nights stay and still have a wonderful time.

Personally, I would stay at the Poly. You may never get that 40% off again and at least you got to stay at your "dream" hotel. I don't think 1 night will make that much of a difference.

Good luck!

If you are feeling uncomfortable and the $900 would make you feel better I would switch. Plus you would get an extra day out of it so that's always a good feeling.

I loved CBR even with the bus stops as I didn't think they were that big of a deal. If you like the theming, want to stay an extra day, and can save $1,000 (which seems as if it will come in very handy) then I say go for CBR. I've never stayed at Poly but lying in the hamocks at CBR watching Illuminations at night was fantastic!!

The POLY is and has always been my favorite WDW Resort. With that being said, the savings by switching to the CBR is significant and with everything you have going on, probably a smart move.

Perhaps your next trip you can stay at the POLY and not have the other unexpected expenses.

Good Luck!

We love the Poly, but if $900 is significant to you at this time, you should stay at CBR. We've never stayed there, but we did have a lovely stay at POR before we had kids, so I'm sure CBR is really nice. Some friends of ours just stayed there over Christmas and liked it a lot. I would not stay at the Poly if it caused me stress or financial worries. Go stay at CBR, enjoy the tropical atmosphere, and have a great trip to Disney!

CBRs a great resort to stay at. You will fill like you have escaped from the world when you stay at CBR.

Our family has stayed at the AS Sports, Pop Century, POR, Fort Wilderness Cabins, CBR and the Poly. My daughter keeps asking to stay at CBR again and we may do that this summer with free dining. The least favorite vacation for all of us was the Poly. Not that there was anything particular wrong with the vacation, maybe our expectations were just too high. Anyway, I think it's definitely about the experience and not the hotel. Do what you think is right and you'll have a great time no matter where you stay.

I'd easily move to CBR, I don't think the poly is worth the extra $900, how often are you in your room, rarely? to sleep? You'll have a great vacation, no need to stress over spending extra money.

I think it's a tough call....

I've stayed at both resorts, and actually loved CBR. It was our very first onsite resort. The rooms are a great size, as has already been mentioned. The grounds of the resort are gorgeous, and very similar in vegetation to the Polynesian. Just missing the tiki torches. lol But the lighting at night, especially around the lake, is very, very pretty.

The Polynesian is my favorite resort and you really got a great discount. However, sometimes unexpected expenses come up, and the extra savings is substantial, and you'd still have an excellent vacation if you stay at CBR... :scratchin

If that $900+ difference will really help you out, and you'd feel better about saving the money for the truck repair, I'd switch. However, if it'll bug you that you changed from the Polynesian resort and you think you'll never get the opportunity to stay there again, and if the money you'd save isn't going to make or break you, then keep the Polynesian.

I'm really no help, am I? LOL :confused3 :laughing:

I'd easily move to CBR, I don't think the poly is worth the extra $900, how often are you in your room, rarely? to sleep? You'll have a great vacation, no need to stress over spending extra money.

ITA. The only reason I can justify staying at the Poly for even 3 nights is because we're not going to the parks at all (except for MNSSHP). We're doing a 9-night stay at POP in August and will have our fill of the parks then. For the short trip, we're just going to stay at the resort and enjoy it completely. Rest and relax by the pool. :cloud9:

Thanks again to everyone for the replies. I really think that CBR is a resort that we would enjoy but I know that we would love the Polynesian. DH and I have talked about it and it just seems like the smart thing to do. I'm not going to make a final decision, of course, until the free dining promo comes out.

It really bums me to think that we won't be staying at Poly this trip. The rate was great. But we know our next trip that we will book as far in advance as we can to make smaller payments and it won't be such a blow to the budget. We could swing the Poly and the expenses but it makes better sense to save the extra. We try to save and cut corners and I think that is our downfall.:laughing: I ran into my best friend tonight and was discussing this w/ her and she told me to go for it and stay at the Polynesian and DH said that he'd rather save. I know we can't take it with us when we go but it's not a situation that will make or break us. It's just the tight wad in us.:goodvibes

That's so true. And that's what DH said. We really only sleep and shower in the rooms but we are planning on some more resort downtime this trip. But we'll do that regardless. We want some relaxation time this trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter