May 26 - June 2, 2012 From Reality to Fantasy

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports' started by Dawncala, Jun 18, 2012.

1. budamacdvcr

budamacdvcr DIS Dad #737

They hold your purchases for liquor until the last night of the cruise. You can carry on liquor with you though when you board as well as when the ship is at a port.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. eacdabney

eacdabney Earning My Ears

Cool. Thank you for the info! :)

4. Dawncala

Dawncala Collector of magical memories and pixie dust

Afternoon on Deck

Here is a better representation of what the family pool area looks like most of the day.

[​IMG]
    You can see the Aquaduck line in the background. It was like that most afternoons.

[​IMG]

5. Dawncala

Quacking Up on the Aquaduck

We still had plenty of time to spare before getting ready for dinner so we decided we’d go ride the Aquaduck. We found DS, got on our bathing suits, and headed up. As it was nearing time for the early dinner seating and show there was barely any line. We ended up waiting about 10 minutes which from my understanding is not the norm.

A cast member at the beginning of the line stood beside a group of cubbies where we could leave our shoes, shirts and other items. We didn’t have our camera with us at this time because we knew we couldn’t bring it with us and I didn’t want to leave it in a cubby. (these photos were taken on another day)

[​IMG]
    One of the many Aquaduck posters on deck 11.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Duck butt!

[​IMG]
    The average Aquaduck line.

[​IMG]
    The view of the Aquaduck loop from the Aqua Lab area.

[​IMG]
    This is how far overboard the Aquaduck tube extends. We took this photo from the tender boat in Grand Cayman.

Like on many Disney rides now-a-days there is an opportunity to purchase a photo after your ride. Just before you circle around the front smokestack there is a big dip and you are splashed with water. Of course this is when they snap your photo, while you’re screaming or spitting out a face full of water. DH and I thought it was a cute little ride and are glad we went on it once. I expect it is much more popular with the younger crowd than the older ones. Both my kids had expected more thrill and wished it was faster. DS went on it far more than DD.

FYI: I heard that on windy days they would not let smaller children ride alone in the tubes so be prepared to get wet.

[​IMG]
    The one and only Aquaduck photo I purchased.

NOTE: They only take photos on the Aquaduck on the first three cruise days. I think this is because they take hundreds each day and it takes the next four days to find your photos. For the most part the face recognition technology they use is pretty good, but it isn’t capable of sorting out all the wet screaming people into the correct folders. The only way for you to get your photo is to hunt through boxes and boxes of them in Shutters where you have to look through hundreds to find the five times your kids rode the Aquaduck the day before.

Except for this one photo of my kids, which I thought was pretty good, we decided that basically nobody takes a good photo on the Aquaduck. Out of the 8 or 9 photos we should have had we only ever found 5, and four of those were pretty bad and not worth purchasing.

6. Sunseeker17

Sunseeker17 Mouseketeer

My 10 year old is so looking forward to the AquaDuck and he really enjoyed your overview of it in pictures...thanks! :)

7. Dawncala

Sorry all. We went away for a long weekend to visit family and friends and I didn't take my laptop. Then, before you know it, it's Thursday.

8. Dawncala

The Platypus Cleans Up Nicely

Having seen the matinee show we now had plenty of time to get ready for formal night. Since we had just come from the Aquaduck we all needed to shower first. DD and I grabbed a few items and went to the Senses Spa locker room to use the big showers and hair dryers. The boys took turns using the shower in our cabin. When DD and I were clean and dry (in record time) we went back to the cabin to finish putting on make-up and getting dressed.

[​IMG]
    I remembered Perry's formalwear this trip.

[​IMG]
    DD does her cutsie photo thing while DS tried out a GQ pose dad taught him.

[​IMG]
    The Fine Whines playing in the atrium.

We arrived in the atrium around 7:30. The Fine Whines jazz duo was playing. I can’t remember a single song they played, but it was very pleasant background music for the evening. Scattered throughout the lobby were photo opportunities, and this mom wasn’t going to miss getting some family photos while we were all looking our snazziest. You can get your photo taken in front of both tile mosaic murals, with the Mademoiselle Minnie statue, on the grand staircase, in front of two (or three) specialty back drops, a plain white backdrop, with characters in their formalwear, and with Captain Marco.

Trivia Fact: A CM told me that each Captain works for 8 weeks then has 8 weeks off. This was Captain Marco’s last week before he went on leave.

Each photo line was separate so after you finish in one you pick a new line and wait again. The queue system was not very efficient either. It was sometimes difficult to find the end of a line because it was running into, or through another nearby line. I think DCL should have run this like the Princess meet & greet where you get into one big line and then stop at each station to have your photo taken. In the end I think that ultimately they would sell more photos that way.

As it was we chose to only wait in three lines, but we did purchase one photo from all three locations. They usually take 2 – 6 photos in each location, changing poses or camera angles so you have some variety. This is good because somebody always blinks in at least one, or in the case of my family, somebody makes a silly face until I give them the “I’m not kidding, cut it out” look that all moms know how to make.

Here are my favorite three.

[​IMG]
    In front of the castle mosaic.

[​IMG]
    Nothing personal Marco, but Mickey is my favorite captain.

[​IMG]
    When the kids are getting too silly we just take photos without them.

9. Bonniec

Bonniec DIS Veteran

Loving this report!

10. LuvEeyore

LuvEeyore DIS Veteran

Loving the trip report so far!!! Waiting patiently or not so patiently for more!!:coffee::coffee:

11. RaisedOnDisney7106

RaisedOnDisney7106 Earning My Ears

Great trip report! You took some great pictures and really covered a lot of details. Thanks! Looking forward to cruising next month!

12. Dawncala

Dining Like Royalty (Part 1)

Dinner tonight was in Royal Court. I think we totally lucked out as this is the perfect venue for formal night. We certainly felt like a royal family entering this posh restaurant. (Except for the wipes. I bet a royal family could forgo the wipes)

Red and gold fabrics, marble columns and intricate scrollwork are certainly fitting for the palace of a princess. All throughout the room are elaborate tile murals, each depicting a Disney princess and her prince. The chandeliers, as expected, were ornate, and the back of each chair has a small detail representing a princess. (a shoe for Cinderella, a rose for Belle…) I’ve included several decor photos below, but the mosaics will be in a later post.

[​IMG]
    DS wanted to convince the CM's to let our party of 4 sit at the royal table for 10 in the center of the restaurant. Who can blame him though, it looks so luxurious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Marble columns and the well designed architecture that leads your eye up to the ceiling.

[​IMG]
    Another example of amazing themed lighting.

[​IMG]
    An example of the red and gold flooring. The patterns are so different, yet work together so nicely. It's almost hard to tell what is tile and what is carpet.

The tables are set beautifully too. Gold napkins, folded into origami shapes (formal jackets in our section), lie elegantly on gold edged plates. And they have the coolest bread baskets shaped like Cinderella’s carriage. I know they would sell tons of these if they were available in the gift shop.

[​IMG]
    The beautiful place settings.

[​IMG]
    Perry eventually had to give up his "ride" so we had someplace to put the bread.

13. Dawncala

Dining Like Royalty (part 2)

Tonight was the French menu. We definitely indulged and tried quite a few dishes. DD’s favorite was the escargot. I know many people will not eat snail. DS is one of them and he was very specifically NOT watching DD enjoy hers. I’m not a huge snail fan either, but I’m adventurous enough to try one. Snails can be very chewy (think rubber tire) when they are not cooked properly so I let DH try one first. He approved. We’ve had them on the Wonder, where they are prepared well, and the Fantasy’s were equally as delicious. They are cooked in tons of garlic and butter and you eat it with a sliver of French bread. All those flavors together work very well, and if you can get past the fact that they are snails I would recommend you give them a try. If you can’t, there are plenty of yummy alternatives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Appetizers, Soups & Salads

[​IMG]
    Iced lobster and jumbo shrimp

[​IMG]
    :thumbsup2 Escargot

[​IMG]
    Pomegranate glazed duck breast

[​IMG]
    :thumbsup2 French onion soup - bubbling oniony, cheesy goodness

[​IMG]
    Avacado-citrus salad

[​IMG]
    Dinner menu

[​IMG]
    :thumbsup2 Angus beef tenderloin with garlic shrimp. So tender.

[​IMG]
    Roasted wild boar tenderloin. Tasty too, but I think the Angus won the taste war.

[​IMG]
    :thumbsup2 Rack of lamb with a dijon crust. DS's favorite and it did not disappoint.

14. Dawncala

Dining Like Royalty (The Final Chapter)

Dessert is usually anticipated, but I was aleady very full and was considering passing. Then the adorable “dessert invitation” arrived. It is shaped like an envelope with a faux wax seal, (so cute) and is a good example of that extra “Disney touch” we have come to expect. Upon opening it I suddenly found some room in my stomach when I saw they had the Grand Marnier Souffle tonight. Disney souffles are my Kryptonite, especially the chocolate souffle in Palo. (More on that later) Somehow I found the room and finished every last warm fluffy bite.

[​IMG]
    Somebody was certainly excited for dessert.

[​IMG]
    The details make the Disney difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Grand Marnier Souffle with a creme anglaise

[​IMG]
    Sweet Trio: (L-R) Mango cheesecake, Vanilla creme brulee, Peanut butter mousse

[​IMG]
    Strawberry short cake sundae

15. Strawberry's mom&dad

Strawberry's mom&dad DIS Veteran

bringing back good memories:goodvibes
    loving your report

16. goofymama

goofymama DIS Veteran

Mmmmm. I sure could go for a grand marnier souffle right now!!! One of my favorites of the cruise!

17. DisneyDoc5

DisneyDoc5 Making memories...

Perry looked fab on formal night, as did the entire family!!! Did you purchase the photo cd or do the point thing? I just can't justify the 300 or 400 bucks for that cd! I will probably by the new camera I want for the same amount and then just get our top 5 or 6 photos from Shutters. Loving the updates!
    Erin

18. RGirl

RGirl Change Is Good

I am LOVING your TR!!! Thank you for all the details about the Fantasy. There is not a lot of information out there about it yet, and we might just be booked to sail on the Fantasy next year. ;)

Can't wait to read more!

19. Andianna

Andianna Mouseketeer

Such a great report. :yay:Thankyou for sharing.

20. Dogsambam

Dogsambam Mouseketeer

Thank you for this amazing report! March 23 will be our first Disney cruise on the Fantasy, We have been on 13 RCCL (last year on the Allure), 6 Princess, 10 HAL, and a handful of others. We are very excited. This report is amazing!!!!

21. Shell54

Shell54 DIS Veteran

Love your TR:goodvibes We're on the Fantasy for a Western next May so Iam really enjoying everything about your TR..can't wait to read about the ports.