Maximizing Chance to be the lucky family to open DL

Meemoo

DIS Veteran
This is something I have always wanted to do! I am always so envious of that special family that is selected to open the park and get special photos! How can I increase my family's chance of being selected? I heard there is a similar thing at Cars Land too, is this right?

We were the family to open DCA one day and to be honest, I didn't even know it was a thing! We were the first people in line at the far right turnstile. We were pleasant and happy and waiting patiently - myself, DH and DS (11) and 2 family friends (they're like parents to me). We weren't all decked out in matching t-shirts or Disney clothes, so I honestly don't know what made us stand out.
Good luck! It was a memorable moment for sure, we must have had a little pixie dust sprinkled on us that morning :tink:

We were at the front of the line. Like the other poster said, we were pleasant and happy. Most of us were wearing Disney shirts of some kind.

But I really think DS clinched it for us. They said when they picked us that DS was just too adorable and they loved his smile. So I guess, have your kids act as cute as can be lol.

I've never heard of this before! What kinds of special photos do they take? We've never been in front for rope drop. Sounds like a really special memory for those that get chosen!

Our family had the opportunity to do this and it's a fantastic memory! We were one of the first families in line that morning (though not THE first) and we were at the front of our line. We were in one of the middle lines near where we saw cast members standing. Our daughters were 7 and 4 years old at the time. We smiled and said good morning to the cast members on the other side of the gate. We chatted with them briefly. They asked our family and a young couple to both help open the park. Before the countdown, the cast members took pictures of our family with our camera and the photos were pretty cool. We had the Mickey flowers in the background with no one else around. After the countdown, the masses came through, so even though we were "first in the park," lots of other guests were up Main Street way ahead of us.

How early would you say you need to arrive to be first in line? Our first morning will be a Tuesday and an EE for us.

image.jpg We are usually there at least an hour before opening. I like to be the first in line:) here we are at the magic kingdom with the mayor...

Last edited:
I've never heard of this before! What kinds of special photos do they take? We've never been in front for rope drop. Sounds like a really special memory for those that get chosen!

first family is at the gate and not the ropes. Hour early to touch the gate. I am a 40 min early in line and my depth back is about 10 folks.

We were selected on my DS's 6th birthday to open Disneyland. We arrived super early and were at the front of the line by the gates. We had brought one of DS's birthday presents to help pass the time (a gold Mickey pocket watch) and one of the CM's saw him opening it. He came over to check it out and my DS was so happy to show it to him (and tell him about his birthday). After that, the CM asked him if he would like to open the park. Before the countdown, the CM had everyone waiting in line sing Happy Birthday to my DS :) Unfortunately, no one offered to take our picture and I didn't even think to ask anyone so we didn't get any pictures once we were inside. We did have someone take a picture of us while we were still outside waiting in line (with our Honorary Guest buttons on that the CM had given us).

We were almost chosen once. We were first in our line at the gates and this lady pushed past us with her family. We didn't say anything because we were too gobsmacked ( and well being in another country and all I was making a 100% effort to be on my best behaviour! ). Well lo and behold they got picked as the family to open the park. Oh well we still had a great day! Good luck and I hope you get picked :)

So this seems a bit different from being selected "Family of the Day" at MK at WDW where you ride the train in with the characters for the opening show. Does anything like that ever go on at DL?

....she just shared that characters train their sights on being first and rush the gate when you are not lip smacking that metal gate. space is very dangerous at disneyland!! In 2007 they selected folks as family of the day, with fast pass basket and ride in the parade in a touring car as family of the day. But since Disneyland is not family friendly, who they goin to select?????

We got to do this once and it was magical. No special photo (I forgot to take one with our own camera even!), and no other perks. Just the idea of doing something special as a family was a great start to our vacation. I think we were one of the first 5 families in line at the security bag check, then the first one in line at a gate. It was me, DH, our four sons, my MIL and FIL. My youngest had never been to DL and my MIL hadn't been for a long time. I think we just looked super happy and excited. It took awhile to get us in the gate because they had to exchange our vouchers for printed tickets. We just had time to do the countdown and yell "let the magic begin" or something like that. My only tip is to get there early and be happy!

We opened DCA last year. There about 30 minutes early and were in the center. We were pretty excited and most of the families were really tired. As you can see my kids are not little, but always cute. They took pics with our camera. It was fun because people came up to us during the day and said they saw us open the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter