Max Occupancy in DVC Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Maistre Gracey
After the meeting, I chatted with Judi Kaufman (sp?), and one of the lead people in Member Services. I asked several questions, including occupancy rules, home resort retention when transferring points, and about housekeeping.
They responded that occupancy limits has just been raised to 5 adults in a 1br, with no additional bedding provided. Studio is still 4, and 2br still 8.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=6868151
Judy Kaufman is an outstanding guide, and has provided us with superb assistance through each of our purchases. I have complete trust that if she states there has been a change, that the change has occurred. This is wonderful news, and I'm glad to hear of this unofficial, very reasonable, needed change.

Certainly, Maistre Gracey has also proven to be very reliable.

Thank you for sharing this information. This accomodates a family of five with small children.

Great info.

I hope this thread is allowed to continue and that the need to attempt to battle this out here is not demonstrated, especially since 5 in a 1 bedroom with no additional linens provided seems so reasonable.

Originally posted by zfw4609
Will Disney allow 2 adults and 3 toddlers in a 1BR villa?
The key word here is "allow". As Doc pointed out, it seems that Disney is allowing five in a 1BR....just not facilitating it by providing the bedding for the fifth person.

I also believe that Disney will not put this change in writing...if they did they would certainly have to support the change by providing bedding, towels, etc.

I am just curious for the families that have two children - one male and one female - how are your sleep arrangements in a studio or a one bedroom? If one of the parents (like my dh) refuses to sleep with the child of the same sex for reasons like taking over the bed, getting kicked, etc. - where do you place everyone?

This is not to start a discussion with anyone who is not happy having 5 A in a one bedroom and they have two children male/female. I am just curious - if you look at all my threads/replies - I stay away from the occupancy thread like the plague. Do you bring an aoerobed? If so - isn't it tight and uncomfortable especially in studio? (I have not taken one yet - so I can't comment). Has anyone with two sexes (children) every done this?

I believe that "5 in a 1 bdrm" allowance is also caused by CRO bookings.
Friends of ours went to WDW this past July and stayed a OKW. They booked thru CRO and they are a family of five - 2 adults and 3 Teens. CRO put them in a 1 bedroom unit.

I believe that DVC may be having a hard time enforcing the occupancy limits if CRO is booking 5 in 1 bedroom units.

Originally posted by AnnaS
I am just curious for the families that have two children - one male and one female - how are your sleep arrangements in a studio or a one bedroom? If one of the parents (like my dh) refuses to sleep with the child of the same sex for reasons like taking over the bed, getting kicked, etc. - where do you place everyone?

This is not to start a discussion with anyone who is not happy having 5 A in a one bedroom and they have two children male/female. I am just curious - if you look at all my threads/replies - I stay away from the occupancy thread like the plague. Do you bring an aoerobed? If so - isn't it tight and uncomfortable especially in studio? (I have not taken one yet - so I can't comment). Has anyone with two sexes (children) every done this?

My kids are 8 & 10 (one of each) and they share a bed. They would love to have their own beds but they would also like to have ice cream for breakfast and be able to drive. ;) This year at HH they decided they would take turns between a sleeping bag and the sofa bed. I'm give them one night and then I think they will be back to sharing the sofa bed!

For my family it's just not been a problem -- thankfully!

Kristen :earsgirl:

Just wanted to share the information I was given by my guide before joining DVC. We are a family of 5. (DS is under 3 still) But this was a big question I had too. Did not want to always rely on 2 bdrm availablity. Apparently, the fire code is max 5 people in a one bedroom. If you exceed 5, you must goto the 2 bedroom. However, if child #3 is greater than 3 yo and doesn't sleep in the PNP they will not provide sleeping accommodations. (ie cot). This was verified according to my guide.
Hope this helps.

Bonnie

AnnaS We just returned from the VWL 1 bedroom villa. DS is 16 and DD is 13. There was no way they were staying in the pull out couch together. We brought a twin air mattress and i just called housekeeping and requested an extra pair of sheets and they brought them to me no questions asked. After they came in to clean the room i wondered if they were going to question me as to how many people i had staying in the room but they never did. It all worked out for us.

We are a family of 5- our kids are now 14, 12 and 8- while the 2 BR's are the best option for us (besides the GV's!!:earseek: ) a 1 BR would also be ok- I would just pack an inflatable air mattress for one of them- (my kids would be ok with taking turns on it, for some reason they just don't fight at Disney!!) Another option for us is to use cash on a Fri. and/or Sat. night in order to conserve some points and stay in the 2 BR. You get really really used to having 2 bathrooms and lots of space!!

I have a written response from Member Services that 5 people would be allowed in a 1BR at all DVC resorts, and it doesn't matter what the age of the kids is. If anyone wants the text of that response, I'd be more than happy to include the full response to you in a private message or via e-mail.

Brent

Originally posted by jbhaupt
Just wanted to share the information I was given by my guide before joining DVC. We are a family of 5. (DS is under 3 still) But this was a big question I had too. Did not want to always rely on 2 bdrm availablity. Apparently, the fire code is max 5 people in a one bedroom. If you exceed 5, you must goto the 2 bedroom. However, if child #3 is greater than 3 yo and doesn't sleep in the PNP they will not provide sleeping accommodations. (ie cot). This was verified according to my guide.
Hope this helps.

Bonnie
Bonnie, guides are not a reliable source, period. And no matter how much they say it, they have no power to change it.

Originally posted by kaseyC
I believe that DVC may be having a hard time enforcing the occupancy limits if CRO is booking 5 in 1 bedroom units.
DVC should have no problem enforcing the limits at this level. Where they'll have a difficult time is in people who say 4 and sneak in 5 or similar.

Originally posted by AnnaS
We are in the same boat and get a 2 BR or room that will sleep 5. Not directed at you but I get amused at those who feel DVC must create something that will work for a family of five or six. To me, it's no different than the cruise industry.

I could see why a 1 bedroom wouldn't work for three kids of different genders. We have all boys, so the eon bedroom works fine.

We've always found Judy Kaufman to be very reliable.

I agree that CMs cannot make changes. But it seems to me that a traffic officer has the leeway under the direction of his/her leadership as to whether they will give someone a ticket for going one mile per hour over the speed limit, or a little higher. Seems like CMs could tell us about leadership decisions as to whether 5 in a one bedroom will get a ticket or not.

For me, I don't think that the large size of a DVC one bedroom with it's own kitchen etc., where meals are individually paid for is the same as the small size of a cruize ship cabin where meals and table seating are included in the cost of the cruise. But that's just my take on it.

Glad to hear of the unofficial offical policy change. Either way our family of five would use our real estate interest in a manner that best fit our family's vacation point plans and comfort level. For us, that would generally include 1, 2 and 3 BR DVC stays and very few studio stays.:D

Glad to see a civil occupancy thread! It did make me laugh though, because we will have a 2 bedroom for our December trip for just 3 people! I really don't want to ask my friend to sleep on the hide-a-bed, so she will have the 2nd bedroom all to herself.

Originally posted by dianeschlicht
Glad to see a civil occupancy thread! It did make me laugh though, because we will have a 2 bedroom for our December trip for just 3 people! I really don't want to ask my friend to sleep on the hide-a-bed, so she will have the 2nd bedroom all to herself.

What? You wouldn't book a grand villa for the 3 of you??? Don't be so cheap! ;)

I have not seen anyone make the point that what if a 2 BR is not available, and you can only get a 1BR. Would you cancel your trip? Probably not. You would make do with 5 in a 1BR.

(If) you can only get a 1BR. Would you cancel your trip? Probably not. You would make do with 5 in a 1BR.
Obviously you haven't met my Uncle Harry.

Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
I could see why a 1 bedroom wouldn't work for three kids of different genders.

More than just the standard two genders?????

Sorry.. it struck me funny as worded.

Originally posted by Dean
Not directed at you but I get amused at those who feel DVC must create something that will work for a family of five or six.

We are a family of 6 and DVC has created something that is just perfect for us. The 2BR. It sure beats how we used to have to get connecting rooms.

HBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter