Mary Poppins on tour question - any good?

sunshine girl

DIS Veteran
Has anyone seen the Mary Poppins touring stage show? Can you recommend it (or not)? It's coming to my area in a few weeks and I was considering it. I'm not a huge theater-goer, but usually enjoy the popular shows (like Les Mis, Phantom, Wicked, etc.).

I am sorry if this has been covered, and if it has, please point me in the right direction! Can't seem to easily find an answer via the search on the DIS iPhone app here.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm going next Sunday and am super excited. It's the first in the series of touring plays that are coming here to Rochester. I'm pretty lucky and my mom gets us the season tickets every year for the past 15 years. I've seen too many plays to name! But when Mary Poppins was named for this year I was sooooo excited. I can let you know next week how it is :goodvibes

It will be in OKC next month, and I can't wait to see it!

For those of you that are going soon: Would you please check out the t-shirt display and prices? I'm wondering if I should just order the shirt from Disney shopping or if they'll have a bigger selection at the show. Thanks!

Ok, glad to see people are excited! I'm in the Detroit area and it'll be here at the end of the month. Thinking of taking my mom, but stillI on the fence!

Reviews on ticketmaster are great (4.6 out of 5 stars) but I'd rather hear it from my trusted DIS friends!

Went last year some time with my 5 and 9 year old. We all loved it. They were enthralled the whole time. It is the only big show we have seen recent enough for them to remember. I would recommend it.

I saw it on Halloween night two years ago. I really did not like it. The step in time scene/performance was wonderful but other than that, I thoroughly disliked it. The four other people I went with loved it, though, so maybe I was just in a mood. There were younger kids all dressed up for Halloween who seemed to enjoy it as well, if there are younger ones in your group. I would just say to go in not expecting it to match up much with the movie and enjoy the performance. I think my expectations were too high based in how much I liked the movie, as much as I knew that was a mistake. But again, I'm the only one I've heard indicate a poor experience, so I bet your group will have a good time. :thumbsup2

Saw it when it was in Melbourne, Australia a few years ago and I loved it! There are some bits which are slightly different than the movie but that's to be expected as it is also based on the books. The musical score is wonderful and I guarantee you'll be humming along. The dance choreography is also amazing!

I saw it on Halloween night two years ago. I really did not like it. The step in time scene/performance was wonderful but other than that, I thoroughly disliked it. The four other people I went with loved it, though, so maybe I was just in a mood. There were younger kids all dressed up for Halloween who seemed to enjoy it as well, if there are younger ones in your group. I would just say to go in not expecting it to match up much with the movie and enjoy the performance. I think my expectations were too high based in how much I liked the movie, as much as I knew that was a mistake. But again, I'm the only one I've heard indicate a poor experience, so I bet your group will have a good time. :thumbsup2

I didn't care for it either- its on the very bottom of my list as far as all the broadway shows I have seen- I actually nodded off at one point in the middle! Was not really up to Broadway standards as far as I am concerned. My daughter liked it but certainly not her favorite by far.

Saw it on Broadway and loved i so much saw it again locally about a year later. While the Broadway production was better, it is definitely worth seeing on tour! In fact, I'm going to see it on tour again next spring. Great show!

I saw it on tour last May and I loved it! Of course, I'm biased because one of my sister's friends played Jane Banks in the touring production, and now she's Jane Banks on Broadway, but even without taking that into consideration, it was a fantastic show and very visually appealing.

Wow! Some different opinions here. I guess that's to be expected, but now I'm still not sure whether to buy the tickets or not.

Thanks for all the input so far!

OMG! No lie- I literally just got home from seeing it TONIGHT! At Proctors in upstate, NY. It was AMAZING!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

Obviously they can't do all they did on broadway (things that happened "above" the audience- don't want to give it away for those who haven't seen it) but they sure were amazing.

The kids who played Jane and Michael were so good. Spot on.

Our family has seen it on the Broadway tour. None of us cared for it. Don't get me wrong.........the music, props, costumes, etc. are all great. (Well, I do NOT like the park statue's costume! :eek: ) However, we didn't care for it because it was more true to the book and not Disney's Mary Poppins. I do not want to give away any spoilers, so I will just leave it at we did not like something that happened in the play that did not happen in Disney's movie.
Our family loves Broadway shows......Phantom of the Opera, Lion King, Wicked, etc. Mary Poppins is one I do not care to see again just because I LOVE Disney's movie and prefer it.

Just a forewarning, do NOT expect it to be just like the Disney movie. It isn't. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I would have known that ahead of time. Maybe I was more let down because of my expectations since Disney's Mary Poppins movie is a classic hit at our house. We watch it so often and love it.

TLHB70 said:
Just a forewarning, do NOT expect it to be just like the Disney movie. It isn't. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I would have known that ahead of time. Maybe I was more let down because of my expectations since Disney's Mary Poppins movie is a classic hit at our house. We watch it so often and love it.

This is a good point. Thanks!

Overall, this is interesting since there are glowing reviews, but then it seems those people who didn't like it REALLY didn't like it. Thanks for all the opinions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter