Mary Poppins NYC trip- where $hould we eat?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by TenThousandVolts, Jan 21, 2008.

1. TenThousandVolts

TenThousandVolts <font color=darkcoral>I just gave 2 examples for t

Hi- I am headed back to NYC next weekend to see Mary Poppins. Budget minded suggestions for good/reasonable eats around Times Square and the Theatre District needed. We don't need anything fancy.

Also- not budget related- but a question for anyone who has seen the show-
    I have never seen the movie- should I see it before I go to the show or not?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. java

java <font color=darkorchid>I am embracing the Turkey B

4. kmk160

kmk160 Mouseketeer

Stage Deli.
    Great place to eat.
    Not very pricey at all and a great environment.
    Close to everything.
    Last time we were there, we were seated in a booth next to Tony Bennett.
    Neat experience!!!

5. TenThousandVolts

Do you remember where it is?

6. mbw12

mbw12 <font color=blue>DVC member<br><font color=red>Has

Saw the play this past summer....and have never seen the entire movie...so, NO, you do not need to watch the movie first. My daughter (8) has never seen the movie either and did enjoy the play also!

7. cnj

cnj Mouseketeer

John's Pizza is SOOOOOOO good there. I don't remember where it is exactly, just that it was across or near from the Westin Times Square we stayed at. Also, if you like themes, Jekyll and Hyde is not near there, but it is the coolest restaurant ever. It is scary themed and like eating in the Haunted Mansion. Very cool.

8. TenThousandVolts

Is John's in an old church? If so, I know that place and it is good and for the budget- We stayed at the Westin last month and it was close by.

9. cnj

cnj Mouseketeer

Yes, it was in an old church. We dream of that pizza. Thankfully, this wonderful Italian delicatessen moved in near us and makes wonderful pizza.

10. pezheadmeg

pezheadmeg feminsit turned fashion student

Charilie O's they're at 45th and 8th or 49th and Broadway. Last time for appetizers, dinner, and martinis the bill was around $45. And their food is to die for.

If you're doing the shopping thing, the Cellar Restuarant at Macy's Herald Square. The food is undescrible and totally in cheap price range for Manhatten.

Just stay away from the typical tourist places, Hard Rock and Bubba Gump have huge waits on the weekends and the food isn't more than typical diner fair.

11. ntink

ntink DIS Veteran

12. Teacher510

Teacher510 DIS Veteran

John's (former church) is on 44th St off 8th Ave across from Phantom. Joshua Tree on 46th off 9th Ave is very good. Avoid the chains like Applebee's which are often double the prices outside of Manhattan. There are a few other places but I don't know how many blocks from the theatre you'd like to go.
    The show is rather different from the movie so no need to see both.

13. kandeebunny

kandeebunny DIS Veteran

Junior's of Brooklyn, its next to the theater where Avenue Q is playing across from TKTS...to DIE FOR cheesecake

14. MEG&MINNIE

MEG&MINNIE DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2 We ate at Ellen's Stardust Diner on Broadway and 51 St.,twice.:thumbsup2 Last year it was packed a few weeks before Christmas, but this year dd11 and I went the week before Thanksgiving and it was fantastic ! The waiters and waitresses sing Broadway tunes,(sometimes on tables) entertaining the crowds while you sit back and enjoy your meal ! It's a 50's theme if that's something you think you might enjoy....it's great if you're dining with kids or teens !
    p.s. I saw it mentioned here on the Disboards ,so I figured I'd give it a try !

15. Floridagal23

Floridagal23 DIS Veteran

John's Pizza, Junior's, or Ollie's (which is now all the way down past the Port Authority, but still within a few blocks) for amazing, inexpensive chinese and the new restaurant is gorgeous (used to be in times sq)

16. MousekaMaddi

MousekaMaddi DIS Veteran

we saw the play last month and I was glad DD5 and I had seen the movie first, nice show!:love:

17. FormrCastMbr

FormrCastMbr DIS Veteran

I agree with Virgils, Johns and Ollies...:thumbsup2 Have fun!

18. luckyfin

luckyfin Coming out of hiding

While you don't need to watch the movie first, you may find it helpful. There are many differences between the two, the basic storyline is the same and that is sometimes lost during a stage production. The show is great, lots of surprises! Enjoy!:goodvibes

19. TenThousandVolts

Thanks- that is exactly why I was asking- I have seen productions where there is an assumed knowledge- and I have thought- 'if I hadn't seen the movie (or read the book) I wouldn't understand this'... I don't know if I have time - but if the opportunity arises before this weekend I may try to watch the movie.

20. PatriciaH

PatriciaH I want to be an Imagineer!

21. Terry36

Terry36 DIS Veteran

Yes the show is good. You do not need to see the movie before but it may help you to determine the differences.

We at @ Carmines and it was great...but alot of food.