Mary Poppins in London

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by Sarangel, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Sarangel

Sarangel <font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<

I found this in the SF Chronicle this morning:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DisneyKidds

DisneyKidds <font color=green>The TF thanks DisneyKidds for mo

I heard on an entertainment report this am that Disney was working with a producer to bring Mary Poppins to the London stage sometime next year. I'd imagine it's reasonable to assume that Broadway would follow.

4. Sarangel

Sarangel <font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<

Sorry, DK... I beat you to this one.

5. SnackyStacky

SnackyStacky <font color=9900FF>Disney Addict<br><table border=

It's Broadway future is questionable. Witches of Eastwick, one of Mackintosh's hits in London never made it stateside. Martin Guerre came to the states, but only out-of-town tryouts and tours. It was too weak for Broadway.

I'm hoping that it will come though!! :)

6. DisneyKidds

That you did! I completely missed your thread.........and you had better info than I did anyway.

Anyone think that Mary Poppins would do as well on Broadway as the Lion King or Beauty and the Beast? I'm thinking no, but I still think it is a good move.

Oh, BTW - I just took the garbage out and it is snowing (well, flurrying ;)) here in the lower Hudson Valley of NY. I'm a skier and all, but it isn't even Halloween yet :earseek:.

7. SnackyStacky

SnackyStacky <font color=9900FF>Disney Addict<br><table border=

LIGHT flakes flew in Buffalo. No where near a flurry, though, thank god!

I think that ANYTHING is better than the Lion King. It's visually and artistically amazing, but man....I thought the book was a mess! It was really boring, and I just didn't care for it at all.

As for whether or not it will be as popular, I don't know...I think Disney has a good track record when it comes to musicals that are from previously released Disney material. Not only is The Lion King still doing amazing business, but so is Beauty and the Beast! That's actually, from my experiences, one of the harder tickets in town to get.

Aida, on the other hand, while still fairly strong, isn't pulling numbers like The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast.

I think if Mary Poppins is done well, it will be successful. Other than Disney's others, Phantom is the only long-running, tourist-appeal kind of show. The others don't have too much appeal unless you're a hardcore musical fan.

8. DisneyKidds

I think that LK and B&TB have appeal to the younger set. Aida is for the adult set. I think that explains why that is happening. I do think Mary Poppins will have some appeal to the younger set, but not as much as LK or B&TB. As such, I don't think it will do as well. It will still be a success, but just not as big as LK and B&TB, IMHO.

SS - Light flakes in Buf = flurries anywhere else. Flurries in Buf would be a bone-fide snowfall most anywhere else. Gotta love those lakes.