1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Marriott Hotel in WDW

Discussion in 'Orlando Hotels and Attractions' started by hoff41, Jan 27, 2013.

1. hoff41

hoff41 We love us some cruisin'

I have A LOT of Marriott points so only makes sense to stay at a Marriott when going to WDW. Any suggestions on the best Marriott branded hotel? There are obviously a lot of options

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. hoff41

Anyone?

4. Lewisc

Lewisc <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

Gaylord Palms is now operated by Marriott. That would be my first choice. Courtyard by Marriott in DTD if you plan on relying on shuttle bus transportation to the parks.

You could use taxis to supplement GPs shuttle.

5. dis-happy

dis-happy DIS Veteran

It depends. How many points do you want to use? Most of the regular Marriotts are category 5. The timeshare ones and the resort are more. How many people are going? Do you need a suite style room? Free breakfast desired? Park transportation? Any pool considerations?

6. Lucky'sMom

Lucky'sMom DIS Veteran

There is no longer a Courtyard by Marriott at Downtown Disney. It changed into a Holiday Inn a few years ago. As another poster mentioned, it really depends on how many people you have, and if you're looking for free breakfast, a kitchen, etc. Here are some suggestions: Marriott Orlando World Center-this hotel is VERY close to Disney, and has an amazing pool area. The Residence Inn Lake Buena Vista-also close and has studio, one and two bedroom units with free hot breakfast. The 3 hotels at the Marriott Village at Little Lake Bryan include a Courtyard, Springhill Suites, and a Fairfield. They are in complex together and share a food court. The Springhill and Fairfield have free breakfasts. This area is close to Downtown Disney (but not in it). My family prefers the Marriott Vacation Club properties that have studio, one, two or three bedroom villas. Not every vacation club location offers each room type. Our favorites are Grande Vista and Cypress Harbour. Others include the 3 near the Orlando World Center Marriott which are Royal Palms, Sabal Palms and Imperial Palms. Many families with little kids love Harbour Lake. Hope this helps!

7. Lewisc

My bad. The Courtyard was closed for at least 10 years. I forgot. Gaylord Palms is also very close to WDW. POP is on the same road, other side of I4.

I agree, OP needs to decide what kind of accommodations he wants and how many points he has available.

I don't know if guests staying on points have to pay resort fees, parking fees and shuttle fees. Something to research.

8. hoff41

Thanks everyone, totally forgot about the details. I have a ton of points over 500K and dont travel that often so whatever points gets me the best accommodation. It will be 3 of us, my wife and my 3 year old daughter. Beyond that if the hotel has an executive lounge or free breakfast for Platinum im golden with breakfast, but if not breakfast is essential. We are hoping to stay for a week, separate places to sleep is a major plus (as long as there is a door between us and our daughter we are good, dont need 2 Bedroom). No specific pool consideratons.
    Havent decided on if i'm renting a car yet or anything open to suggestions.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

9. Jaco5nc

Jaco5nc Excited about our Upcoming Trip

We love Gaylord Palms!! It is 30,000 points per night.

10. hoff41

Jaco, did you have to pay the resort fee when staying on points?

Did anyone use the transportation to/from the airport to say how much it was a person?

11. Lucky'sMom

Lucky'sMom DIS Veteran

I wouldn't stay off-site anywhere without renting a car. With only the 3 of you, you can get a great deal on a small car rental.

12. Lewisc

I think you get a night free (on points) if you stay 4 (or 5?) nights. They don't really offer airport transportation. They have a link to Mears. Book R/T and you get a $2 discount ($32 instead of $34 R/T) Mears doesn't charge for an infant 0-3. A car service will cost around $100-$120 R/T.

You could use the Gaylord Palms shuttle to Disney, supplementing it with taxis as needed.

13. swilshire

swilshire DIS Veteran

The Gaylord would be terrific, but not worth the extra points if you are spending most of your time at the parks. Resorts don't usually have a concierge lounge, so breakfast would be expensive.

A Residence Inn 1br would probably be your best bet.

The previous poster is correct. You pay the same points for 5 nights as 4. 10 nights is the same points value as 8.

Sheila

14. youalleverybody

youalleverybody Rather be Soarin'

We stayed at Mariott Imperial Palms last year. We loved it. Very close to WDW, and loved having a full kitchen and laundry facilities in our room!! We stayed on points. It's a three bedroom, which we needed with our family size (5 kids), but I believe that the two and one bedrooms have similar amenities.

15. MattM

MattM DIS Veteran

Well the nicest of the Marriott resorts is the JW Marriott or the Ritz Carlton, both at Grande Lakes. They are the furthest from the parks, but are beautiful properties with excellent rooms, grounds, pools, etc.

That would be my choice.

16. DSLRuser

DSLRuser Age is a state of mind

Marriott World Center is the closest
    Still a nice place after 30 years of operation.

17. BadgerGirl84

BadgerGirl84 I used to have a tag...

I have stayed in Orlando three times on Marriott points. My guidelines are: close to the parks, free full breakfast (either for all or just Gold/Platinum), and a reasonable number of points. I have made my Marriott points from my business travel days stretch REALLY far.

My favorite that I have stayed at (twice now) is the Residence Inn Lake Buena Vista. Very clean, excellent breakfast, nice sized room, nice pool, close to tons of restaurants and the parks.

I have also stayed at the Fairfield in the Marriott Village but I didn't care for it as much because the breakfast wasn't all that great.

If blowing a lot of points and having a free breakfast isn't a big deal, I would probably stay at one of the Marriott timeshare properties. No guests get free breakfast at those resorts, not even platinum.

18. OrangeCountyCommuter

OrangeCountyCommuter DIS Veteran

No, it's not the closest. The Marriott branded products in Lake Buena Vista are closer

And as a person who spends 100 nights a year in Marriott branded hotels it's not "still a nice place" It's dead last on my options in Orlando. I only stay there if I have some professional meeting that requires it. Service is horrid, place is poorly run and parking is a nightmare. (Charge me to take a shuttle to your lot?? REALLY)

I stayed Marathon weekend at the Fairfield Marriott Village and was very pleased. I have also done both the Courtyard and Residence Inn in Lake Buena Vista. Courtyard is a little run down but often can be had for point savers or great rates.

19. DSLRuser

DSLRuser Age is a state of mind

I disagree. Staying in LBV, you have to fight the DTD traffic, where the world center has a straight shot into the parks.

I have stayed at the hotel and the condo properties many times over the last 20 years and never had an issue.

20. OrangeCountyCommuter

OrangeCountyCommuter DIS Veteran

But you will spend 20 minutes getting the shuttle to your car at the world center or if you pay MORE you can wait 25 minutes for a rude valet to show up with his palm out... (that's the one thing they are good at, asking for tips LOL!)

I timed it every time from the Marriott Village. Average time from my room to the GATE at the park 15 to 20 minutes (so that included parking the car etc..) The one outlier 3:20 AM on Sunday morning! ... that took 35 minutes with all the marathon traffic.:lmao:

Sorry, but I have stayed at the World Center enough times to say it's just badly run. They depend 100% on convention traffic and could care less if you actually enjoy the stay as they know the conventions just keep coming. If I had just had one bad experience I wouldn't trash talk it, but every time it's been a nightmare. (And don't forget that if you and your family are there they can, and will, close off large portions of the pool area for the conventions) My final blow was the time my friend couldn't get a working refrigerator or store her insulin anywhere. They refused to store the insulin and also refused to give her room a working fridge. What was she suppose to do? Luckily my fridge worked and we traded rooms. I wound up getting a boatload of apology "points" from Marriott, but....!)

For the price it's a RIP OFF! (And the Gaylord is a better straight shot IMHO)

21. dis-happy

dis-happy DIS Veteran

Honestly, best bet to beat the traffic is to stay on Palm and take the back road in (cross over 535 and enter on Vista or Buena Vista). If you're savvy you can avoid some parking fees too.

My usual choice is the Residence Inn for most of the reasons already posted.