Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Meets' started by everythingdisneyfan1, Dec 28, 2012.
Hi, sign us up. Mom & dad and two boys 9 & 4.....stateroom #: 6014
Log in or Sign up to hide this advert.
hey again. do i need to be invited to the group on fb? when i do a search it is still not coming up. sorry to be a bother?
No, it's an open group. No one else has joined yet, though. Try searching Disney Magic and see if you see it-with our date after. Try this: http://m.facebook.com/groups/352848008162083
PS- You can pay for your tips ahead of time. I did today- $360 for a family of 5! WOW!!!
Tips from Scapbookmama74:
What didn't I know on our First Disney Cruise??? I feel like I could publish a book about what I didn't know!
1. The doors are magnetic and lots of people decorate their doors.
2. PACK LESS!!!
3. Fish Extenders...didn't know about this one until our THIRD cruise! I hadn't yet discovered the DIS.
4. Bring an over the door shoe organizer with clear pockets...you will be amazed at the stuff that you put in it, and it really keeps the clutter down.
5. You can order Mickey Ice Cream bars from Room service...yummo!
6. You can't do everything...don't even try!
7. Bring different colored highlighters for each member of the family to mark up the navigators. Take a few minutes the night before to pick out a few things that each of you might want to do the next day.
8. That my oldest would not LOVE the clubs...she tolerated them but would rather swim all day long.
9. That you can request a specific server (doesn't help really on a first cruise, but you can ask for recommendations)
10. You can bring something to Guest Services to have signed by the characters...our pillowcases from our 2nd cruise are amazing!
11. Plan to purchase the photo CD, and "exploit" the photographers! Our dds on our most recent cruise treated the photographers like their own personal paparazzi, and we came home with over 350 photos from a 7 night cruise...its a bargain if you use it right!
12. Formal night is an awesome opportunity, so packing the formal wear is worth it. When else are you going to get all glamorous and take a family photo?
13. Don't rush to get to dinner each night...there is usually a line outside, waiting to get in. Why wait? Arrive a few minutes later and walk right in!
14. Don't go to the pool deck buffet (Topsiders or Cabanas) upon arriving, instead, go to the sit down restaurant to eat. It is still a buffet, with servers to bring you drinks, but is less hectic, and then you get to interact with CMs right away!
15. Arrive early for shows...really...and if you miss a show, its OK!
16. Seeing a movie onboard is pretty darn cool...took us 5 cruises before we made it, but it was fun! I might not do it every time.
17. Pirate night is fun...LOTS of people get totally dressed up, so don't feel silly getting all pirate-y.
18. Photos with characters is NOTHING like the parks. There is a minimal line, and many of the characters will interact with your children (and you!). Be sure to take the time. And, many times you will find characters just "roaming". One of our best memories is of our dd, 8, meeting Ariel (her favorite) on Deck 5, near the kids clubs, just walking with no one else around. My dd was in awe, and was able to talk to Ariel for about 10 minutes uninterrupted. It was so cool!
19. Pack LESS than you think...did I already say that? I MEAN it! lol
20. If you can, visit Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay. It's lovely, and the food down there is a little different than at Cookies (the Mahi mahi is awesome!)
21. There is a 5K on Castaway Cay...I had no clue. We have walked it twice, and gotten certificates, bibs, and medals for doing it. Its free and a FUN way to check out part of CC.
22. The mixology classes offered onboard are not to be missed, if you like to drink (even a little). It is a bargain, and the bartenders are usually a ton of fun!
I'm sure there are things that I'm forgetting. But, you are already ahead of the game, as you have found the DIS!
Don't stress...its a vacation! And, have an amazing time!
Thank you! This is our seventh cruise and the info was quite helpful.Some I know but the highlighters is a great idea! I just finished making the gifts for the fish extenders. I hope everyone enjoys them. I hope the kids likes theirs. We are getting close now. Is ther more chatting going on at Facebook???????
More tips from tips board:
Here's my .02
1) Unless you purchase the digital photo disk, Shutters determines the size of your photos. I thought that you could go to the kiosk and just print out the photos you wanted in the size that you wanted. Wrong. If they determine that a photo is an 8X10, then it is, no variance. I was disappointed by this because I didn't want to purchase the disk, but there were photos that I liked but I don't have a lot of 8x10's hanging around my house, usually 5x7 or 6x8. Which brings me to another point -- they print out photos in 6x8 size and that is very difficult to find a frame for, just sayin.
2) I had no clue of how "land sick" I would feel after we got off the cruise ship. I planned a couple of days at wdw afterwards and was just miserable. Next time, we will plan the park time BEFORE the cruise and then just have a few completely down days afterwards to recover.
3) On the same note, I thought the cruise was going to be this wonderfully relaxing experience and that we would be so rested and relaxed and ready to face the world when we walked off that ship. HA!! We were sooooo exhausted!
4) If, on your very first cruise, you book an aft balcony room, you will be forever spoiled and never want to stay in any other type of room. That might be difficult if you want to be budget conscious on future cruises.
5) I also echo, don't be disappointed if your kids don't like the clubs. I was. My 9 yr. old just thought it was too babyish. But, I do agree with the strategically planning the drop-off time. We did not do this and I do think it ruined it for him for the rest of the cruise, esp. them making him sit down at a table and stare at some food before being allowed to walk away and say he wasn't hungry. We had just eaten lunch on the pool deck and he really wasn't, but they wouldn't take that for an answer. I also did not anticipate how jealous my 9 yr. old would be of the 12 yr. old being in the Edge. I think the Oceaneer's Lab was the biggest disappointment of the whole cruise for us.
6) Mix vanilla ice cream with coke for a delicious treat.
7) Everyone says to ask for Mickey Bars via room service. I don't know if there is a better time than others to do this. We did it after dinner one night and ours came melted and fell off the stick before we were finished.
8)Alternatively, warm cookies and milk before bed is a terrific treat!
9) There is a room service breakfast menu card in the drawer that you can fill out the night before with what you want and what time you want it delivered to your room. Just hang it on your door knob before you go to bed. We found they were very punctual.
10) If you are travelling with a group or have kids old enough to leave the room without you, bring a magnetic whiteboard to place on the outside of your door to leave messages as to where and what time you will be places. Also bring this board to CC with you to leave on your lounge chairs because....
11) The wave phones are stupid and unreliable. They only vibrate. You cannot set them to ring. Since you are wearing your swimsuit 95% of the time you have no place to put this expensive phone that your are afraid to loose. Texting on them is also complicated. I hated these phones.
12) We didn't realize how much we would like wearing a lanyard. It made it so much easier than carrying around a bag, esp because of wearing your bathingsuits. Buy one before hand and save yourself some $$.
13) Skip a show -- or two. We were underwhelmed by them. Now that our 1st cruise is over, I doubt we will ever do them again. What we did enjoy was watching movies on the big screen by the pool at night when everyone else was at a show or in bed. Good times.
14) The movie theatre seats on the Dream rock and recline, an the theatre is COLD! Bring a sweater. I had to leave the movie to go thaw out.
Lastly, don't stress yourself out by over planning and overwhelming yourself with details. I did and I almost missed out on the fun of the whole experience.
The FB group is starting to get going. Join to see who you are Really talking to! LOL
great thanks i finally joined fb!!
Once onboard, how do you know when your room is ready: The passageways by the rooms are roped off from the elevators/stairways. When the rooms are ready on that floor, they take down the ropes and you are free to go in. They will still be bringing luggage to the rooms so the halls are lined with bags, but your key will get you in your room and if you are lucky your bags may be there.
Only 1 month away!!!
So my friend just got off the Magic this week! Tell me what questions you have and I will ask her
How many people do we need fish extender gifts for? Do most do a family gift or something for each person in the cabin? I'd like to start mine and need to know how many to make!
We are in major countdown mode! This is the first Disney cruise for my husband and I and our kids (DS 7 and DD 5) first cruise ever.
I am a little intimidated after googling fish extenders as recommended as I am not crafty at all, but it looks like too much fun to pass up, so count us in. We are in 2601. I am also new to DISboards, so I don't seem to be allowed to private message yet.
27 days and counting!!!!
How many are we up to for fish extenders?
Has anyone ever used walking talkies instead of wave phones? I've been reading sometimes it's easy to miss wave phone calls because they only vibrate. And we'll need 3, so though walkies might be an option.
We found wallis talkies to be kinda useless. Due to the steel construction of the ship the reception was poor sometimes. Also, if someone is in the pool or has their iPod on.... It proved senseless to us. However Dry erase boards worked wonders!! And we brought post its too.
Def highlight the navigator.
And try to get to at least one show. My cousin is them!
My friend, Amy & fam, is on your cruise & looking for your FB page.
Please friend request her (Amy Lunkenheimer Bugg) so she can find your page.
This is her first DCL cruise, my fam & I have been on 5 & I am helping her get ready for the trip!
Please add her cabin to the Fish Extender list. #5010
2 children, Maddie, 10 & Cameron, 14 (might not make 15)
She is having an issue with signing on to disboards...
So excited for all of you, I love the Magic...
Great! I am organizing the list and will be sending each person a private message with an list of everyone's information by the 15th.
I will add her to the list. Could you ask her to friend request Barbara Pescar as I am new to facebook. We do not have a facebook page going that I know of as of yet!
Got you on the list! It is really fun. Keep it simple!
I have everybody information for the master list and if anything is missing I will send you a PM. I will be making the list sometime Sunday evening. I will send out the first copy for you to check for any corrections. As of right now I count 12 but I always plan for a few extras that did not sign up. No one has answered my question about a Dis Meet- should we plan for meeting up on the second day at sea? The first day is always too hectic but the second usually is a good day if you want to meet up and see who you have been chatting with. Anyone up for it early in the am say 930 at the Promenade lounge let me know???? Watch for the list coming your way for first preview. Final call will be the 15th.
Separate names with a comma.