March 2013 Car rentals

Yes, you do need your spouse with you in the car when you leave the garage. Now, you can add him at the kiosk and have him with you when you leave the garage (not sure where you are going to pick him up after he gets the luggage, but, you cannot drive on the lower level). The easiest thing is to have him get the luggage and meet you in the garage if you want to add him to the contract. He needs to be on the contract if he is going to drive the car, even if you are an Insider. Something that was drilled into our heads during training.
From the website: An additional driver may only be added to the contract at a rental location and may be added or removed in the middle of the contract. When adding an additional driver in the middle of the contract both the renter and the additional driver must be present at the location.

Can I add him during online check in and then have him with me on check out? Also can I have him drive the car out of the garage if I make the reservation under my name?

Yes, you do need your spouse with you in the car when you leave the garage. Now, you can add him at the kiosk and have him with you when you leave the garage (not sure where you are going to pick him up after he gets the luggage, but, you cannot drive on the lower level). The easiest thing is to have him get the luggage and meet you in the garage if you want to add him to the contract. He needs to be on the contract if he is going to drive the car, even if you are an Insider. Something that was drilled into our heads during training.
From the website: An additional driver may only be added to the contract at a rental location and may be added or removed in the middle of the contract. When adding an additional driver in the middle of the contract both the renter and the additional driver must be present at the location.

So another question on this: cab I stop in at the CCC or some other location on another day and have my spouse officially added without the charge since I am an Insider?

Hi everyone,

There are some codes floating around that include CDW. There is a (justifiable) concern that folks are afraid of whether they are entitled to use Free CDW and whether it will pose a problem if they were to get into an accident. I did make a reservation with a code that includes free CDW and I was just able to remove it.

First, you cannot remove it from hitting the "modify" or "edit" buttons on your reservation. I tried this, and it has been accurately reported that it is not possible to remove it this way.

However, when I began the process of online check in, the options appear and CDW is listed as an option. On this screen it is easy to check the circle that says "decline".

It should be noted, if you are using a coupon, you are not permitted to use online check in. I cannot tell you with certainty whether the CDW can be removed at the kiosk. Perhaps someone else can?

Good luck!:hippie:

Hmmm. I was on the go all day but I will try it again tonight and post instructions. I made so many reservations yesterday for myself and family members that I honestly can't remember exactly how I did it. Also what browser did you use? Sometimes that can make a difference.

I use IE 10.0 I doubt that would make a difference, however.

Can I add him during online check in and then have him with me on check out? Also can I have him drive the car out of the garage if I make the reservation under my name?

Yes, you can add him at the kiosk and have him with you when you are exiting the garage, and yes, if he is an authorized driver, he can drive out even if you made the reservation under your name.

So another question on this: cab I stop in at the CCC or some other location on another day and have my spouse officially added without the charge since I am an Insider?

An additional driver may only be added to the contract at a rental location and may be added or removed in the middle of the contract. When adding an additional driver in the middle of the contract both the renter and the additional driver must be present at the location. This would require you going back to the airport in your case. But, yes, he would be a free additional driver.

All this information is on the Alamo web site under : customer support/contact us.

Mouselovers, I'll give another disclaimer. I know you all don't want to hear it, but I'll give it one more time anyway. You'll be listening with your wallets, so feel free to ignore...

There is a difference between using valid public codes and "finding" codes in places like FlyerTalk that, frankly, you will probably get away with using.

The FlyerTalk code some of you may be using may be perfectly legitimate and public. In that case. you should feel free to use it. However, my guess is it is not a public code. The red flag to me is that it includes CDW. To me, that sounds like a corporate code of some kind that some organization has negotiated with Alamo for use by their employees or affiliates.

Can you get away with it? Probably. Alamo at MCO does seem to be very lax about checking credentials.

Personally, I would never use a code that I couldn't backup. I don't know the workings of codes as to whether the organization that contracted with Alamo has to pay something additional per rental. My guess is probably not.

I will say this, however. Use the code if you like, but you better be really sure you don't get into an accident if that CDW is "covered". Drive carefully.

100% in agreement. You may 'get away' with it, but if an accident happens and you get sued, you will lose.

See Nationals website terms of use:
COUPONS
National provides specific discount coupons from time to time for the exclusive use of employees or members of specific entities with which National has a contractual relationship. These entity-specific coupons and the proprietary codes affixed on them are our proprietary property and may only be used by the employees or members of the specific entities for which the coupons apply. UNAUTHORIZED USE OR DUPLICATION OF ANY OF OUR ENTITY-SPECIFIC DISCOUNT COUPONS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Alamo's terms of use:
Alamo provides specific discount coupons from time to time for the exclusive use of employees or members of specific entities with which Alamo has a contractual relationship. These entity-specific coupons and the proprietary codes affixed on them are our proprietary property and may only be used by the employees or members of the specific entities for which the coupons apply. UNAUTHORIZED USE OR DUPLICATION OF ANY OF OUR ENTITY-SPECIFIC DISCOUNT COUPONS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

So anything with a CDW attached to it that you use, unless you are a member of the group for which it was issued, it's game over if you get in an accident.

100% in agreement. You may 'get away' with it, but if an accident happens and you get sued, you will lose.

See Nationals website terms of use:

Alamo's terms of use:

So anything with a CDW attached to it that you use, unless you are a member of the group for which it was issued, it's game over if you get in an accident.

Absolutely correct. It is also "game over" if you don't purchase CDW or the other coverage they offer and you don't have a back up with either your own auto insurance or a credit card.

Ok, so I am doing online check in now for Alamo and I was able to decline the CDW coverage. You can uncheck the box during that process for anyone that was wondering.

Does all the talk above about CDW being included and then being sued if having an accident only apply to the Alamo code from Flyer Talk, or does it also apply to the KLM code for National? I was under the impression that as long as you've signed up for Flying Blue through KLM you were entitled to use that code.

Does all the talk above about CDW being included and then being sued if having an accident only apply to the Alamo code from Flyer Talk, or does it also apply to the KLM code for National? I was under the impression that as long as you've signed up for Flying Blue through KLM you were entitled to use that code.

If the KLM code is offered thru their Flying Blue club for its members, you're certainly entitled to use it. If it's an internal corporate code for KLM employees to use while traveling, you probably shouldn't. I don't know the source of that code; I would think you'd be able to find it on the KLM website somewhere if its for the frequent traveler club.

Southwest sent me an offer for Budget (it read "by e-mail only", so may not work for others?). It's the first legitimate code that has worked for me over Easter: BCD U072756 and Coupon MUAZ023
Mid-size $236/week including taxes
Full-size $252/week including taxes

Dont be afraid by those fee including.

This code was originally from the KLM/FLy blue membership page where you click "Earn Miles from partners".

Now, the KLM has that page dropped and National Car is not shown as their partner anymore. However, on Nationalcar.com, KLM is still listed as partner and the code is still valid.

Shouldnt have any problem of using it.

If the KLM code is offered thru their Flying Blue club for its members, you're certainly entitled to use it. If it's an internal corporate code for KLM employees to use while traveling, you probably shouldn't. I don't know the source of that code; I would think you'd be able to find it on the KLM website somewhere if its for the frequent traveler club.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter