March 15' TR: Cruising into my 30s on the Dream! *PTR Link Added! 3/28/16*

First Glimpse of the Ship and LUNCH!
(March 20th, 2015)
*Happy Saturday everyone! I'm enjoying my final few days off before a 40 hour work week coming up! I've told my roommate I have been obsessing over DCL videos on youtube…I need another cruise haha. Pricing research has already begun for March!*

When I left off, we had just set foot on the Disney Dream!

It was just as beautiful as I had remembered it! Since we noticed no line at guest services, we went there immediately to put gift cards and Disney reward dollars on for our spending account. We also wanted to verify the $50 travel agency credit and the $50 drink credit from using Disney Visa. Both were there along with our gift cards. I also signed up for the Castaway 5k (still deciding if I had wanted to do it.) The CM said that the system hadn't rolled over to register but she took my info and left a confirmation on our door later that day. She was a gem! After we took care of guest service items, we made our way up to Deck 11 to find lunch at Cabanas! On the way, I gave mom the pool deck tour!

First up, Adult-land…paradise!

Glass bottom hot tub! I wish I had used this more on this cruise but it the weather was much warmer this trip and the pools closed at 10pm making it impossible to take a dip after dinner…one of my few complaints. I don't remember the pools closing that early two years ago or if they did, it wasn't an "official" closing and you could use them quietly. This year, they fully closed at 10pm..sadness when you want to relax after dinner!

2nd time on the ship, still have not set foot in here!

Family Poolside! As much as I love children and will love to have my own some day, I cherish the time as a single gal on the cruise because it won't always be like that (unless going without kids, empty nest, or kids clubs). Besides the Aquaduck, I have not been in the family pools or hot tubs.

As you pass the pool deck, that's where the drink station is. We used this now and then but spent the majority of the time in the adult area with adult drinks but we did fill bottles at the drink station from time to time.

We finally made it into Cabanas and so did everyone else! Enchanted Garden was also open for lunch (maybe Royal Palace too) but I feel like it's tradition to start with Cabanas, especially on a 3 night cruise when you might not eat there again (besides breakfast.) It was packed of course. We walked around to the back since I read after my first cruise that there are always seats in the back. I guess everyone else read the same because it was packed. We made our way back to the front and found a seat next to the glass window!

Tradition…getting the fruity drink of the day with the collector cup. It's around $10 including the automatic gratuity (15%) and the refills run $3-$5…I can't even honestly say how much they were, it's so magical to just give them your room key and cup and then just sign when they bring back the bill..haha

The food was great too! As you can see they have everything from Mac and Cheese to peel and eat shrimp to sandwiches and chicken fingers. They have salads and desserts too! It's probably the biggest buffet I have ever seen! They have the same options all around the back half so no matter where you sit, you can get the same thing. The drinks are self serve and CMs will come around and clear your table/ask if you want any fruity adult drinks. Mom was very impressed already! That's the Disney Difference!!!

I guess at this point, I'll point out that we did not bring any booze and/or water on the ship. You are responsible for transporting it until your room is ready. I didn't my first cruise and I didn't on this cruise but if I cruised more than once a year, it would probably save some money but it's vacation so..ya..lol

Before you know it we were fed, had fruity drinks and were ready to explore the rest of the ship! On our way out of lunch, they had stands set up selling bottled waters and cooler bags for your room. We ordered a 6 pack of Evian for $9 ($1.50 a bottle) (same price as Dasani) and was told it would be sent to our room. We passed on the cooler bag but wished we had bought one when we went to Atlantis…but don't worry, DCL did make a sale on them from us eventually and not one bag but two haha!

And now, on with the ship tour!!!!

*Trip Tips:*
~#1 You can buy bottled water on the ship, handy to have in your room for late night!

~#2 If you buy the drink of the day cup, you can get discount refills!

~#3 Try the back of Cabanas for seating, unless it's full! Enchanted Garden is also open for lunch but doesn't offer you the same great views!

Up Next:
Bars, Clubs, and Restaurants... OH MY!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hey great report so far :) I love the tips at the end of the posts!

Could you explain a little more about the drink of the day souvenir cup? Can you keep the cup? and can you get the discount every day or just the first?

Thanks!

Hey great report so far :) I love the tips at the end of the posts!

Could you explain a little more about the drink of the day souvenir cup? Can you keep the cup? and can you get the discount every day or just the first?

Thanks!

Thanks for reading! You pay $9-$10 for the first drink and then $3-$4 for the drinks after that. The CM will take your cup and bring it back filled with your check (auto 15% gratuity is added on all drink bills.) You get to keep the cup. This trip, I ended up with 2, you'll find out where the 2nd one came later on! Not sure if you can use them at Castaway Cay because they had a "sipper" cup with a lid and straw cover that I opted for instead bc of the sand. We didn't' even bring the cups to CC. So yes, you can keep them and they are plastic! I just looked it up on our room bill and it was $21.85 for two of the drink cups and a 6 pack of Evian from our first day and I'm pretty sure $9 (plus tax) of that was for the Evian. Hope that helps!

I'm enjoying your TR and looking forward to the next installment! :)

Thanks for following along!

Enjoying your TR so far! I'll be following along!

Thanks for joining!! I'll be doing another post today since I'm off work because after today, life will get a little crazy with working the next two days and then preparing to travel north for 2 weeks!

Hi Megan!

Great start to your birthday celebrations :)

Looking forward to all the details of your adventures with your mom!

Ship Tour!
(March 20, 2015)
Hi Everyone! Sorry I have been MIA. Life was crazy before I left for my PA vacation and since I've been in PA, it's been busy seeing friends/family and having a bridal shower for my future sister-in-law! I finally have time to post an update, so here goes!

When I left off, mom and I had finished lunch at Cabanas and were ready for a ship tour! The ship offers guided tours but we decided to explore on our own. I have never taken the guided ship tour but what better way to learn than on your own?!

Because we would lose a day at sea and a night on the ship, we didn't go to the District as much as I would have liked but we did go!

I love the floor in the District…so magical!!!

After exploring the District, we were then on the tour of restaurants!

A CM walked by and asked if we wanted our Pic taken so we said sure!

I forgot to take mom to show her the kids club area since they were having open house but we did pass by on another day so she was able to look in to see all of the kids club greatness!

Eventually we made it back to where we started, looked at the movie theater, and found a friend! We also went to Shutters to find which album our pictures would be in. It was a smart idea because every night it was packed with people. I really wish they would expand this area!

After the ship tour, we decided to head towards the forward of the ship since it was almost 1:30pm and our stateroom would be ready! We took the mid ship elevators to deck 9 only to discover a ton of people waiting in the mid-ship area so we decided to head up to deck 11 and walk to the forward of the ship and then down to deck 9 again!

Of course it was still closed but we waited 5 mins until they opened!

TRIP TIPS:
~It's okay to tour the ship on your own without a guide

~The Kids Clubs will be open to tour if you are an adult without children

~Find your album at Shutters while it isn't crazy/busy with people!

~Characters will be roaming!

UP NEXT:
STATEROOM BIRTHDAY SURPRISES!!!

Yea! Fellow Pittsburgher here! pirate: Going to join in. Can't wait to see the rest!

DD (10) and I are doing a Mother/ Daughter cruise on the Dream as well...on our first DCL cruise. :banana: So happy you're TR is on the Dream!

Hi Megan. I'm so glad I found your trip report. I'm thinking about doing a Disney Dream 3-night cruise with my sister - just adults, just girls...just like you and your mom! You're even the same age as us (fine, I'm a year older!). So, I'm following along. :)

Hi everyone!!! So sorry for the delay. The fall semester has been crazy and my Christmas also super busy. I'm beginning cruise withdrawal so I decided that I would finish the report in the hopes that it helps with my cruise sadness and hopeful to book another soon! Not sure how many are still following but I'll continue anyways :)

Anxiously awaiting more of the story....:snail:

It's coming up soon!

Very cool. Great tips too. Keep it coming...

Thanks!

Yea! Fellow Pittsburgher here! pirate: Going to join in. Can't wait to see the rest!

DD (10) and I are doing a Mother/ Daughter cruise on the Dream as well...on our first DCL cruise. :banana: So happy you're TR is on the Dream!

Hi Megan. I'm so glad I found your trip report. I'm thinking about doing a Disney Dream 3-night cruise with my sister - just adults, just girls...just like you and your mom! You're even the same age as us (fine, I'm a year older!). So, I'm following along. :)

Thanks! Sorry for the delay!

Stateroom Report!
(March 20, 2015)
Sorry again for the delay! My fall semester contained a job promotion, being in two weddings, and taking a class online to renew my teaching certificate! Christmas was a week back in PA and then a week at WDW with my sister's family.

Here's the continued report!!!

When I left off, it was nearly 1:30. We had been on the ship, did a tour, ate lunch at Cabanas and now it was time to see our stateroom! Our room was two down from my room a few years ago. It was pretty affordable to have a verandah room with a slanted wall so after reading reports bout the room, I though a verandah is better than no verandah!

I walked in to a wonderful surprise!

My mom and dad had gotten the DCL birthday package! If you are looking for a decoration birthday package, this was wonderful! I of course kept everything and would love to use it again some day. I've used various parts of it at WDW for friend's birthdays! It also included a magnet on the bathroom door! I refused to put it on the outside of our door for fear it would be taken! They also got me the hidden Mickey flower bouquet which I loved and fit perfectly into my DCL cooler that I ended up buying. My friend's parents got me a champagne package too!

After the shock of all my surprises, I then did an official room tour!

I also go my first official Castaway Club gift…Silver CC tote bag.
Already I was impressed with all of the surprises in our stateroom and then we went out on the verandah!

Trip Tips!
~In Room surprises are great and you get to take them with you!
~Must use your room key to turn the lights on!
~Lanyards are a must! Magic Bands at WDW are nice too! hehe

Up Next: Verandah Tour!

Verandah Tour!
(March 20, 2015)
I figured I would go ahead and finish the update for today. With the new changes to The Dis, I'm not sure what the limit of pics is per post so that's why I broke it up. I'm finishing up laundry and watching Star Wars so I figured I would finish cruise posting too. What would be better than a Saturday night at home with Star Wars and Cruise Pics…a Star Wars cruise!!…..In my dreams….

After all the room surprises, I decided to check out the verandah. As I said before, it was pennies between an ocean view and an obstructed verandah. Maybe not pennies but a few dollars difference. After doing extensive research (thanks to The Dis) and speaking with our Dreams Agent, I decided to have her book the obstructed verandah. Two DCL trips in the books and both with verandahs…now I'm spoiled for forever…but would I appreciate an obstructed verandah compared to the super duper expensive verandah I had 2 years prior that was two doors down??!!

Yep!!! We loved it! Reports had said it is 50% obstructed but it wasn't obstructed enough that I wouldn't rebook the same room for another cruise. It was the perfect room, perfect location, and much cheaper than normal verandah rooms!

I've quickly realized that every family is different in terms of where their room is located. I personally love the forward. It's near the shops, shows, adult pools, spa, and guest services. I wouldn't mind trying a stateroom in the back of the ship at some point, especially if I had kids that were using the kids pools and kids clubs.

Mom ended up loving the verandah too. We both admit that if it was between going and not going and an inside room vs. verandah, we would do any room as long as we could go but a verandah is pretty great!

It didn't occur to me until the next day, that people might want a better view of the obstructed verandah so here it is

Sitting in the chairs, you can hardly notice and as other posters had mentioned, it also kept the room slightly cooler than a full size verandah.

After our verandah tour, we decided to change into swimsuits and hit the adult pool! This was a change from the first time I cruised. I spent the majority of the first day walking around but now knowing the ship, we had toured enough an now it was time to swim!

Just as we went to walk out, we opened the door to discover our bags had arrived! We wheeled them in and left for the pool!

Trip Tips:
~The Dream obstructed verandahs are A-Ok!
~Nothing says sailing away like in the comfort of your own verandah!

Up Next:
Swimming and Sailing Away!

Swimming and Ship Tour Cont.!
(March 20, 2015)
After hauling our bags into the room, we headed up to deck 11 for the adult pool. I can't wait to some day go back on the Dream and see the new addition they added. I'm sure it's amazing!

We found chairs and scoped out the nearest bartender for adult drinks. After waiting a few mins, we decided to head to the bar around the corner. It was then we "people watched" a group of probably 30/40 somethings who obviously had been drinking for quite some time and were rowdy in the adult pool. Both mom and I thought that it would not end well for them and for one of them later in the trip..it didn't!

After we found good seats, we decided to try the pool. It was then my first mishap of the trip occurred. I didn't notice the edge was slippery/wet and I slid right on my thigh. I learned after that to always use the rails or to sit my bottom on the edge and slide in! I had a pretty nasty bruise after that!!!

After a dip in the pool and hot tub, we dried off and I realized, I forgot to show mom what Palo and Remy look like. We didn't have plans to visit either since it was only a 3 night cruise and mom wanted to try all the main dining options but as it turned out, we should have stayed on and did Palo brunch instead of Atlantis (more on that later!)

After our Palo Remy tour, it was close to 3:45 and we needed to prepare for the Muster Drill. Yes, I was the girl who toured Palo and Remy in a swim cover up….

Off in the distance, we saw not friendly skies and wondered if they would move the Sail Away party indoors…

We had about 45 mins before the MD so we decided to unpack. It was a smart decision because we had a super busy night ahead and with only being on the ship for 3 nights, you need to max your time! I also took a few mins to decorate our stateroom door before the M.D. We booked the cruise in Jan and sailed in March so I was too late to join an FE group but one day I will!

We went to the Walt Disney Theater for our M.D. We arrived early and noticed we were grouped with those in Concierge. Mom was joking saying that if we go down, we'll be in good shape with that group :yay:8-) After the drill, we went up to deck 12 to get ready for the Sail Away party! It was then that we noticed that all the ships docked around us had left and it was soon our turn!

Trip Tips:
~The pool was virtually dead before sailing away!
~Next time I'll book Palo or Remy!
~Join FE groups early!

Up Next:
Sailing Away!!!!

Last edited:
Sailing Away!
(March 20, 2015)
When I left off, mom and I had made our way to deck 12 to watch the Sail Away party! The first thing we did was find a spot. The 2nd thing we did was get fruity sail away drinks!

2 years prior, strong storms had gone through and the Sail Away party was moved indoors. It turns out there were actually tornado sightings near by P.C. The party indoors was crowded but it was interesting to see! The weather now had shifted and the party was set outside!

Call me crazy but after the show was over, I noticed we were moving! When they did the sail away inside, there was a gap of time between when it was over and when we began moving so this time it was for real! The real outdoor sail away party and actually sailing away! The show wasn't nearly over and mom and I rushed down to deck 9 to watch from our verandah! There's nothing like being in the comfort of your own verandah and waving as we sail away!

Before we knew it, we had reached the coast! Fun tip…a restaurant at PC does a live webcam of when ships leave PC. A tip if you know of anyone sailing out of PC or just want to watch for the heck of it. We were almost to the coast when mom realized she forgot to download the DCL app :rolleyes1 We never did use the wave phones and we could have used the texting feature of the app but she forgot and away we sailed! Apparently later in the year, they began offering some free internet but I read the Navigator cover to cover more than once before we sailed and there was no mention of free internet so we went without for 3 nights. And just like that, we were on our way!

I honestly forgot how pretty some of these pics are! After officially sailing away, we began to get ready for our first night on the Dream!

Trip Tips:
~PC webcam to watch those sailing away!
~Watching from your own room is just as nice as being on a top deck
~The sail away fruity drinks were amazing!

Up Next:
THE GIFTS SHOPS ARE OPEN!!!!!!!!!

Joining your TR! So excited, we share the same birthday except I turned "4-0" this year!! :P
I also celebrated on the Dream in March but it was a week before my birthday as I had to go during Spring Break when my kids were out of school. Looking forward to reading!

Will you be doing a TR for your Magic Cruise??!!!

The Gift Shops Are Open…and who is our Stateroom Host?!!!
(March 20, 2015)
*This will probably be my last post for the week! I have a 4 day work week thanks to the holiday today but I also began an online class for my teaching certificate renewal so between those two things and I'm also scheduled to work a shift at WDW this weekend (because I'm a crazy girl who forgot to change her availability,) I'm not sure when I will be able to post again. I doubt I have many followers but just noticed that my views went from 2,000 to 4,000 over the weekend so there are some lurkers out there!! We've also been having trouble with my internet. I watched the Dreams podcast earlier and our internet cut out 10x in the 40 min show so tech support is coming to the apt on Wednesday! It's making it very hard to upload new pics so until it can get fixed, I'll leave you with this post!

When I left off, we were busy sailing away!

Mom unpacked what little she had left and I was busy organizing too. Like I mentioned before the trip, one of my little girls at school bought me a Tsum Tsum (all the rage here!,) for my birthday so I told her I would take pics of Minnie Tsum Tsum on the cruise. Sadly these are the only 2 I took because after that it got pretty busy!

And Pics sailing away, no more land!

And then one of the trip dilemma's occurred! So long story short, we didn't request a dining rotation but I was hoping for the rotation I had 2 years ago which meant having Pirate Night at Animators Palette (AP) and optional dress-up at Royal Palace (RP) which we did get the rotation of EG, RP, and AP but they changed the nights of dress-up and pirate night meaning we had pirate night at RP and dress up at AP. I had packed for my ideal dining rotation so I was left with what to wear because I didn't want to wear my pirate garb at Royal Palace even though it was Pirate Night so I was in need of a new outfit

Once we left the shore, the gift shops opened at 6, perfect timing to find an outfit for dinner! Mom suggested we get seats for Golden Mickeys and then shop so we did just that! Before the show, we got popcorn got seats for the show!

Right as the show began, a lovely family sitting behind us with adorable children decided to translate the whole show into English and that wasn't going to work for the next 45 mins or so, so we changed seats after the first scene. Mom enjoyed the show and of course you get chills but I told her just wait until Believe!

After the show we hit up the gift shops and hit them hard! When you live in Orlando and have WDW in your backyard, you tend to notice the same stuff every time you go but a DCL trip is much different! It's a whole new world of gift shops and I get my CM discount!

We wandered around. Mom bought some Alex and Ani bracelets for herself and my SIL (I already got one for Xmas.) and then I hit my jackpot. I found a brand new DCL skirt that would match perfectly with the rhinestone black tank top that I had on (and I didn't have to wear my jean capri's to dinner!) Have you ever been in the fitting rooms on DCL??!! They have a porthole and a cute little bench where you can sit and just contemplate your possible purchase! In any event, here's the skirt...

It wasn't a cheap skirt but I knew it would be worn again when I taught at school and I was right! Thus I could justify the cost. I bought the skirt and I was happy…until mom mentioned she forgot to pack a small bag/wristlet to use in the evening so back to the gift shops we went. I had brought a Dooney and Bourke wristlet with me which I was fine using until I found this little beauty….

Believe it or not, I did not own a cross body bag until this one. I had extra money from birthday and Disney Reward dollars that I had saved up and with my discount made this beauty only $6 out of pocket. It was perfect and solved our bag problems. Mom took my DB wristlet and I carried this beauty. I was worried about the white but I figured better to use it and show use than to let it sit and collect dust!

Needless to say, we had a successful night of shopping so far! We took the bags up to our room, I changed into my new skirt, and we left for dinner right on time! On our way out the door, I took pics of my two new cups! Sadly, my pink one has broken since I got home but it just means I need to get a new one!

Also, I forgot to mention earlier that it had been all day and we had not yet met our stateroom host. I thought it was odd that he didn't' stop by when we were unpacking earlier or doing our room tour but figured it would happen at some point. As we were leaving for dinner we finally met him! He was awesome, friendly, and always asked what our plans were. Needless to say, he got extra tips at the end of the cruise! Here's a better shot of my CC bag. I guess they've changed since last year, also a reason to go again!

So after a successful shopping trip, a great show, and a snack of popcorn, we were finally ready to head to dinner!!!

Trip Tips:
~Pack at least an extra dinner outfit if unsure what your dining rotation will be
~You can buy (not free) popcorn before the start of the shows

~You can't take pics at the shows so take them before it begins
~Gift shops open about an hour after you set sail

Up Next:
Our First Dinner and Who Will Be Sitting With Us?????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter