Marathon Weekend 2016

Does anyone know when the marathon sold out last year? I see it's currently at 84% - I'm hoping to sign up and make this my first full marathon, but due to some travel constraints with my work, I won't know if I can do the race until mid- to late September.

Also, does anyone remember if/when rD offered a discount on the marathon registration fees last fall? I remember seeing something where they released some extra Goofy entries late in the fall, and it seems like they also dropped the marathon registration fee at some point but I don't remember.

I am glad you decided to go for it and sign up. I am not sure about the answer to your questions because I can't remember when it sold out last year. But, you could always sign up and if you can't make it you can defer it to next year in a worst case scenario?

Does anyone know when the marathon sold out last year? I see it's currently at 84% - I'm hoping to sign up and make this my first full marathon, but due to some travel constraints with my work, I won't know if I can do the race until mid- to late September.

Also, does anyone remember if/when rD offered a discount on the marathon registration fees last fall? I remember seeing something where they released some extra Goofy entries late in the fall, and it seems like they also dropped the marathon registration fee at some point but I don't remember.

As cavepig said, the original entries sold out in May. In late-August/early-September (?), rD cut a number of Goofy Challenges in Half and Full entries. The half sold out quickly (not surprisingly) while the marathon remained open until the weekend of the NYC Marathon at which point rD simply stopped taking entries.

Just stopping by for anyone still deciding on ADRs for marathon weekend. Here's a new Breakfast and Lunch option for Epcot. Lunch will be similar to dinner...and here is the breakfast option below. I dropped my Akershus princess breakfast on 1/8/15 at 8am to grab this Garden Grill one at same date and time. Works better for us (not running any races that day and we already have CRT princess meal the next day.)

From Disney
"Beginning November 8, Garden Grill Restaurant will begin serving up breakfast and lunch in addition to dinner. The new Chip ‘n’ Dale’s Breakfast Harvest Feast will have all the fixin’s served in an all-you-care-to-enjoy family style. What’s on the menu? Look for breakfast favorites like biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, Mickey waffles, and their signature item, Chip’s Sticky Bun Bake.

Also running related question. Being a high school athlete and one that plays football, our season is starting in a little over a week. School won't start until September but when it does I may be in a training bind. I'll have school from 7:45 in the morning until 3 and then football practice from 3:30 to about 7. Running after practice could be an option but I would need to eat something before running because I wouldn't have eaten anything since lunch time during the school day. I'll also probably be quite tired from practice as well. And by the time I would start running after practice it would be dark out so that's why I'm kind of like what do I do. I kind of had the same problem last year with the 10k and it worked out but that training wasn't as rigorous as half training will be. We will likely do some type of conditioning at practice every day as well.
I know it isn't ideal, but 5:00 AM is looking like a good option for most of your mid week runs. The plus side is, you will be accustomed to waking up early and running. 5 AM wake up, run from 5:15 to 6:30, eat, shower and on the way to work by 7... Morning runs make for a very productive work day. Good luck!

How often do the buses leave from the resorts on marathon morning? I have read that you have to be on a bus by 4:00 AM marathon morning in order to arrive on time. If I get down to the bus stop by 3:45, would I be pushing it a little to close? To clear up another question, aren't all the resorts on Disney property a "Host Resort" for the running weekend? Thanks

I have seen it both ways. Huge line of runners at a resort having to wait 10/15 minutes or so for a bus and other times there would a long line of buses waiting for the runners. As fast as you could load up and pull out there was the next one. This was over at POP one year for January Half.

Has anyone worn athletic toe socks. I've never even worn regular toe socks but I can see where this could benefit the feet and toes from blisters and possible hot spots.

How often do the buses leave from the resorts on marathon morning? I have read that you have to be on a bus by 4:00 AM marathon morning in order to arrive on time. If I get down to the bus stop by 3:45, would I be pushing it a little to close? To clear up another question, aren't all the resorts on Disney property a "Host Resort" for the running weekend? Thanks

Yes, all the resorts are host resorts and so there will be transportation from each resort.

Are you trying to get in as much sleep as possible? I would think getting in line by 3:45 would give you plenty of time.

Has anyone worn athletic toe socks. I've never even worn regular toe socks but I can see where this could benefit the feet and toes from blisters and possible hot spots.
I wear Injinji toe socks, and love them. My toe next to my pinky toe curls (on both feet) so without toe socks would get smashed by the other toes and get big blisters. I do get the mid-weight for the extra cushion. I don't get any blisters at all.

I wear Injinji toe socks, and love them. My toe next to my pinky toe curls (on both feet) so without toe socks would get smashed by the other toes and get big blisters. I do get the mid-weight for the extra cushion. I don't get any blisters at all.
Those are the socks that raised this question to me. I saw the name on a Twitter post for the shoes I wear. I don't get blisters usually but I can tell they are not far off. Did it take getting used to wearing and running in them

Those are the socks that raised this question to me. I saw the name on a Twitter post for the shoes I wear. I don't get blisters usually but I can tell they are not far off. Did it take getting used to wearing and running in them
It felt a little weird the first run with them, but after that I don't ever even notice them. I do stretch them out with my hands first so they slide over my toes easier when putting on. I've worn them for 2 years now. I have been wearing medium (I wear size 8 or 8.5 shoe) but just ordered 3 pairs of large today because they were on sale at injinji's website. My Dad wears large so I tried a pair and it seemed fine, a little more room, but I don't think it will matter as they do shrink a bit in the drier (I'm too lazy to dig them out and air dry) and I have very wide feet anyway. I accidently bought the lightweight for my first pair and quickly realized I needed the midweight, the lightweight had no cushion at all.

Yes, all the resorts are host resorts and so there will be transportation from each resort.

Are you trying to get in as much sleep as possible? I would think getting in line by 3:45 would give you plenty of time.

I would like to get about 7-8 hours the night before, but I do not think that I will hit that mark. It looks like 6.5 hours if a go to sleep @ 8:00PM and I like to give myself about a hour before heading out the room, so waking up around 2:30-2:45 range.
I have to laugh a little at myself for thinking about how much sleep I will try to get the night before a race that is ~ 6 months away. Thanks for your answer.

FYI, I just got an email from Marathon Tours that they have packages available for this event...here is what they sent if anyone is still interested in spots.

The booking form will be posted to our website at 11am EDT tomorrow, July 29 at http://www.marathontours.com/index.cfm/page/Packages/pid/10669.

This event is already sold out through Run Disney and we have a very limited number of packages for the Family Fun Run 5K, Walt Disney World 10K, Half Marathon, Marathon, Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge (marathon and half marathon), and the Dopey Challenge (all four races).

We are offering guaranteed entry (limited availability) when booked with a minimum three night hotel stay at one of the following Walt Disney World Resort properties:

1. All Star Sports Resort- $113/night (includes tax)- standard rooms can accommodate up to four guests (including children) in two double beds

2. Coronado Springs Resort- $203/night (includes tax)- standard rooms can accommodate up to four guests (including children) in two double beds

3. Deluxe Resort Property-TBA- you can request this option and we will update you with pricing as soon as it is confirmed (rooms in this category are very limited). Please also indicate a second choice hotel on your booking form. A possible resort for this option is Disney’s Beach Club.

*Hotel reservations are available from January 5-13, 2016. Other dates may be available upon special request basis only. Only these three resorts are being offered. Please list your first and second hotel choices on the booking form! If there are more than 4 guests (adults and children) you must reserve two hotel rooms!

Jen Ryder
Marathon Tours & Travel
100 Everett Ave.
Suite 2
Chelsea, MA 02150
Phone: 617-242-7845
Fax- 617-242-7686

Some smaller race weekends have only a few designated host resorts, but for bigger ones like marathon weekend all resorts are host resorts. Thats probably why you were confused.

I have run in injiji's. I don't wear them on every run, but at one point I was getting blisters from my toes rubbing each other. Injiji's did prevent that.

I'm staying at POFQ for Marathon Weekend, running the Goofy. Never stayed there before. Does anyone have any tips for this resort, especially race related?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter