Marathon Weekend 2016

I just signed my husband and myself up for the 10k. It felt weird, but I didn't want to miss it. I got confirmation emails for both of us.

I just cant bring myself to do it...I just really don't want to get two weeks from now and have them say it is invalid and then I have no other option to register...ya know?
the things that scare me are 1. you cant normally access that page with out the direct link 2. the fact that there are 2 options for each race 3. the 5k requires a password to continue

I just don't trust it 100% so I will wait

So - this is my dos pesos (as a webmaster) ...

In past races, they've closed the same registration page from pre-registration until open registration about 15 minutes before registration opens. They probably do the same thing every race and just didn't shut the page down to switch from AP/DVC options to the open registration options.

I feel like that they do these things when they close the site down (when you get the message that the site is unavailable).

My neighbor registered for Dopey under the #DopeyChallenge and everything went through kosher for him. I have to imagine that the #Races are for tomorrow and they just turn the normal ones off and change the #Races to normal, conventional naming and it's all the same.

Honestly, I just registered my mom and husband for the 5K through there and everything works, and there are already credit charges.

It will be a hot-A mess if they go through everything to cancel these registrations, etc.

It's just more of a reason that they need to use the money they make off these races to build a registration portal of their own - like RnR does.

so in your humble opinion @Keels are we worrying about nothing and should go ahead and register ? you think It will be harder for them to cancel them than to just honor the few of us that do it?

@Keels convinced me to go ahead and register. I got the confirmation email. The only thing that makes me nervous is it says I'm registered for #Dopey Challenge. I'm going to monitor my email and hope for the best.

I really want to go through with registering tonight, but I am nervous and not sure which race to pick. The one with the # or the one without? I see that a couple of people have had luck. Which race did those of you who registered use and why? Any input would be appreciated.

If I had to guess ... from a database perspective, the items with # before them will be the registration items open tomorrow. They just take the # off the items when the turn off the existing items that are AP/DVC offerings.

@Keels I know you're not the RunDisney database expert, but you obviously know more about these systems than I do. In your opinion, should we be concerned about the # in the race name in the confirmation email? It also is there when I confirm my registration at the link you shared earlier. Do you think that will disappear after noon EST tomorrow? Should we be worried if it doesn't disappear? Ahhhhhhh - I'm really second guessing my decision to register. I don't know how I'll know I'm really, really registered.

I don't know an answer. But I do know that we're not the only people that have this link - the #10K is already full.

So ...

Personally, I will check my neighbor's registration and my husband/mom on the 5k leading up until about 15 minutes after noon tomorrow. If they still show up as registered, I've taken screengrabs and they've charged our cards, so ... they're in the races regardless, as far as I'm concerned.

Do whatever you want at your risk - and be willing to fight and complain if they take it away.

Also - and this is my thinking ... whether they got your money today or tomorrow at Noon, they're still getting your money.

I know they're doing the whole "queue" thing now, but they've even said it doesn't guarantee you a spot.

If it was a drastically discounted spot, or a spot that had extra benefits with it - sure. Me, as a webmaster, would make a call - personally, I would still honor the registration but would decline a discount or extra benefits. But this? There was no discount. You're going to get the money from all of us tomorrow - 24 hours doesn't really make a difference.

I would be shocked if they bothered with canceling out orders made today. Because, let's be honest. Money is money.

Wow, the #10K is full? This could get ugly.

k1b97p.jpg

The spot for "Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend" also says full.

Again, I'm just speculating - but, I'm thinking someone tasked with this event opened it up early so people they knew could register.

And it's going to be someone on the Active side handling this, not the runDisney side ... but, whatever. Honestly - runDisney makes SO much money off these events, there's no reason why they haven't built their own mainframe for registration that they can control. It doesn't take much. A database and a secure payment portal of their choice. That's it. If you build it correctly, you can automate everything - legacy runners will have a special login, repeats/C2C will be automatically recognized, emails will be more personalized based on what you're running.

Ugh. It just drives me nuts that they use such a dumb service for their registration when I have local races that far exceed their registration process for just a 300-person race.

/rantover

now im freaking out.....please please please don't let this mean that the actual 10k is sold out, I cant imagine THAT many people have the link but now I don't know what to think this is to be my wifes first 10k and I don't know how to handle it if we don't even get a chance to register please don't let my good nature have screwed me here

Again - all I'm saying is speculation, and just my thoughts. I have no idea on how rD is doing things.

I just know that THAT link will be the link tomorrow. It was the link for AP/DVC registration. They usually shut it down and say the "event is not available", or at least they have done it for DLH, W&D and Avengers so far and then they open it back up about 10 minutes prior to registration time.

This time, it's not the case. They're either still allowing different groups to register or someone screwed up. But I can't believe they're going to cancel registrations from people who have already paid and have had credit cards processed. THAT is a MAJOR hassle. But, again, this is just my thinking.

It's your decision - not mine. I just provide the links, y'all!

If the 10K is full, there's no way Disney doesn't add additional spots. They aren't going to allow registration to open with no available spots in these races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter