Marathon Training thread for November 1-7

Discussion in 'W.I.S.H' started by karebear1, Nov 1, 2004.

1. karebear1

karebear1 <font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co

Good Monday everyone!

For those joining me in the "Now Sweets until Thanksgiving Challenge".........
    WE START TODAY! Only natural fruit everyone. We can do this for 3 little weeks! LET"S GO!

I'm hoping this will push me into weight loss mode again. Gotta get moving again on that front.

Today I have to walk 6 miles- I was so busy yesterday, I didn't have time to walk, but I'll get it done today. NO record time planned for me though- I just want to get it done. I might even do 7.

10 weeks minus 1 day left..........

I think it's time to get VERY serious!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Auntmeme

Auntmeme DIS Veteran

HAPPY MONDAY:wave2:

Hi Karen is that a subconcious mistake? NO candy till 11/25 - thanks I'm with you! I was going to bite into something and remembered our goal so I ate an atkins endulge pb cup - not the same but it'll do.

First just want to remind everyone to VOTE tomorrow:earseek: please take the time - this is a very important election & we are very lucky to have the right to vote!

OK - I ate so much junk this weekend and it's tom so I've been crazy :crazy: with my food choices. I did walk 2.3 on sat & 5.3 on sun. We have gorgeous weather:sunny: to take advantage of.

did everyone get an email with marathon info? anyone buy a shirt? I didn't see 1/2 marathon did I miss it? Going back to read last weeks thread.

Keep training:yo-yo:

4. geetey

geetey <font color=deeppink>Queen of the Smilies<br><font

I am in, Karen! No sweets here! (Well, there is that HUGE bowl of candy, the 2 trick or treat bags, and more leftovers, but none of it is for m*e!) :crazy2:

Today is my rest day. Yesterday was crosstraining. I did the 3 mile WATP. Hey - that was harder/faster than I remember!

It is time to get VERY serious for me!! My 'fast' pace seems to be everyone else's slow pace! :eek: I need to figure out how to increase my pace without killing myself. Any tips appreciated! ::yes::

RachelQ - I will look through my emails and see if I can find the newsletters you are looking for. I will PM you if I find them.

Did everyone get the newletter this morning? They have created a new web address for the marathon. www.disneyworldmarathon.com

5. geetey

Thanks for the election reminder, MeMe. It is weighing heavily on dh and my mind because we haven't received our voter cards yet! :earseek: We both registered when we moved (more than the required days before an election). DH has received a letter notifying that his card would arrive 7 days before the election. I got noting. :( Today is our last day for the mail to bring something, otherwise we will just pick a polling place and see if we are on their list and where we should go. Let's hope that works. We don't want to be shut out! :mad:

I haven't purchased a shirt because I can't find a half one. I am hopeful there will be some available in WDW. Also, last June, at the Outlets, we saw several styles of Marathon shirts from 2004. I liked the one that said... I Did It! Hopefully a similar design will be available this year as well. ::MickeyMo

6. Lisa loves Pooh

Lisa loves Pooh DIS Veteran

Speeding up pace--try taking 2 of your regular walk/runs midweek of your weekly schedule---and mid-way through each run--increase your pace by 20-30%....this works best on a treadmill b/c you can calculate the pace and load it in and let the treadmill do the pacing work for you.

IF a treadmill is unavailable to you--during your walk/runs--start having start/stops in your routine--from this tree to that tree run as fast as you can (no sprinting) and then return to regular pace when you reach your target (do not actually stop!!)--use mailboxes, lightposts--whatever...increase the spacing as this becomes comfortable. Whatever you do--when you stop the fast running--resume regular pace--don't slack and walk like a turtle--don't want you body to get too comfy at that slow pace.

You should notice a pacing difference in 2 weeks if not one--mostly in your long walk/runs. I shaved about 15 seconds per minute a week until we added the bridge :(

I was getting into the low 11ish minute mile range on short runs and getting close to 12 minute miles on long--and then we started running the bridge--and back to the High 12ish minute mile I am. :( Oh well!!!

Also--if you do the run/walk method--run 9 minutes/walk 1 minute or some other pattern--you should notice a better time than if you tried to run the entire distance as you are allowing your muscles to acclimate to the exercise.

REMEMBER THIS---your goal should be to FINISH the half or full marathon--anything less than a 16 minute per mile pace is awesome! You just don't want that van picking you up :)

Good luck all!!!

7. Lisa loves Pooh

Geetey--2 suggestions for you..ask your neighbor to see where they go (Better than driving around :) )...or check your county link--I am not sure if you are in St Louis County--but here is their link...you should be able to put in your street address and it will tell you where to go. IF this isn't your county--GOOGLE "x" county supervisor of elections and go from there--you should be able to find your county sight and do the same thing. In Fla voter card is not required--though it is lovely to have :)

http://www.co.st-louis.mo.us/scripts/elections/

Good luck!!!

8. geetey

Lisa, YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (can I send you a big bag of Halloween candy as thanks? :p ;) ) We are in St Louis County and your link worked perfectly. Now we know where to go to vote! :hyper:

I am walking the half marathon and *really* appreciate your tips. I do have a treadmill and have been using it for my 2 short walk days, so it will be easier to incorporate your suggestions on it. On my long walk day (Thursday), I head to a local park with great walking trails. It is smooth, so no danger of tripping (I have done that on the sidewalks), and it is relatively flat with some slopes and gradual inclines, which I think is what we will face in WDW.

I think my problem is that my 'fast' pace is 3.0 mph (20 minute mile) and moderate pace is 2.6 mph on the treadmill. I need to get that 'fast' pace to be my moderate pace and only have 68 days to do so! :eek: I started training with ample time and I am following John Bingham's 14 week schedule so I hope to be able to get under that 16 minute time. I did do one 18 minute mile during my long walk last Thursday, so there is some improvement.

Slowly but surely, I *will* get there! ::yes::

9. Cheryl N. WI

Cheryl N. WI DIS Veteran

Hi everyone

Karen I am definitely in on the No Sweets Challenge but I am not going to do it until Thanksgiving because we leave for Orlando on the 19th and then our cruise on the Magic on the 20th and I have to be able to eat sweets on the cruise. LOL So I will join you in this until the 19th, which is better than nothing, and it will definitely be a challenge with all the left over Halloween candy in the house, but so far so good today.

DD an I got home late last night from our long weekend visit to my sister. We had a wonderful time and I am so proud of myself, I exercised 3 of the 4 days we were there. The weather was pretty rainy so I got on their treadmill twice, one day for 60 min the other day for 70 min. The third day I did my crosstraining by doing my Denise Austin weight training tapes. We also did better than we usually do with our eating while we were there so I didn't gain a pound!!! DD even said to me as we were driving home yesterday, Mom I'm proud of us, we didn't even get 1 donut from the bakery (the bakery near my sister's has the BEST donuts and they are big and we usually eat 1 a day when we are there soi that was really good!!!!). We did eat some junk but we kept so busy we usually only ate 2 meals and that probably helped.

Today I wanted to get my walk/jog in outside before the rains came. The weatherman said it wouldn't start raining until after 11am so I thought great I'll get DD to school and be walking by 8:15 and even if the rain starts early I'll be done. The weatherman was wrong yet again, it was pouring by 8 and it is only about 45 out today so I changed my plans. I did my crosstraining weight tapes again and then I did my 2 mile WATP tape. Greety I agree the WATP tape was harder than I remebered too, I mean jeez I can walk 8 miles outside and doing that 2 mile tape I was feeling those other muscles so I guess it was some good crosstraining. Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day so I am hoping this rain goes away by Wed so I can get my long walk/jog in for the week.

Karen Good luck getting in your miles today! Is it really less than 10 weeks now?! Time sure is flying!

Meme DH and I will definitely be going to the polls to vote tomorrow after work. As you said this is a very important election.

Greety I never received the email newsletters that RachelQ mentioned either if you find them could you please pass the info on to me too?
    I did not get the email newsletter today either :( Could you please pass that info on too, I don't want to miss anything important! I don't know why I haven't been getting those. I have a new email address but DH notified Disney of that for me but I'm still not getting any marathon emails from them.

Lisa thanks for the info on increasing pace. Good luck with conquering that bridge!

Have a great day everyone and remember to keep moving!

Cheryl

10. karebear1

In Oregon, they have mail inballot voting only. I have mine filled out and I will drop it off tomorrow. I voted for the right guy..... hope you all did too!! ;)

And even more miraculous is that I have avoided sweets all day AND I did my 6 miles today. I really need to start speed training and cross training more seriously- but I can't really think about that right now. I have a BAD headache!

Sounds to me like everyone is doing really well on their training! Posting that this marathon is in 10 weeks really puts things in perspective doesn't it?!?!?!?! I was thinking, the other day, how I use to think hat 13 miles was insurmountable!

11. Lisa loves Pooh

Try changing that pace by .1 a day--it is barely noticeable in those small increments-- for the fast sections--30% is nearly 4mph--which is a 15 minute mile--start doing those right away--it can feel awkward (it felt incredibly fast for me when I first started working out)--so you may have to wog it a while--until it becomes comfy again. If you have short legs like me it can take a while :)

12. Lisa loves Pooh

How does the mail in ballot work--when do y'all get to know who won your states popular vote?

The great thing about this country--if you got to vote for who you wanted to vote for, then you voted for "the right guy"--his name may be different from my "the right guy"--but that's the beauty of democracy.

13. karebear1

We get our ballots about 3 weeks before the elction takes place. We can mail in the completed ballots and the ballots will be counted as long as they are there by the day the Nation votes. If you don't get your vote in the mail early enough, then there are places you can drop your vote off up until 8pm on Election Day. They are counted just like any other states.

And your right- that is the beauty of living in this wonderful country! Just the fact that we can choose who will lead us is indeed a great idea!

14. Tiger Lily 03

Tiger Lily 03 Moderator W.I.S.H. Moderator

Morning Marathoners!
    I have read, not able to catch up with everyone just now.

I am at a bit of a stall on my walks these last couple of days (as in I haven't done much there), but I continue to Winsor Pilates and hit the gym and pool for at least something.

I am off to work and then to Vote Today!

I hope to check in again soon.

15. Susan--Ontario

Susan--Ontario DIS Veteran

Good Tuesday Afternoon Everyone!!

I'm still in light training mode so that I don't hurt anything before I go on vacation on Friday!!:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

On Hallowe'en I did go out with my son and walked for an hour. I went up and down every driveway with him so that I wasn't just standing around while he was going up the driveways. I actually was doing some kick-backs (from the WATP tapes) while he was getting the candy. Some people in our neighbourhood made a party out of the whole night. Going around with their kids with their "coffee". One house was actually handing out Bailey's to the Mom's and Dad's. The last few days I've been waking up at 3:30. I get thinking about all that I have to do before I go on vacation and then I can't get back to sleep, so I get up and do laundry, packing etc. Today, though I got up. Watched my tape from last night (Everybody loves Raymond and Two and Half Men). After laughing for an hour I pulled out the 2 mile WATP and did that.

I can't walk today because it is tanking down rain and my shoes have holes in them for air flow. Great for walking but not so great for walking in the rain.

I'm going to take my step meter to Disney with me just to keep myself on track. I don't want to risk losing my good pedometer so I'm just taking the one that came in the Kellogg's cereal boxes a while back. My DH will probably bring his laptop so I'll be able to log on and catch up some days. I'm going to check out the Contemporary Hill when I'm staying there week after next. It's a surprise for my DS. Hopefully I won't blow it before we check in there.:crazy:

I've got the repairman coming on the 23rd to fix my treadmill so when I get back it's going to be full time training!!!:earseek:

WAAAY TO GOOO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!! Keep On Truckin"!!

16. geetey

I did my walking today - 40 minutes in the blustery wind. Brrr.... luckily I had a lightweight zippered hoodie on over my shirt. I had on a ball cap as well, but definitely needed the hoodie to keep me warm. It was just right for today's weather. The walk was hard. I tried a new path today and OUCH! The walkway itself was tilted so I was walking on an angle. My left ankle was hurting 20 minutes in, then my right knee started, then my left calf! Sheesh! I guess my leg muscles aren't strong enough to walk at a good pace AND walk on a slant. Last time at that park for quite a while! I AM proud of myself for finishing though! I even went a tad over 40 minutes. It definitely was *not* the place to try Lisa's speed drills though. :eek:

What I had on may even work as my 'outfit' for the marathon. It is lightweight enough not to be hot, but definitely helped cut the wind.

Susan, have a blast at WDW! I can't wait to hear about that Contemporary hill. I hope it turns into being just a gradual slope. ;) :crazy:

PS: Karen - I *need* some candy! Day 2 is harder than Day 1!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. AlreadyexcitedGrammy

AlreadyexcitedGrammy <font color=blue>BL II - Blue Team<br><font color=

I know I haven't really been posting but I am still reading. I just have been super busy - I am "babying" my hamstring. I hope that it will be much better in the next few days, I am taking some time off to see if it will heal and then I must start out slowly and not be so impatient.

I also want to tell Mary-Liz, Pluto's my favorite and Geetey that I FINALLY got your bracelets today and I will get them in the mail just as soon as I can. (My supplier has had too much "life" get in her way and just got them to me) Mary - Liz do you have a new address to send your's and sis's? PM me if you do

Hang in there everyone and just take it one day at a time (I needed to hear that)

Hey where is Sundie (plutomf) anyway and Ibouncetoo - haven't heard from them for a bit.

Keep up the good work all my fellow trainees ::yes::

18. karebear1

OMG! I hope I can get through this election night! Talk about ANXIETY!!!!

Grammy- I was wondering ther same thing about those two WISHER's. WHERE THER HECK ARE YOU?????

I haven't walked today, and hope I'll be able to pull myself away from the TV long enough to walk 2 miles. Oh My!!!! It's gonna be a LONG night!

19. Kimickey

Kimickey <font color=blue>Excellence Doesn't Just Happen It

Today was a bummer! I'm all geared up head to toe ready to go running, I look out the window and it looks like it going to pour rain. So I said I'll wait an hour, an hour later I look out of the window and still looks like the heavens are just going to open any minute. So I say for get it, because on top of the rain it's getting dark. That was inbetween the hours of 3-5pm. It is now 7pm and it's NOW just raining. A day of training wasted :mad:
    Okay now that I'm over that, how is everyone doing today?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm having sugar withdrawals. But I'm holding strong!!! No Sugar, No Sugar, No Sugar!

20. karebear1

Geetey and Kimickey- Me Too on those sugar shakes!!! I almost buckled- bUT I DIDN"T! I STAYED STRONG...... but probably ate my weight in grapes as to avoid eating candy! :teeth:

We can do this! WE MUST RESIST!!!

21. Debbie

Debbie DIScovering DIS magic-missing my colours

Hi Guys! Just wanted to let you know that I'm here, and I've walked both days this week. I didn't do a l-o-n-g walk this week, but I've been doing the short ones, and increasing my pace. :)

I have the "Walking to the Classics" audio CD's. But I don't have a Walkman! lol I'm seeing if I can find one of the kids in the toyboxes.

BUT I borrowed the "Hooked on Classics" CD's from the library. I LOVE them for picking up the pace. I'm going to burn some of the tracks. A slower one for warm up, then the faster paced ones, and finish off with the "slower" paced one again. I've already noticed a difference!

I'm not even going to pretend to stay out of the candy, but I WILL take care to not eat 12 at one sit. :teeth:

Keep going everyone. Remember:

Slow and steady wins the race. . . and the Donald medal!