Marathon Training Thread for 10/3-10/10

Discussion in 'W.I.S.H' started by karebear1, Oct 3, 2004.

1. karebear1

karebear1 <font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co

Good afternoon everyone! I have officially finished my very first EVER 10K this morning in 1:47- that's a 17:15 minute CONSIST mile. Yeah for me. The last time I walked 6.2 miles straight I think it was 2:15- so I did cut some time off my 6 mile straight record. It was very fun! Lots of people running- and some of the marathoners (that started at 7:30- we started at 8) actaully beat us to the finish line! To be in that kind of shape! It's just amazing!!

I did learn one thing- this marathon is NOWHERE NEAR as fun as the WDW Marathon is! Plus- we just kinda started on our own. No big group going at the same time etc. That was a little dissappointing. But all in all- I am so happy with my time. I think that next June I might go to the half marathon in San Diego, Ca. Anyone want to join me for a half in Ca.???? We could go to DL too!!!

I took pics- downloaded them to my computer- but have NO idea on how to post them! Can anyone help me???

I also really want to tell you all how awesome you all are with the support. I have never had this kind of support in all my life- truely. I absolutely cherish it! You are so wonderful, giving and encouraging. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
    I'm crying now- so I KNOW when I meet you all in person it will be another cry-fest. I'm just letting you all know now so you can have the tissue ready for me. :grouphug:

2. Cheryl N. WI

Cheryl N. WI DIS Veteran

YEAH Karen :cheer2: :thewave: :cheer2: You finished your first 10K!!!!!! And in a good time!! How exciting!!! Congratulations!!!

I just got home from my weekend getaway with my girlfriends. We had a great time relaxing, shopping and yes eating too. I knew that I would not eat the best this weekend and I didn't eat as bad as I have in the past so hopefully I didn't gain too much and now I am ready to jump back on the wagon again. It was too cold to bike like we had thought we might so I really didn't get any exercise in unless you call walking between shops and carrying packages exercise lol. We had more than 1 man tell us we had way too many packages in my friends mini van LOL.

I stsill have to read the end of last weeks thread. I can't believe we are at less than 100 days now. Time sure is flying!

Keep moving everyone! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cheryl :sunny:

3. NancyK

NancyK DIS Veteran

Congratulations Karen!:jumping1: You must be so proud of yourself! The progress everyone on this board has made is truly amazing!
    Cheryl - I think walking between shops and carrying packages definitely counts as exercise!;)
    I didn't eat all that sensibly these past few days and I didn't do as much exercise as other weeks, either. I did an 8.5 mile walk today. Ended up averaging a 16.5 minute mile. Not my best effort, but I'll take it.
    Have an awesome week everyone!
    NancyK

4. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. LittleMissMickey

LittleMissMickey DIS Veteran

CONGRATULATIONS, KAREN! I knew you could do it! And what a rewarding feeling, to have shaved some time off!!!! Hurrah for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will need a tissue, too. You carry one for me, I'll carry one for you, we'll swap! I started tearing up telling my mom about the recent updates in our group! We truly are amazing!

Today I realized that I CAN DO THIS! I went ten miles today in 2:16. My goal was 2:30. I feel like I ran all over this stinkin city, but I feel really good now. I also feel like I should shower. But that's a random though. Anyway, according to Bingham and Hadfields Marathoning for Mortals, I can do the half so long as I have done at least one 10 miler. I feel so much better now!! Now I need to call my brother, Chad, and light a torch under his buns -- He is using the fact that he lives in Florida as an excuse for the fact that he has only gone out to train TWICE since we signed up in April. So now... fueling up the blowtorch.:scared1: <--Chad, when Ashley is chasing after him with a blowtorch.

Well, we're off to a great start! Cheryl, where did your weekend take you? It sounds like it was WORTH being off plan with all that shopping you did! I love shopping!

Nancy - WOO HOO!!! You did great! You will definitely be there by January 9th, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!

Keep it up!!!

Ashley:wave2:

P.S. I am totally walking like a delicate old lady right now. I am chafed, blistered, and I can't quite stand up straight. At 22, I am quite a sight to behold!:crazy: Oh well, still happy! Can't nobody tie me down... oh oh, I've got to keep on movin! (off to sing in the shower)

6. NancyK

NancyK DIS Veteran

Way to go Ashley! 10 miles is such a milestone - and you beat your time goal as well! Congrats!

7. pixiechick

pixiechick <font color=teal>will work for disney dollars<br><

Woo-Hoo Karen!!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

knew you could do it!! Isn't racing fun? Now imagine that Donald medal around your neck! :teeth:

8. Cheryl N. WI

Cheryl N. WI DIS Veteran

Nancy Great job doing 8.5 miles! You stilll have time to work on your time just keep on getting out there.

Ashley 10 miles in 2:16 is AWESOME! You can definitely do this, but then again I've known that along! I need to light a torch under my friends buns too. She still has not been doing any serious walking or exercising to get ready for this endeavor. We went to Door County, WI and walked through the streets of Fish Creek and Sister Bay and Egg Harbor and hit the quaint little shops. I got a lot of Christmas shopping done (and bought some stuff for myself also of course ;))

Cheryl :sunny:

9. LittleMissMickey

Penguin Thought of the Day
    "We penguins run with more weight than eagles or sparrows. We run carrying the burdens of failures past, present, and future. We drag With us our failures as husbands and wives, fathers and mothers, sons and daughters. We carry on our shoulders the accumulated weight of diets that didn't work, exercise programs that didn't stick, and resolutions that were never kept. But we are running."

I found this and liked it, thought I would share! It's a quote from John "The Penguin" Bingham. I find it to be very true! So often I find myself wanting to give up and I think about all the other times I've given up, and that either helps me go on or... well.... don't we all know how that moment goes?!?!

Keep it up, ladies!

10. karebear1

Ashley- I was reading about your poor little blistered feet- and the MOM came out in me. I have THE SOLUTION for those blisters! You'll never even know they are there!! Go to

http://www.medco-athletics.com/List/Product.asp?Leaf_Id=47407#

These "Second Skin" blister pads are exactly what you need. They are heaven on earth. I cannot rave more about these things. Worth every penny you'll spend. If you want you can get 3x6 inch pads and cut them into the size pads you need for your blisters too- they'll cost about the same as the precut ones though. I used these 12 years ago when I had started a walking regiment in Utah- and have never forgotten them even though I haven't been able to find them anywhere. When I went to the Health Fair at the marathon yesterday, I found them again! I bought the last 2 boxes the guy had. BUT I'm gonna buy some of these precut ones for my fanny pack for the half marathon because they are soooooo good!

I'm telling you girl-and EVERYONE ELSE- you absolutely have to have these things for your fanny pack for the half!! PROMISE!

11. Susan--Ontario

Susan--Ontario DIS Veteran

Congratulations Karen!!!!!

Ashley, I'm sure by today you're not so sore. Yesterday morning I didn't think I'd walk straight again and by noon I was fine. Today I'm still a bit tired because of all the guests I had yesterday and then my DD (she'll be 3 on the 23rd) decided she wanted to sleep with us, but she did want to "visit" between 12 and 1. I love to visit with her but preferably in the daytime.

I'm hoping to get my walk in at lunch time today but the sky is really, really dark now. They're calling for rain, but those clouds sure look like snow clouds to me.

Have a great week everyone!!:wave2:

12. plutosmyfav

plutosmyfav <font color=deeppink>Has high hopes, high apple pi

Congratulations Karen! What a great inspiration::yes::

Ashley, I did 10 miles this weekend, too. I did my 10 in 2 hours 20 minutes but that included a stop (and wait) at CVS for a sports drink. Its the first time I tried a sports drink (at the 6 mile mark) and I definitely felt an improvement from it. FOr blisters I tape my feet with medical cloth tape! It works wonders. I might try the stuff Karen posted, too.

Keep on everyone!!!!

13. ohMom

ohMom Kids Get Arthritis Too! Moderator

YOU ALL SO TOTALLY :rockband:

Karen, Ashley, Susan -- cyber high five on your accomplishments this past weekend!! woo hooo!!!!!!!!

i'm hanging my head -- i totally blew off my healthyeating/training program for FOUR DAYS! this is a record for me! i dont know what came over me -- stress, PMS, yadda yadda. none if it is a valid reason to jump off the wagon, but i did it and feel crappy now. my garage sale was a huge success, i haven't even had time to count the money or add the columns yet; but I believe i hit the $500 mark! oh my! i am so thrilled with that! somehow between donuts and dragging stuff out I pulled a small something in my lower back. oh joy. i'm not going to let it stop me now though, but i'll do lighter impact stuff this week.

so, since we are 14 WEEKS from the 1/2 marathon; I started the marathon for mortals training program officially yesterday. I did 30 mins walking (with a small amount of jogging) and today I cross trained by doing the denise austion SFFFZ workout. tomorrow will be a day off. I told DH last night that I want to get out and walk 1/2 hour with him in the evening three times a week.

now ashley -- are you going to restart the training program at this point? would you suggest I follow his miles for the 'long' days or do you think it's ok to not dwindle all the way back to 2 miles this week and keep it at like 4-5 miles?? 2 miles seems like a major backslide for an endurance day; but in the same note maybe the point is to cycle around and not do the same thing all the time??

ok - i have soooooo very much to do this week. i don't know that i'll be on much again. mom and I are going away with friends this weekend; we rented a cabin near a state park (it'll be beautiful) and we are making christmas gifts together this weekend. anyhow -- i'm not ready for it, need to shop for supplies and my meal and my garage sale stuff is still on table in the garage!

sorry to ramble -- i'm just a bit down today -- you all raise me up -- you know that:love2: :love2:

14. maryliz

maryliz <font color=990099>The Whoosh Fairy RULEs, the Blo

Good Monday morning, everyone! Karen .... WOW ! I'm so proud of you! You had an awesome time for your 10K. Can't wait to see some pics.

I tried to post on Saturday night but couldn't load up the boards :rolleyes: When we move in a couple of weeks, I am getting high-speed internet access -- yes, it's about time I got into the 21st century :teeth:

I had made a plan for last week to do Curves 3x and at least a 6 mile walk. After a horrible cold, rainy Sat morning, the sun came out so I decided to do a 3 hour walk. The wind was really hard, and of course, since I had only originally planned on doing 6 miles, I did not have a Carb-meal Fri night, nor did I really have some good carbs for my snack on my walk. 2 big mistakes -- I've learned my lesson. The first 2 hours, although windy, were awesome. I was feeling great. About 15 minutes into the 3rd hour, I developed a cramp in my calf. I didn't want to stop, but I also didn't want to injure myself 'cause I have the Niagara Falls 1/2 marathon in 3 weeks. So I took it pretty easy the last 45 min. I still managed to do 11.5 miles in 3 hours :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

For those of you that did 10 miles this weekend, I just want to say that your times are absolutely incredible! Keep up the great work. And everyone else, you continue to inspire me. You are the ones that are teaching me that I can make the time for myself to do this training ... it's nice to see that everyone has such hectic lives and still manage to do this for themselves.

I'm a little scared now that we're into single digits! But very excited that I'm gonna get to hug the best group of friends a girl could ask for.

Have a great week everyone!

Mary-Liz

15. tw1nsmom

tw1nsmom DIS Veteran

Karen, Susan, Ashley (and everyone else), you are doing great! You should really be proud of your acomplishments.

Well, this weekend I finally did it. I broke the 16 minute mark! I averaged 15.9 minute miles on a five mile walk on Sunday. I also made good on my committment to eat on plan again. I feel so much better now :D .

The bathroom renovation project is still under way. I have to say, it's so much "fun" to live in a construction zone :rolleyes: . I'm also starting another sewing project. We really need new drapes for our living/dining rooms (they flow together). We also really need thermal drapes. It was going to cost over $500 to buy them, and at least 250 for fabric. Well, Frugal Frieda here found a sale at walmart on neutral colored blankets and cream/light taupe colored sheets. I'm going to sew them together and add a band of brown suede-like material at the top. At the bottom of the band I'm going to add amber/brown beading. I'll make tab tops and attach them to a black decorative rod. I have 9 windows and I've managed to keep the cost under $22 a window. Now I just have to drag out the sewing machine and get to work. While it's out I have to make DD's Halloween costume. I was able to get a Goliath costume for Ds (only $8) and of course now DD wants to be JO JO. Also, of course, the JO Jo costume is sold out nation-wide :rolleyes: . So I'll have to figure out a way to make it myself. By the time I'm finished with all that (and my Christmas projects) I'll never want to sew again.

Stay tuned for the next installment of my saga (my real hobby is whining).

Dawn

16. trola2

trola2 <font color=blue>Mouse Addict<br><font color=purpl

I just have to say that every one of you is amazing and inspiring! I am very humbled to be in your midst! ::yes::

Keep up all the awesome training!

~~Beth:wave:
    :flower1: :flower1: :flower1:

17. LittleMissMickey

Just a quick post...

Molli - I would start the training at the point at which you are comfortable. If the five or six mile mark is where it is comfortable for you, that's where I would start. I can share the modifications with you that I have made. I was pretty scientific about it and followed the same exact thing that Bingham and Hadfield were using. Just let me know and I will photo copy and mail them to you! (I got quite artistic creating calendars for myself... It took me FIVE HOURS! DBF should not work overnight shifts when it is possible that I would have to stay home alone... luckily Mom and Dad don't go anywhere now that I'm home) So yeah, let me know what you think.

I need advice about blisters. My blister is very red and warm. I hear this means it's infected? HELP!? I don't have time to go to the doctor... :rolleyes:

Keep it up, you awesome group of women you!
    I think we've almost outdone ourselves with this group... everytime I think about you all I think "Hey, we're pretty amazing!"

18. Debbie

Debbie DIScovering DIS magic-missing my colours

WOW! Look at you all go! Karen, you made a good time on that first 10k. Nancy, a 16.5 is nothing to sneeze at. Ashley and Sundie-GREAT running. Ashley, I'm sorry to hear that your blisters are still smarting. I had just bandaged mine. They cleared up after a day or two, but reoccured the next long walk. They hurt! Take care of them. Mary Liz, that wind was yucky on Saturday. Good for you for doing that l-o-n-g walk. Molli and Cheryl-sometimes we just need the break. It is good for the soul. Now, back to our regularly scheduled training....it is good for the sole. ;) Dawn, your renovations sound terrific. Beth, great to hear from you. Let us know how you are doing.

I've discovered that I should walk on Sunday because I HATE working out on Monday. It needs to be a rest day. I did walk fast during 20 minute lunch recess duty, and strolled quickly through a new grocery store, but I HATE working out on Monday. :tongue:

Now, I'd better get off and 'running' (I walk) for Tuesday.

:sunny:Have a great day, everyone! :sunny:

19. karebear1

For anyone inetersted in doing the Wishes Fireworks cruise for a Grand Gathering Event.

I called the person over the WISHWalker weekend. He said that he could arrange this for us, but there is a slight problem. It has to be paid for in advance in ONE PAYMENT. I personally, cannot do this. I know people would reimburse, but I can't put that much money on my personal credit card. So- unless someone else can volunteer to do that or can figure out a different way to to this- We're gonna have to say no to the GG event. Also- the cost has gone up $3.00- it will be 32.99/pp as of Jan. 1, 2005

The only other thing that I can think of is for all of us to try to get a pontoon for a specific night for the WIshes fireworks or for Illuminations. That actually would only be about $12.00/pp (the boat holds 12 people and costs $120.00 plus tip) The problem would be trying to get one of the few pontoons available. Anyone up for that??? If we do this- we gotta decide FAST! We have to call in at the 90 day window- and that's coming in the next few days!

Yesterday was my rest day- today I walk again! I bought myself a new pair of tennies and I'm ready!

20. tw1nsmom

tw1nsmom DIS Veteran

Karen: The GG still sounds like a lot of fun, but it may be too expensive for us. I was already planning on trying for an Illuminations cruise for Friday the 7th. If I get it I would love to share it (there will be 4 of us, so 8 spaces left). If someone else gets one and I don't it would be great if we can join them. And of course, if more than one of us reserves a boat, then more of us can come. I think it's fairly low risk. If we end up with too many boats and not enough people, we can cancel a boat (or try to sell spots to people walking around the boardwalk).

21. karebear1

Maybe we should try snagging both Illuminations cruises for Friday and both Wishes cruises for Monday? Anyone up for that?? Or maybe one of each?

Who would want to do an Illuminations Cruise for Friday evening

And

Who would want to do a Wishes Cruise for Monday night?

I'll do either.