Manta vs Air

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by charlottebling1991, Nov 26, 2013.

1. charlottebling1991

charlottebling1991 Earning My Ears

Me and my boyfriend fly out Thursday. We are going to Seaworld for one of the days during our stay, and I would really like to push myself to get on Manta. I'm not the biggest roller coaster fan, however I can manage the Air ride at Alton Towers. Manta looks very similar in that it is a flying coaster, just a bigger version. Has anyone here been on both? I know on Air when you go upside down, it doesn't really feel like it because of the 'flying' position.. Kind of feels more like you are on your back if that makes sense? If you've ridden both how do they compare?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. sandshal

sandshal DIS Veteran

Mantas the only ride that scares me rigid, I find it far worse than air as the first lift on air takes you via a hill, manta has the full drop and concrete beneath so you feel the full effect of the height. It's not coasters with me but the height so that's why I find it soooo scary. You may love it

4. wayneg

wayneg Moderator Moderator

Can't compare with a UK ride, never been on any ride here but Manta is one of my fave rides in Florida, that and Sheikra at Busch Gardens.:goodvibes

5. KWarner

KWarner Earning My Ears

I have been on both and they are both fantastic! I found Air a little smoother than manta but I don't recall Manta being particularly bad. Kraken, however, scares me ridged - especially the front row ;)

6. sandshal

sandshal DIS Veteran

I love Kraken so there you go, different coasters suit different people I hate going slow and being able to register the height so Manta's my worst nightmare lol

7. charlottebling1991

Thanks guys! I went last year with the family and was determined to go on it but chickened out last minute.. It's my boyfriends first time to Orlando and he loves roller coasters and really wants to get me on it. Gunna have to try and man up I think! :)

8. mackay_j

mackay_j DIS Veteran

just keep an eye on the temps as if it drops manta goes off - it was off for the whole day the last time we went a few years back. Best to go on days when temp stays above 10oC

9. flortlebap

flortlebap Disneyiac!

I love coasters.

Air is a very gentle ride IMO with no significant Gs - Manta on the other hand is much more of an intense ride which many people I know find too much. There is one drop loop that nearly made my head explode, it's probably the most extreme G force I have experienced!

Both are great rides though.

10. flortlebap

flortlebap Disneyiac!

Oh and I agree re Kraken - it gave me an unimaginable headache!

11. wayneg

wayneg Moderator Moderator

I used to love Kraken when it was new but last few times I have had a bad headache after riding so stopped going on.

12. pickers1982

pickers1982 DIS Veteran

Manta is much more extreme than air. A,mazing!

13. Rach78

Rach78 Mouseketeer

Been on both Manta and Air. I hate heights and went on Air a few years back and hated it, due to the fact that you are face down with nothing underneath so to speak. However I braved it on Manta last year, just kept my eyes closed on the way up, and as other have said it is MUCH more intense than Air. The first big loop is crazy!! However it is also one of the best rides I have ever been on and it can't have been that bad as I went on it a few more times after that! Good Luck, you will be fine x

14. charlottebling1991

Thanks everyone! I'm sure I'll be fine, ha! Fly out tomorrow, so excited! :D

15. winniepie81

winniepie81 Mouseketeer

I love both but last time I rode manta we were the back row and it did not agree with me. It felt a much more intense ride. I came off feeling so sick and the rest of the day was a write off. Never had that problem before on any roller coaster. It was our first full day of the trip so maybe tiredness and the heat caught up with me. Even had to cancel dinner plans at bahama breeze which DB was not pleased about! Luckily after a good nights sleep I was fine, I suspect it was jet lag and heat rather than the ride!

16. bex7583

bex7583 DIS Veteran

i didnt look at the drop i kept me head kinda bent up on the hill and my eyes half squeeze shut . i do love roller coasters even though im usually terrified

i didnt like manta it did some inverted full loops and i think you are on your back it was a real stomach turner at one point i was really sweating and almost certain my breakfast would be taking its own holiday !! :sick:

kraken was great we had que jumps and literally went straight on all rides we rode this a few times in row 2 and row 7

17. sandshal

sandshal DIS Veteran

Ha same as me .... Force myself on but it's probably my least fav coaster of them all .... I just don't feel safe on that one

18. steve_rob

steve_rob Mine? Mine? Mine? Mine?

To the OP, if you want a less intense ride (it'll still be kinda intense, just not as bad), make sure you get in row 2 or 3 as the front rows aren't as rough as the back ones. I would say Row 1 is the best, but you'll have to queue longer for that!

For those daredevils amongst us, if you haven't done Manta in rows 7 or 8 yet, try it! You'll be surprised how much of a difference it makes to the ride experience...