Man sues for Mickey Mouse copyright

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by raidermatt, Feb 14, 2007.

1. raidermatt

raidermatt Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression

I actually heard about this on the Dis podcast. Pete's theory, which makes sense to me, is the guy is just hoping Disney will authenticate the drawing. That would make it extremely valuable, of course.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=2333802&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. 2Xited4Disney

2Xited4Disney DIS Veteran

I plan on Suing Disney for 750 Million Dollars because I thought they should have bought Pixar 5 years ago rather than last year. I thought of it first so I deserve the money. But essentially I hope the suit proves that I am smarter because I thought of it first

4. EUROPACL

EUROPACL DIS Veteran

Heck it would have been even cheaper if they never fired all of those people in the first place so that years later they could buy them all back for a ton of money.

5. manning

manning <font color=blue>Just for that I have requested it

I'm suing Disney because.......well just because.:rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

6. raidermatt

The analogy put forth on the podcast was sueing the CocaCola company because you found a really old bottle of coke.

I think I get what the guy is trying to accomplish, and for that I don't really blame him, its just that its a gross misuse of the legal system.

7. ChrisFL

ChrisFL Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Isn't that the American way these days? :rolleyes:

What this guy is doing is ludicrous, so he got a drawing for $3, only 60 years after it was created and now he's claiming rights to a lot more?

He's probably just getting the publicity so he can then sell it for $50K on Ebay

8. Vemnox

Vemnox The Mayor

This guy is going to waste thousands on court costs for about a 5 minute open-and-close case.

9. raidermatt

Like I said, I agree with the viewpoint that he's just trying to get Disney to authenticate the drawing. He's apparently been trying to get them to look at it for years, but they won't do it.

Certainly if you or I had it, we'd want to know if it was really Walt's doing, regardless of whether we wanted to sell it or keep it.

But I would think there would be a way to get a 3rd party to authenticate it, rather than filing a frivilous case. I know we have some lawyers around here who know more about this than I do, but even if the drawing is legit, I can't see how that would give him claim to any copyrights or cash compensation.

10. FamilyOf8

FamilyOf8 Mouseketeer

Did they even have phones like that in the 20s????

Kell

11. MyGoofy26

MyGoofy26 DIS Veteran

Is it just me or does that pic not really look like what the "original" Mickey looked like? An early Mickey, yes. But not Walt's first sketches.

12. rantnnravin

rantnnravin No room in the suitcase? U can land a plane in it!

that was my first impression too

13. ChrisFL

ChrisFL Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Good question!

14. DancingBear

DancingBear DIS Veteran

15. SnoWhiteRabbit

SnoWhiteRabbit DIS Veteran

I goggled phone styles with dates. Mostly the 20's looked like the candle stick models. the 30's did start to look like that type.

16. 2angelsinheaven

2angelsinheaven Loves making dreams come true!

[​IMG]
    Steam Boat Willie 1928

[​IMG]
    This drawing in question

17. TheDogbots

TheDogbots Mouseketeer

I would agree with whoever stated it was a gross abuse of the legal system... i understand why he is doing it, he knows he won't win but if it authenticates the drawing he can pay that hefty lawyer fee when he puts it up for auction and fetches a couple hundred thousand for it.

then again... there would not be much left for him then would there?

18. CT_Dad

CT_Dad <font color=red><b>Can I get a Booya?</b></font><b

This guy is abusing the legal system and could be fined for it. Owning a drawing--even if it's the first drawing of something--doesn't mean that he owns the copyright. Copyright is a separate legal right that isn't sold with the drawing itself. This guy's lawyer should know that...but he probably does and they just want the publicity. He's probably just looking to increase the value of the drawing so he can sell it.