Mama Melrose or Hollywood/Vine - which is better?

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by huckabear, Oct 3, 2011.

1. huckabear

huckabear Disney Dreaming

We'll be booking the Fantasmic package (for dinner) and wanted to know which was better:

Mama Melrose or Hollywood/Vine

Will have 3 kids aged 8 and under and will be on the DDP.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PoohsFan1

PoohsFan1 DIS Veteran

We really enjoy Mama Melrose....Hollywood and Vine, not so much. We have eaten at Mama Melrose twice and both times it hasn't disappointed us. As for Hollywood and Vine the food was not good, the service was really slow, and there were dirty tables around us and food all over the floor. We were not impressed by it at all. If your family likes Italian style food, then I would definitely go with Mama over H&V.

4. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

While we don't really care for any of the restaurants at DHS, I'd go for Mama Melrose. Its not bad and certainly better than the alternative, unless you considered Brown Derby.

5. Hopefully

Hopefully DIS Veteran

Hollywood and Vine is one of only 2 restaurants in all of WDW that we will NEVER return to. The hot food was not hot, the cold food was not cold, the food did not taste good, we were surrounded by dirty, unbussed tables and our waitress was RUDE - the only time that has ever happened to us. The Ladies Room was filfthy. Never Again

6. Bete

Bete DIS Veteran

If you want to see characters (breakfast and lunch only) then it has to be Hollywood and Vine. If you want buffet eating it has to be Hollywood and Vine.

If you like Italian food it has to be Mama Melrose. The atmosphere is probably better at Mama Melrose.

I don't feel as crowded at Mama Melrose. I feel Hollywood and Vine really is a tight squeeze for seating. Mama Melrose is a more relaxed and a calm restaurant. Hollywood and Vine can be wild at times. Your kids will probably like Hollywood and Vine more and the adults will like Mama Melrose more.

We are doing both on our December trip. We will be doing dinner at Hollywood and Vine; so, there won't be characters.

7. avw1295

avw1295 Mouseketeer

Mama Melrose.
    Better food and atmosphere.

I thought the food at Hollywood and Vine was terrible. I honestly think it is the worst buffet at WDW.

That said, if it wasn't for the Fantasmic package, I probably would not eat at any of the TS restaurants at DHS.

8. koolaidmoms

koolaidmoms DIS Veteran

We have been to both and for the adults as PPs have said MM is far better than H&V in food and atmosphere for adults.

If you are going for the characters then you have to do H&V. I would rather do a character meal elsewhere and bypass this one but if these are the characters your kids REALLY want....

It has been over a year since we have been there but there was something that we could each find to eat at H&V for dinner that we liked.

Here are my thoughts on Mama Melrose and our meal with a few pictures.

Here are my thoughts on H&V with a few pictures of dinner food.

Hope this helps. :)