Mall Stores That No Longer Exist

Charade said:
Orange Julius is still around in the Philly area.

We've still got at least a few of 'em in St. Louis, too.

MomofKatie said:
I also loved Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor- it was kind of turn-of-the-century style.There were straw boater wearing waiters, and they had a monster sundae (kinda like the Kitchen Sink at B&C).

Not sure if it's the same chain, but as I was looking through some old family photos yesterday, I found one of me @ about 8 mos., wearing a Farrell's paper hat and eating ice cream. That would've been...31 years ago. :blush:

Oh, and Ruby Tuesday is still in at least one mall around here.

OK! said:
Not sure if it's the same chain, but as I was looking through some old family photos yesterday, I found one of me @ about 8 mos., wearing a Farrell's paper hat and eating ice cream. That would've been...31 years ago. :blush:
Well, I remember my older cousin working at Farrell's when I was 8- I thought he had the BEST JOB EVER (And that was 32 years ago)!!

Wow, I remember so many of these, and used to shop in a lot of them/ Farrell's Ice Cream, the huge sundae wasn't as big as the kitchen sink, but if you ate it all you would get all the waitstaff out telling you, you made a pig of yourself at Farr ells, and you got a certificate. You could also buy the stuff that they had on the wall, I got a great coat raqck from the one in Springfield Mall.

Hot Shoppes Restaurants, we would go there for pancakes and use all the flavoured syrups. Lots of chain places are gone now, too.

So many fun names to remember.

How 'bout?
Sons of Britches
Maurices
Foxmoor
County Seat

I am amazed at the endurance of Claire's. My dd contributes to that company's business health regularly, as did I about 30 years ago! :sunny:

hentob said:
This End Up (furniture store) :thumbsup2

Our house is FULL of This End Up furniture. My wife once joked that they could come over and shoot all the photos for a catalog.

The good news is that This End Up is back in business, although they do not have any retail locations. We were able to replace the cushions on our 20 year old couch and love seat with official This End Up versions.

(oops - just saw that dolphinrescuegirl posted that This End Up is still in business on page 2 of this thread)

http://www.thisendup.com/

And it looks like they do have one retail location (with a second one on the way).

taeja71 said:
The Federated (sp?) electronics early Best buy type store

I spent a lot of my paycheck at The Federated, especially on laserdisks (when I lived in SoCal). I recall that the store was in the same mall as a Target (in the days when Target stores were actually kinda rare).

DisneyDotty said:
How 'bout?
Sons of Britches
Maurices
Foxmoor
County Seat

I am amazed at the endurance of Claire's. My dd contributes to that company's business health regularly, as did I about 30 years ago! :sunny:

I used to love County Seat when I was in high school! They had the best selection of jeans.... and good sales!

I may be going back a few years but we had:

Ohrbachs
National shoes
A & S

Add me to list of missing Farrell's!!! I am recalling the clown sundae as well as the candy shop area. They had the biggest jawbreakers!!

I also miss Gift Horse, but don't know if that was a chain or just a local place in the mall.

Kroch & Brentano's. It was a big, beautiful bookstore. All wood and brass. I thought I was soooo grown up when I would buy something from there.

Mmmm, birthday parties at Farrell's! :cloud9: We'd always get the "Zoo". So much ice cream it had to be carried in a stretcher between two waiters. They'd sound a siren, ring some bells and run all over the shop with it. Then, each kid got a little plastic animal with his ice cream.

I think the thing where you got the ribbon that said "I made a pig of myself at Farrell's" was called the trough. My aunt got that once because my brother and I wanted to try it so bad, and my mom and dad wouldn't. :lmao:

jekajekalynn said:
Candy Craze.... I MISS that store.... TONS of bulk candy.

Apparently Michigan doesn't believe in candy stores in malls... :rolleyes:

We have a candy craze in the mall in FT. Smith AR.

I forgot about Farrell's. I had several birthday's there. I loved the clown sundaes!

Blondie said:
Olga's Kitchen, wasn't that at King of Prussia?

There probably was, we just went to the one at Oxford Valley Mall. Also, loved York Steak House and Harvest House was what the restaurants outside of Woolworth at both of our malls was called.

We still have a lot of these stores here:

Cinnabon (just passed it at the Mall of America Today)
Maurices (We have a few of these around town)
Contempo Casual (changed name to Wet Seal)

I just noticed that Casual Corner went out at one of the lifestyle malls here.

The big one my family misses is Fanny Farmer and Fanny May Candies retail stores.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter