Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FIVE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We leave April 16th! I am so excited! My son is in a wheelchair, does his wheelchair bag count as a carry on?
What GTKW things at night did you guys love?
Has anyone done the parent date night there? Our wish grantors told us about that?
Thanks,
Victoria

Any bag (or item) that is strictly medical supplies and/or equipment does not count against any checked or carry-on baggage limitations within the US.

We leave April 16th! I am so excited! My son is in a wheelchair, does his wheelchair bag count as a carry on?
Has anyone done the parent date night there? Our wish grantors told us about that?
Thanks,
Victoria

We did Sunday/Candyland but it was dark (dec) and we got there a little late. And we were tired so I cant give a report on that. Tuesday/Mayor Claytons bday party was fun, the kids enjoyed it, cake, playing with other kids. Wednesday/Kids Night Out/Parents Night Off, we all loved. One parent has to stay on property during the whole thing so my husband went and got takeout from a restaurant we dont have at home and we ate in the villa. The kids very much enjoyed the structured play. They each had a college volunteer and played lots of games. They fed them too. They also accommodate any special needs.
Thursday/Christmas was a blast. We also were there for Saturday/Pool Party but we had just arrived and had been traveling all day so we had an early night. And Monday/Halloween was another early night after an open to close day at Sea World.
It was cool at night when we were there so the pool stuff we did not do. And the Idol night, we peeked in but had an appt for Mayor Clayton tuck in.

:welcome: So glad Bekah's getting her wish. Off to read your PTR. :) Do you know how to link it in your signature?

If our cruise dates are approved, our extended stay at wdw will be the same time you're there.

I have no clue how to link anything...or even how to build a sig line....

DH is the message board guy...I facebook and use email lists LOL

Karin

Just so that everyone knows: Kids night Out/Parents night off on Wednesday nights is no longer being offered at GKTW. That program ended last week. :(

Hello everyone!
I am new to the boards, just registered today! I have been reading some of the wish trip reports for a few weeks now since we recieved a letter from our local Make A Wish chapter about our daughter Kara! Our daughter Kara who is 4 was diagnosed with a grade 2 diffuse astrocytoma brain tumor after undergoing brain surgery on October 26, 2012. Kara was always a healthy, bright child, always did everything early so this came hitting us out of nowhere like a semi truck! The only signs we had were seizures about 2 weeks before, blank faces with drooling, that I thought was acid reflux. A trip to the ER on a sunday morning, then we were taken by a team to John's Hopkins Hospital. Kara is doing great after having 90% of the tumor removed, she is back at preschool with her friends and no more siezures! We went back this past week for another MRI and they think the tumor might be growing so we will go back next week to start her on a chemo plan. :( Im new to all of the medical stuff too. Our social worker (Lori) at Hopkins is the wonderful person who refered Kara for her wish!

We are so excited for Kara she deserves this for all she has been through! When the letter came in the mail, we started asking Kara what wish she would want? There was no thinkiIng about it - she wants to see Ariel and the princess castle! About a week after the letter, I got a call from one of her "wish grantors" (Kelly), after talking a few times we have a date for her and (Sherry) the other "wish grantor" to come over to see Kara. That date is set for Feb 10, 2013! Kara is so excited to meet her wish friends! After Kara's wish is aproved i will start a pre-trip report!:banana:

I am looking forward to reading more trips and making new friends!

Trying to figure this all out.....

My daughter (13) got approved for a wish trip to Disneyworld. We have the dates (april 19-25 bummer is 2 of those days are almost all in the air). We had to buy our own airfare for our adult daughter(20)...but there was no way a wish trip was happening without her too! Not sure about her theme park admissions but, we will deal with that as it comes.

We are still awaiting other details...such as actual stay location.....But my oldest is super concerned as she closes in on her Bachelor degree that I find out if GTKTW has internet access....

So THAT is my first question....

Yay for dates! We'll just miss each other, we get in on April 27.

Thanks,
Victoria

April will be here before we know it!

Just so that everyone knows: Kids night Out/Parents night off on Wednesday nights is no longer being offered at GKTW. That program ended last week. :(

Thanks for letting us know. I imagine that program was a LOT of work. Is there any word of something replacing it?

Hello everyone!
I am new to the boards, just registered today! I have been reading some of the wish trip reports for a few weeks now since we recieved a letter from our local Make A Wish chapter about our daughter Kara! Our daughter Kara who is 4 was diagnosed with a grade 2 diffuse astrocytoma brain tumor after undergoing brain surgery on October 26, 2012. Kara was always a healthy, bright child, always did everything early so this came hitting us out of nowhere like a semi truck! The only signs we had were seizures about 2 weeks before, blank faces with drooling, that I thought was acid reflux. A trip to the ER on a sunday morning, then we were taken by a team to John's Hopkins Hospital. Kara is doing great after having 90% of the tumor removed, she is back at preschool with her friends and no more siezures! We went back this past week for another MRI and they think the tumor might be growing so we will go back next week to start her on a chemo plan. :( Im new to all of the medical stuff too. Our social worker (Lori) at Hopkins is the wonderful person who refered Kara for her wish!

We are so excited for Kara she deserves this for all she has been through! When the letter came in the mail, we started asking Kara what wish she would want? There was no thinkiIng about it - she wants to see Ariel and the princess castle! About a week after the letter, I got a call from one of her "wish grantors" (Kelly), after talking a few times we have a date for her and (Sherry) the other "wish grantor" to come over to see Kara. That date is set for Feb 10, 2013! Kara is so excited to meet her wish friends! After Kara's wish is aproved i will start a pre-trip report!:banana:

I'm sorry Kara and your family have had to go through so much. :hug: Yay for a wish, though! These kids really do deserve it with what they go through. Looking forward to hear how meeting her wish people go!

I have no clue how to link anything...or even how to build a sig line....

DH is the message board guy...I facebook and use email lists LOL

Karin

Here's info about making the link :) http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39740655&postcount=470

At the top left of this thread is a post reply button. Right above that is the link to your User CP. Once there, there's a bar down the left side. 3rd section is Settings & Options, and has the Edit Signature link.

Hello everyone!

:welcome: Sheri. So sorry Kara is going through so much. Glad she is going to get her wish to see Ariel & the princess castle.

Welcome Sherri!
I am sad they got rid of parents night out....I was looking forward to that.
Does anyone know what they are doing instead?

Thats a bummer! It was a very much needed break for us and the kids needed some structured play.
Do you know why they stopped doing it?

Trying to figure this all out.....

My daughter (13) got approved for a wish trip to Disneyworld. We have the dates (april 19-25 bummer is 2 of those days are almost all in the air). We had to buy our own airfare for our adult daughter(20)...but there was no way a wish trip was happening without her too! Not sure about her theme park admissions but, we will deal with that as it comes.

We are still awaiting other details...such as actual stay location.....But my oldest is super concerned as she closes in on her Bachelor degree that I find out if GTKTW has internet access....

So THAT is my first question....

:welcome: I'm so glad your daughter gets her wish! My dad is coming with us and staying at GKTW but he has to pay for airfare ant park tickets himself. Not sure if it will be the same for your daughter.

I can't wait to hear all about your planning and your trip! This board has been very helpfu.

Hello everyone!
I am new to the boards, just registered today! I have been reading some of the wish trip reports for a few weeks now since we recieved a letter from our local Make A Wish chapter about our daughter Kara! Our daughter Kara who is 4 was diagnosed with a grade 2 diffuse astrocytoma brain tumor after undergoing brain surgery on October 26, 2012. Kara was always a healthy, bright child, always did everything early so this came hitting us out of nowhere like a semi truck! The only signs we had were seizures about 2 weeks before, blank faces with drooling, thaat I thought was acid reflux. A trip to the ER on a sunday morning, then we were taken by a team to John's Hopkins Hospital. Kara is doing great after having 90% of the tumor removed, she is back at preschool with her friends and no more siezures! We went back this past week for another MRI and they think the tumor might be growing so we will go back next week to start her on a chemo plan. :( Im new to all of the medical stuff too. Our social worker (Lori) at Hopkins is the wonderful person who refered Kara for her wish!

:welcome: I am so glad Kara gets her wish! I have a Kara that is 4 also and I am sure that would be her wish too as she loves Ariel! but it is my 7 year old that is my wish kid. Looking forward to hear more about your planning.

Jackie

Thank you everyone for the welcome! Kara and I were looking through some of the trip reports and pictures (During the Superbowl- We live in Maryland and she loves the Ravens) It was great! She just kept saying more MaMa more!:rotfl: she loved seeing other kids with boo boo's and what they look like! I just hope her wish is as wonderful as the ones we have seen!

:welcome: I am so glad Kara gets her wish! I have a Kara that is 4 also and I am sure that would be her wish too as she loves Ariel! but it is my 7 year old that is my wish kid. Looking forward to hear more about your planning.

Jackie[/QUOTE]

Hello Jackie!

My Kara is a spunky little thing! She has her own fashion sense and only likes to wear dresses! I should have learned by now to NOT buy pants! She loves make up and nail polish too, and has asked to go to the BBB to get "sparkled" as she says. :wizard: Kara is the only girl granddaughter and the youngest (on both sides) so she is spoiled...we also have two older sons that we are not sure if they would be able to go. They are both in High School and we would not want to pull them out because it would be alot of work to make up and they live part time with their other parents. Kara is in preschool where I also work so it makes it easy for me to give meds and check on her. I have been reading that MAW usually does a wish party? is that true? If so we would love to include her friends at her preschool since their parents and them have been so helpful to us. I look forward to seeing all her smiles throughout all the hard stuff.

I bet your Kara is wonderful too! I would love to hear more about her and your wish son! Also when is your trip? Details...Details (per the Grinch-one of Kara's favorite movies).:)

Sheri

kalimom6 said:
Thats a bummer! It was a very much needed break for us and the kids needed some structured play.
Do you know why they stopped doing it?

I was told that the program got too big and they simply didn't have even room. It took place originally in the Gingerbread house, but the program got so big that it took up the entire back room, which during the busy times meant that there weren't enough tables for other families. Then it was moved to Amberville, which meant that building closed at 6 to everyone but the kids night out program. As of right now, I don't think that there is a plan to add another program in its place. So Wednesday nights will just be Village Idol.

I was told that the program got too big and they simply didn't have even room. It took place originally in the Gingerbread house, but the program got so big that it took up the entire back room, which during the busy times meant that there weren't enough tables for other families. Then it was moved to Amberville, which meant that building closed at 6 to everyone but the kids night out program. As of right now, I don't think that there is a plan to add another program in its place. So Wednesday nights will just be Village Idol.

Ahhh, that makes sense. I am sure it was a popular night.

Thank you everyone for the welcome! Kara and I were looking through some of the trip reports and pictures (During the Superbowl- We live in Maryland and she loves the Ravens) It was great! She just kept saying more MaMa more!:rotfl: she loved seeing other kids with boo boo's and what they look like! I just hope her wish is as wonderful as the ones we have seen!

Jackie

Hello Jackie!

My Kara is a spunky little thing! She has her own fashion sense and only likes to wear dresses! I should have learned by now to NOT buy pants! She loves make up and nail polish too, and has asked to go to the BBB to get "sparkled" as she says. :wizard: Kara is the only girl granddaughter and the youngest (on both sides) so she is spoiled...we also have two older sons that we are not sure if they would be able to go. They are both in High School and we would not want to pull them out because it would be alot of work to make up and they live part time with their other parents. Kara is in preschool where I also work so it makes it easy for me to give meds and check on her. I have been reading that MAW usually does a wish party? is that true? If so we would love to include her friends at her preschool since their parents and them have been so helpful to us. I look forward to seeing all her smiles throughout all the hard stuff.

I bet your Kara is wonderful too! I would love to hear more about her and your wish son! Also when is your trip? Details...Details (per the Grinch-one of Kara's favorite movies).:)

Sheri[/QUOTE]

My Kara is the same way... Frilly dresses and skirts on at all times... even when playing in the dirt :) She LOVEs having her nails painted too! Her twin, Allie, loves dresses too but she usually wears more of a an everyday dress. Sometimes they surprise me and wear stretchy pants for a short time but usually only for a few minutes :)

My girls are in preschool too and are very smart and silly girls :) They are the youngest on both sides of the family though. Trev their amazing big brother is 7 and in second grade and loves school, sports and reading. We are going on Trev's wish trip June 2-8. His wish is to be a Jedi during Star Wars Weekend.

Our chapter does a send off party a couple weeks before we leave. We get all of our info and our expense check at that time. If we go to a restaurant we can only have a total of 10 people including our family and the wish grantors. Otherwise if we have it at our house we can invite whoever we want.

Jackie

Hello everyone!

Welcome Sheri! :flower3: So sorry to hear everything Kara has had to go through. So excited to hear more about her Ariel wish!!! :goodvibes

Hello everyone!

Welcome! I'm so glad she's able to get a wish. I'm new to all of this too, so I'm learning the ropes with you. We just found out that Ava was approved but we're still waiting to find out who her wish granters are. I'm sure y'all will have a wonderful time. Can't wait to read her pretrip report. :-)

Kristy

Wow! I'm so glad to see this is still happening and everyone is still out there helping each other and making trip reports. How very wonderful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter