Majors for Imagineering?

waltdisney1901

Earning My Ears
My dream job would be a Disney Imagineer for any of the parks or just working for Disney but mostly an imagineer. Since I will be a senior once fall comes around, I've been thinking about potential colleges and majors to help me pursue my dream. As of right now, I've been thinking of becoming a software engineer with a computer science major and was wondering if that was part of imagineering?

I was also wondering about other majors that could help with becoming an imagineer.

when it comes to Disney really any major can become an Imagineer. it isn't something strictly for engineer majors because disney uses people for so many aspects of design when creating things. It is really more about what Disney is doing now and in the future, Disney always recommends that people study what they want and then find a position within the company with that.

I know two people who work for Disney Imagineering. One is a structural engineer, and one is a civil engineer. The stuff the civil engineer does has more of a creative/people component to it as he helps with crowd flow to keep people moving. I have a friend who works for Universal who does more of the design stuff. He travels to Universal parks and events and organizes the design of the sets for attractions. He majored in Television Production and worked in that field for about 20 years before joining Universal. I think people with a technical background may have a better chance to join theme park teams earlier after school than those with creative backgrounds, just because there is a higher need. Disney can have their pick of artists, but wooing the best and brightest engineers away from big tech firms is a challenge.

I have also been wondering this too as an incoming college freshman. I will be a computer science major so I am hoping that sets me on the right track. Like previously mentioned, Disney Imagineering is such a diverse field that I am sure what you are planning on pursuing would be a great fit. I am definitely interested to hear what others have to say about this though.

A good portion of the Imagineers have artistic/theatrical degrees or experiences. I worked with one who traveled the country doing light design work for theaters and Disney approached him. Imgaineers are typically the top of their field, having already made a name for themselves in their industries, then joining Disney.

There are others that work their way up through the Disney chain, but that's harder to do.

I'm majoring in theatre design with the hope of becoming an Imagineer. I've heard that you should get really good at something you're passionate in, and that skill will make you valuable to Imagineering, so don't worry about specific majors too much!

My dream job would be a Disney Imagineer for any of the parks or just working for Disney but mostly an imagineer. Since I will be a senior once fall comes around, I've been thinking about potential colleges and majors to help me pursue my dream. As of right now, I've been thinking of becoming a software engineer with a computer science major and was wondering if that was part of imagineering?

I was also wondering about other majors that could help with becoming an imagineer.

Finance, Stay with computer science and work for a company that appreciates your work. That company is not Disney!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!