Major Changes Planned for World Showcase Restaurants

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by crazy4wdw, May 2, 2007.

1. crazy4wdw

crazy4wdw DIS Veteran

Epcot eateries set for major makeovers

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mrp4352

mrp4352 DIS Veteran

I'd love to see them take the sushi area and offer 'first-timers' classes or menu. I've wanted to try sushi, but haven't been brave enough to just walk right in and sit down to order. It sounds like they're on that track with the tequila bar - so maybe we'll see the premise move across the lagoon to Japan!

Thanks for the info!! Exciting times!

4. Another Voice

Another Voice Charter Member of The Element

The real question is whether Epcot will remain true to itself and present an authenitic "this is just like it is in Tokyo" sushi place - or are we going to be slung fish sticks it in some trendy, pandering, Americanized, mass market, brand name faux fish joint designed to squeeze the most Disney Dining Points from Joe Tourist?

5. rocketriter

rocketriter DIS Veteran

I'm baffled by the decision to close Alfredo's, the largest-grossing restaurant at Epcot. Hey, let's punish success!

6. mrsR123

mrsR123 Mourns her Tag Fairy tag. :-(

The accountineers know perfectly well that a mediocre Italian restaurant with a generic pasta menu will do well enough and cost them way, way less money to run. They don't need authenticity or exceptional quality anymore because most folks will pay for whatever is given them.

I'm getting depressed again.

7. Jason71

Jason71 Brother to pirates and corsairs...

OK, it's just a "temporary" place (tho a full year is longer than most new restaurants last), they are using existing kitchen and dining spaces and they presumably already have a set menu from somewhere, but how do you open a full-service restaurant in less than 24 hours? I would think it would take that long to move in all the food and cookware, forget about trying to train staff and servers.

Is the name the only thing Alfredo's is taking? Or will "Generic Italian Restaurant" be serving microwaved TV dinners from a window?

8. Uncleromulus

Uncleromulus <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

Interesting.
    My question is--where did they put those 25 extra seats at San Angel?? The better bet would have been to REMOVE 25 seats. The tables are impossibly close as it is.

9. DisneyBaby!

DisneyBaby! Proud father of 3

When they re-open "Generic Italian" the next day, It wll probably be using the same people, equipment and quite possibly food the was there the day before but you would be amazed at what restaurants can pull off. I would not want to eat there the last night, I can only imagine the things they will 86 through the night, or the fixtures that will dissappear. But I say it is about time the dining goes through these changes. The changes to food technology in the last 25 years is amazing, but it takes alot of time and $$$$ to do it right. And I know of nobody that wants to take on capital improvements in a restaurant on their own dime, they always want somebody else to pony up the dough, thats why you see so many brand names and logos on menus, nobody wants to pay to print the new menu, so get Hunt's and Coke to help out. So yeah, i'm also not surprised they waited 25 years. Reminds me of the old joke from working in a restaurant, "how do you make a small fortune in the restaurant business? Start with a large one."

10. mitros

mitros <font color=red>I'm not nuts, I just appear to be<

Join the crowd............:guilty: :sad1:

11. rodkenrich

rodkenrich DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing.

12. northie

northie .

According to the guide on the Hidden Treasures of the World Showcase Tour we took in April, it was Alfredo's decision. She said they are the first restaurant at Epcot to decide not to renew their contract, and that Disney was baffled by their decision.

Then again, she also told us you can make ADR's up to 90 days ahead of your arrival date when we all know that's not true, and she said that Disney had no plans to replace Alfredo's with another restaurant when I had already seen reported several places they were in negotiations for another Italian restaurant before I went n my trip, so maybe you can take that with a grain of salt. :confused3

Sara

13. Chuck S

Chuck S DVC Boards Co-Moderator Moderator

Looking at the Patina Group's website, they have some really nice upscale restaurants in CA and Vegas. Thank goodness, while I've been disapponted in Alfredo's on recent visits, I was afraid they'd be replaced with another Landry's branded restaurant. I think Patina Group will do a good job.

14. DizGeek

DizGeek Are we there yet?

I have ADR's for Alfredos on Aug 31---their last day! I did this thinking it would be cool to be there then...now I'm thinking differently.

Thoughts?

15. northie

northie .

I would go if I were you. I regret I never got there last time we were there a couple weeks ago.

Sara

16. allamar

allamar Earning My Ears

This is a little misleading - the current Japanese restaurant in Epcot is hardly authentic. The "Japanese steakhouse" concept is a complete American fabrication. Sounds like this change at least has the potential of being in the right direction.

17. Brian_WDW74

Brian_WDW74 <font color=red>Theme Parks Co-Moderator<br><font

I'll be there Aug. 30. I would have went on Aug. 31 but I'll be at the P&PP that evening. I think you'll be fine.

*Brian*

18. Margie J

Margie J <font color=navy>Please <font color=red>DON'T <fon

I wonder if ADR will open their own restaurant in the Orlando area? That would be great for ADR fans and they won't have to be ruled by Disney.

19. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

Odd, Alfredo's management says that they are baffled by Disney's decision and Disney says that they are baffled by Alfredo's decision. So who decided what?

I don't like the trend personally. Once they destroyed Akershus, I kind of expected Operation Princess takeover but it hasn't materialized after all, at least not yet.