Maintaining fitness level- runners?

Discussion in 'W.I.S.H' started by Raenstoirm, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Raenstoirm

Raenstoirm Moderator Moderator

I am currently on a marathon training schedule to be completed in late April. There is a lot of work to get yourself ready for such an event (as I am discovering and I have only been working on it for a month!). When it is over, how do you keep up that fitness? An hour or two run a couple times a week? Then upping it when a race is on the horizon? I am still very new to long distances, but I dont want to "waste" my training by only running one race and having to start from scratch for the next one.

2. adkkev

adkkev hiking fool

Once you run a HM or marathon, you'll want to run another. or two. or three. So you take a "rest week" after your marathon, cutting back on your miles, taking it easy, and then you start plotting about your next big race.

I haven't had a race since mid-September but I am still running 5 days a week ... for me it's just a matter of liking to run & it helps keep me healthy. The health part is motivation enough for me.

3. SAHDad

SAHDad DIS Veteran

If all you are wanting to do is maintain fitness so that you can ramp back up to training for a half without starting from scratch, you could get by with running 2-3 short runs (of about 3 miles) per week, and then a long run of about 6.

But, as adkkev said, running races can get addictive. So you might find yourself in a situation where you always have a race on the horizon, which is not a bad thing.

4. Steve's Girl

Steve's Girl DIS Veteran

Typically, my last race of the season is in Oct or Nov and then I don't run another race until spring. Since we live in the Midwest, I try to keep my running flexible over the winter based on weather. I have found that 2 or 3 shorter runs during the week and a longer run over the weekend is fine for maintaining fitness. I use a 12 week plan to prepare for a half and a 16 week plan to prepare for a full. So, I ramp up my running based on when my first race is scheduled in the spring.

5. Snelldog

Snelldog Earning My Ears

I finished the Chicago Marathon in early October. (My first) I tried to follow some recovery plans, but MAN it was HARD!! So, after 2 weeks of 6 miles, then 10 miles, I took two weeks off. BIG MISTAKE! My first run back was VERY difficult, and 2 min/mile slower. Anyway, I've stuck with it, and after 2 weeks now, I'm running pretty well. But, oddly, a little slower than I had been before the marathon. Also, i've gained 12 pounds. But, I attribute that to eating the same as I was when I was in full blown training mode. I find that signing up for the next race is very important. It is what keeps me motivated. Maybe even just a 5k. But, I've already signed up for 2 Halfs. A local one, and Little Rock. Very excited! Anyway. That's my $.02

6. cewait

cewait DIS Veteran

Generally, I will keep a base where I run 10-13 miles as a long run every 2-3 weeks. But I also suggest spreading out the fun into cycling and swimming. You may not feel like running for a week or two post marathon (marathon blues). That is normal. Once you feel like you can walk well, hit the road and get back into the routine.