Mailing to iraq question

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by flying_babyb, Jan 19, 2008.

1. flying_babyb

flying_babyb DIS Veteran

I have a friend in iraq and I keep sending her letters. Well I just got my 3rd one back with RTS ANK. on it. What does that mean?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Wonderlandmom

Wonderlandmom <font color=blue>Still Wondering...<br><font color

"return to sender, address not known" ?? Probably needs a better address is my guess.

4. mickeyville

mickeyville Mickey + Margaritas = Vacation !!!

Return To Sender
    Attempted Not Known

In english, that means this person is not at this address. It could be an incorrect addy, or the unit may have relocated...

5. flying_babyb

flying_babyb DIS Veteran

I would guess they relocated.

6. prattjoanna

prattjoanna Earning My Ears

Some units in country move around a lot. However, if you know her unit, they may have a "wives" group here in the states that can help you get the correct address. Google the unit number and you are bound to find out how to send care packages to them.

7. flying_babyb

flying_babyb DIS Veteran

I googled the unit and got no were :(

8. Christypl

Christypl Mouseketeer

Overseas APO and FPO address do not change if the unit moves. The address is for the unit themselves regardless of where they are. Example...my dh was on ship, then in Japan...address stayed the same.
    My guess is you have the address wrong.

9. flying_babyb

flying_babyb DIS Veteran

I cant, All the other letters written to the same address have gone though. theres no differnance

10. lovemygoofy

lovemygoofy DIS Veteran

That isn't true for all units. My husband usually goes through 3-4 APOs while deployed. He is already on his 2nd and I just received his soon to be 3rd and it's only a month into this tour of Iraq.

OP, are you addressing the envelope correctly? Don't put the address out here but if you want to PM me I could let you know if it's done correctly. Sometimes mail there is just a PITA.

ETA: I'm sorry I didn't see where you had sent other letters that were not returned. It seems that the APO could have changed. Do you have an email to contact your friend?

11. flying_babyb

flying_babyb DIS Veteran

yea I emailed her a few weeks back but her computer had broken right before christmas so I dont know if she can respond.

12. flying_babyb

flying_babyb DIS Veteran

I feel real stupid. I had her last name wrong due to my roomate. I found a old email today and relized my mistake. Gonna mail my huge pile of letters off again tommrow.

13. jsmith

jsmith <font color=darkorchid>And now I am off to get my

Overseas APO and FPO address do not change if the unit moves. The address is for the unit themselves regardless of where they are. Example...my dh was on ship, then in Japan...address stayed the same.
    My guess is you have the address wrong.
    What Tina said-if the unit is assigned a number -i.e. an address line that says unit #1234-that stays static but APO's are location specific-FPOs i believe stay with the unit.

14. Fizzgig

Fizzgig Enjoy your travels, wherever they take you! May th

I second lovemygoofy... My Army friend went through a few addresses as he was moved around Iraq.

15. cirquelovers

cirquelovers Mouseketeer

I am finding military addresses to be very confusing and the forms have me scared! It sure is expensive to send stuff over to the troops too. My son and I have just joined beanies for Bahgdad, thanks to a hint here on dis, and are trying to figure all this stuff out!!

16. memymomonica

memymomonica Addicted to Disney and Proud of it!!

It could depend on what branch of the service too. My husband is a Marine, and his address does NOT change during deployments. When he is on the ship, on land, different ports, all the same address. Army may change theirs.:confused3

17. flying_babyb

flying_babyb DIS Veteran

Im just glad to have found her again.Funny thing is the name was never wrong. Its just shes known by her maden name, not her married name since they got married right before they deployed. I found her, talked to her on yahoo, and found out shes got myspace to boot LOL.

I found a soilder to adopt on this site: http://www.mysoldier.com/ and was amazed at how often she responds. Whats niceis many soliders on here have email.