Magnetic surfaces and DIY decorations

WanderLit

Mouseketeer
A question for repeat Disney Cruisers:

I was planning on bringing some birthday decorations on my cruise for my granddaughter. She's turning 5! I know using tape, tacks, or any other means that might mar interior surfaces is forbidden so I plan on using magnets.

While I have read that the stateroom doors are magnetic I was wondering if there were any other magnetic surfaces I might make good use of.

door frames? the door between joining staterooms? bathroom and closest doors? ceiling vents? the door frame of the sliding veranda doors? drop-down bed frame and apparatus?

Also, I know the ship has celebration packages that include hanging garlands. So how, exactly, do these garlands get hung? Could I supplement a celebrations package with additional garlands of my own making? What materials would I need to use to make it happen the same way the celebrations packages do?

I want to make sure my fairy god mother game is on point!

~WL

Not closet doors. The entire ceiling is magnetic. DCL also uses items it hangs from top of curtains, you could clothes pin lighter items.

Veranda frames are generally heavely painted so weaker magnets may not work.

Noted! I didn't think about the thickness of the paint being a potential problem.

... but the entire ceiling you say?!!! Oh yeah... I can go crazy on that!

the interior walls are also magnetic (well, have enough metal that magents will stick), at least in the rooms we have had on the Dream and Fantasy.

I found it usful to print decorations on photo or cardstock paper, trim as required, and then I used business card magnets ( http://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-Business-Card-Magnets-100-Pack/product_26721_2-CA_1_20001 ) on the back to make them magnetic. Worked very well, inexpensive, and easy to do.

SW

Last edited:
We own a scrapbook store and sell a magnetic tape that is in a dispenser like scotch tape. We used it on our first cruise. It was a blast to use

The walls in an oceanview room on the Wonder were absolutely not magnetic on our sailing in May 2015. I had rare earth magnets and they would not stick on any walls (only the door frames). The ceiling and doors were magnetic.

It sounds like investing in a roll of that magnetic tape could lead to all sorts of possibilities!!!

You can also use putty on the porthole or verandah windows and the mirrors without fear of marking them!
No window clings thou.

No window clings? I was thinking about using the static ones (no adhesive). Are those not allowed?

No window clings? I was thinking about using the static ones (no adhesive). Are those not allowed?

Are you talking about the gel-type things? If so, there have been reports that the colors (particuarly the red) stain the wall/door that they have been placed on.

If it's some other kind of wall decal, I don't know. But DCL does say not to use any adhesive or tape.

:cutie:

I was going to point out that the dye in the gel can stain. I read a report of some people who used them in their room on a Christmas cruise last year (not DCL) and when they took them down, the walls were badly stained. They were charged for fixing it.

:cutie:

Sorry, I was referring to using window clings on the doors or walls as mentioned above. Not on the glass!

I used the magnetic clips to hang graduation garland from our door frame. Worked great. Would also be fab for a banner across the ceiling.

I wanted to put snowflakes and FROZEN window clings on the glass veranda doors and maybe mirrors. They are the kind that remind me of Colorforms, (anyone remember those?) not the jelly clings. I've never had window clings stain glass so I'm going for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!