Magic's super creaky state room

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by kjpatt, Dec 6, 2011.

1. kjpatt

kjpatt Earning My Ears

We just spent Thanksgiving week on the Magic. The staff was wonderful but the room was so incredibly creaky I hardly slept the entire week. Several on our hallway had the same problem. We were in room 2612. I was really surprised at how loudly the room creaked all night long. Kind of spoiled what would have been a perfect cruise.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. renee123

renee123 Mouseketeer

That's must have been annoying. I booked a suite on the magic in a few weeks. Let me ask you something. ..do you think earplugs would help? Just trying to avoid a sleepless night. I just know the creaking with creep me out. I'm very nervous about cruising to begin with.

4. been2marceline

been2marceline <font color=teal>Fish are Food, not Friends!<br><f

I've been on 5 DCL cruises - 2 differnt ships, 5 different staterooms - they all creak, except when the ship is not moving.

No way to avoid it. Lots of folks use plugs or wave machines, etc. to mask the noise.

5. giljr

giljr Now is the time! Now is the best time! Now is th

Creaking rooms are common on all cruise ships. Been on 4 different ships on 3 different lines, and they all creaked.

6. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

It is a ship and not a hotel.....just the inherent movement of a ship on the water makes it creak....personally I do not mind it but I can see how it could be annoying. What startles me is when the water is a bit rough and in the middle of the night the closet doors slide open and then slam shut. I see they now have velcro to hold the doors closed.

Definitely give ear plugs a try next time.

MJ

7. holie

holie Mouseketeer

what bothered me was the unused hangers rattling about... I just took those off and when we were moving and my dead weight was swaying side to side in bed. haha.
    Heard creaking, but it wasn't loud enough to keep me awake.

8. flowerboy

flowerboy Earning My Ears

I had the same problem on the Wonder. If all ships creak than this one was cranking. I have been on 6 cruises never had this much sleep disturbance. Was your room aft. I even noticed the aft stairways had creaking. It was not the sea because it was calm.

9. Tonka's Skipper

Tonka's Skipper DIS Veteran

All ships creak...its is the movement of the steel in the construction, and the design that allows the ships to flex to the motion of the ocean.

All you need for the ships to creak, even loudly, is the right combination of waves.......swells, and direction and period (spacing apart). Add to that wind and ships course.

Another added factor is the RPM's of the props, hit the right RPM'S, even the difference of 1 or 2 RPM'S can greatly effect the vibration/creaking. The creaking could even be different from deck to deck and fore or aft, etc.

This is all very normal!:thumbsup2

AKK