Magicians, Hypnotists and Gaga Ball on the Magic

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports' started by jjje, Mar 19, 2013.

1. DizDragonfly

DizDragonfly <font color=green>Oooh oooh! Can we take a poll? I

Absolutely! If you can convince my husband to share the stateroom, you're in! :thumbsup2

The host, who seated us in February, told us that the snow was the actual animation of the snow from the movie. I thought that was pretty neat!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Jiminy'sGirl

Jiminy'sGirl DIS Veteran

Love the update!

So I have always been curious about this WDW-as-port-adventure thang.... So basically the ship stays docked at PC all day while people run off to the parks? We could totally do this. We are like you though - we go in November and/or very early March.... We don't know how to deal with super-heavy crowds or the heat. Well, we live in TX. We know heat well... Just not how to deal with it at WDW.

4. chrisrunty

chrisrunty DIS Veteran

Yay for more trip reporting! My favorite read of the day. I love your writing and pictures! :yay: We leave in 9 days for this 8 day cruise and I've been trying to get the family to eat lunch at BOG on the WDW day. We are open to close park people too so I was most curious how you did the one day at the park. We do Disney cruises once or twice a year. (more familiar with cruises) We also have another Galveston cruise booked for November as well. Our WDW day is MK for most of the day. (we have a 4 year old) Then hit Animal Kingdom for a few rides and the Boneyard. Close out with Epcot Illuminations firework excursion through DCL. I can't wait!

5. jjje

jjje One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to d

Sorry friends, I have been out of town and then got back and started redecorating my house. Busy, busy, buys!

That's so neat! My kids will be interested in that little fact.

The ship docks super early in the morning and then buses take people to the park of their choice and then picks them up in the afternoon/evening. Pretty sweet setup.

You're brave to fit in three parks. I can't wait to hear how it goes for you!:)

6. chrisrunty

chrisrunty DIS Veteran

We just got back from the cruise Saturday night. We had early entry to Epcot at 8 am, then went to Animal Kingdom, back to EPCOT, then on to Magic Kingdom until it closed at 10 pm. We are crazy, and we had tons of fun! :thumbsup2 However, I think I am still tired from that day. :rotfl2:

7. sager1969

sager1969 Mickey Momma

You are an amazing mom and way cool to have gifted those families. My son suffers from anxiety and has some sensory issues, but he loves anything Disney. We also, looooveeee YouTube. Surprises are out of the question, but it prevents meltdowns or unhappiness. My DS -12 did say that he would like to surprised once with a trip to WDW. I was shocked.

Loving your pics. I will never look at a towel elephant the same bleeping way again. My son prefers to hang out with just one or two people so the Edge was not his thing. He did go a few times and also enjoyed the sports deck. He got brave on our cruise. This was really out first time to let him have a little freedom. i think it was harder on me than him. His favorite thing was watching Disney movies on demand. He managed to go to several things and still watch about 7 movies in four days. I was impressed with how J handles things. What an awesome kid! I love E's reaction on seeing Minnie.

Thanks for sharing!

8. triff411

triff411 Earning My Ears

Does the entertainment change when they are in Europe?

9. jjje

I'm tired just thinking about it! :)

Thanks for reading my bleeping trip report. It sounds like our kids would get along well together.

On the ship? I'm not sure. This was my first cruise and I don't know what they do on European cruises. Maybe I will have to research that someday.

10. jjje

So I didn't fall off the face of the earth. Real life just snuck in and got in the way of my finishing my trip report. When I left off we had spent the day at Disney World. Let's see if I can get back in the trip report groove.

Our next day was a sea day. We all slept pretty late because we were worn out from the day before. Disney World does that to you. As usual once we got up we had breakfast at Topsiders. As we were all carrying out trays to a table someone ran right into E and sent her cup of juice flying. E instantly started crying because both she and her breakfast were covered in juice. As cast member appeared out of nowhere and took her tray away. Before I could even get E calmed down and cleaned up the cast member was back with a new clean tray and breakfast that was exactly the same as her original one (right down the the number of slices of salami) but without being soaked in juice. I wish I had noted that cast member's name. I admire her lightning fast breakfast replacing skills.

After breakfast we dropped E off at the Lab so she could play the 4th Pig's Pasta Palace and Gaga Ball. J came with us to Diversions to do a family trivia game. If I recall correctly we did terribly and lost at trivia. Or maybe this was the time we won ear buds. Ack! I'm too far out from the cruise and getting confused. Yes, I think this is when we won ear buds. J asked for an extra pair for his sister and the cast member gave them to us. J has been using his ever since we got home.

Next we slowly wandered over to the Promenade Lounge to play Pictionary. J was picked as a team captain. He got to draw first. Somehow the people on our team managed to guess 8 of his drawings in spite of the fact that most of them were tiny and and well... unidentifiable.
    [​IMG]
    It was really just one guy on our team who managed to guess most of the answers. It was a lot of fun to play either way. I think our team won because we were ahead by 20 but all of the sudden J really wanted to leave and get to the Edge for a scavenger hunt so I guess I'll never know for sure.

At this point I have kind of a blank spot in my memory. I know I was alone because Jesse had a headache and had gone to take a little nap. I probably went and ate a bacon and brie sandwich because bacon and brie is good for your soul even if it's not so good for any other part of you.

At some point I rounded my family up and we went to lunch at Parrot Cay. (Please forget the fact that I had just eaten a bacon and brie sandwich.)
    [​IMG]
    The best part about eating lunch at Parrot Cay was that we didn't have to sit back in the corner like we did at dinner. My personal opinion is that the buffet options are just a little better at Parrot Cay than they are at Topsiders.

After lunch we dropped E back off a the Lab and the rest of us went to Rockin' Bar D to play Family Magic Quest.
    [​IMG]
    How can I describe this game? Other than to say it is the best game ever in the whole world? It was like a scavenger hunt but with everything you needed right in the room but 100 times more fun that I'm making it sound. Each team had a captain that would run the things up to the front once they found them. When people found an object it looked like this:[​IMG]
    We teamed up with another family of three. We did pretty well I think even though at one point the tallest female on the team (me) was supposed to do a dance and I sort of chickened out and ran off the stage. Ok, I might have lost us the game with that move. It didn't even matter though because it was so fun. At one point Jesse and the other guy on our team had to join hands and skip back and forth. The guy running the game was the same one who had picked Jesse out of the crowd to dance at the Sail Away party and I think he would have been happy to let Jesse skip back and forth all day. They were skipping long after everyone else had sat down. It was pretty funny. Well, it was to me anyway. I would have cried if I had been up there.
    [​IMG]

After losing at Family Magic Quest we went to Diversions to play Disney trivia. I think we lost at this. *sad trombone* J wanted to go to the Edge for a while so Jesse and I stayed in Diversions to play Movie Quote trivia. We teamed up with a really nice lady and had a nice chat with her about other cruise lines and how she thought Disney compared. We met so many nice people on out cruise. It almost made up for the large and rather obnoxious crowd we kept running into. (It's a small ship. You kind of can't avoid people. We just learned to laugh it off.)

Next up, more trivia! This time it was pirate trivia in the Promenade Lounge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Lounge is a good place to get an adult drink when you've abandoned your children at the clubs. Notice how I haven't mentioned E at all? This was her perfect day. She spent it playing Gaga Ball and Marble Mania and doing Eggsperiments and Wii Sports and doing crafts and being awesome. E is always awesome.
    [​IMG]
    But I digress. This drink was also awesome. I think it was my one non-drink of the day that I had. It was really yummy.

We lost at pirate trivia. It turns out we know less about pirates than we do about everything else. *sad trombone again*

Another blank spot in my memory. Another time I was probably eating bacon.

I was never able to walk past the lobby without trying to get at least one good picture.
    [​IMG]

Jesse and I decided to check out the Quiet Cove. This is the only time we really spent there. It was nice and quiet. I guess that's what you can say about it. Not really our deal. We like trivia and making fools of ourselves in front of people.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I suspect it was extra quiet that day because it just wasn't really warm enough to be in the pool.
    [​IMG]

At last we decided to collect the kids and go see that night's show in the Walt Disney Theater.[​IMG]
    The show was described as "The Comedy and Hypnosis of Ricky Kalmon". Oof. Not our favorite. I don't really believe in hypnotism so the show would have had to have been pretty good to impress me but I'm sad to say that it just wasn't. I really felt like the one or two people who were acting hypnotized were plants. There were a couple of funny gags but overall the whole thing really fell flat. Even E, who up until that point had been enchanted by everything, thought it wasn't very good. Maybe we're just exceptionally cynical.

After the show we went to our room to get ready for dinner. It was Pirate night and J and E both had pirate clothes to change into. Well, sort of. J had a pirate short and E had a pirate dress and princess pirate Mickey ears. We didn't go all out. I didn't realize before the cruise how into the whole Pirate thing some people got. We felt a little lame with how under-dressed we were.
    [​IMG]

Photobucket is acting up so I will continue this at another time. Next up, Pirates Ahoy!