Magical Grand Gatherings? Anyone done these??

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Jaime, May 1, 2007.

1. Jaime

Jaime DIS Veteran

We have going to be in WDW in early Dec for 4 nights. After alot of flip flopping this is what we think will be the most fun.

Grand Gatherings Illuminations Dinner
    Sci Fi
    Magical Gatherings Breakfast

Has anyone done any of these? We wanted to go places we have never been and since there is 8 of us in our group we decided it might be fun to take advantage of the Grand Gathering offers. We would love to get some reviews on these places before we book our ADR's.

Thanks for your help.

2. mickeystoontown

mickeystoontown DIS Veteran

From the restaurants on your list, we have only eaten at the Sci-Fi. Some people just don't like the food at the Sci-Fi but you'll also find lots that really enjoy it.

We are among those that like the Sci-Fi a lot. In fact, we will be going back in June and have an ADR for dinner at the Sci-Fi. This will be out 4th time to eat there.

The atmosphere is what makes the restaurant special. I mean where else can you eat in miniature cars and watch old clips of movies while you are still inside and in the air conditioning.

As far as the food goes, I've not found anything to be horrible. Our daughter likes the ribs. I like the salad and BLT soup (super good). My husband always orders the Reuben sandwich and our son just goes for a plain hamburger or hot dog. The desserts are quite delicious.

The waiters/waitresses are very nice and efficient.

Have a fun trip and eat lots of good food! Lisa

3. Jaime

Jaime DIS Veteran

Thanks Lisa

I think we will like SC FI alot... we plan to go around 4:00 and are hoping we can order burgers.

We want to watch the parade then have supper any idea what time we should make our ADR's for?

4. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Jaime

Jaime DIS Veteran

Has anyone done any of the Gatherings?

6. daisy112878

daisy112878 DIS Veteran

Last time we were there in July 2005 we did the Safari Grand Gathering and loved it. Our guide spent a lot more time doing the safari and they brought out a few animals at dinner. The food was actually really good too and served family style. Also Pumbaa and Timon came and spent quite a bit of time with the families and the kids. We are planning on doing it again in December when we go. Anohter plus was leaving the park after it closed and the tree was all lite up. It was beautiful and we got some awesome pictures. We're also planning on doing the Tony's Breakfast Grand Gathering.

7. HannaBelle

HannaBelle DIS Veteran

We have not eaten at the Sci-Fi, but it is the first stop for our upcomming trip!

We LOVED the safari. Everything was wonderful..the safari, the food, the entertainment...I would highly recommend it.

Tony's was nice as well. We had a really bad table and were squeezed in next to another big family, but the kids loved it! The food was plated and served, but refills were unlimited. We all got to see Phillharmagic together after breakfast using our pin as a "Fast Pass" b/c Tony said we could!

I would recommend both the Safari and Tony's. It is hard to get a table to 12+ people (even with ADR's - the wait is still a long one with little kids!) and to have one waiting on us was great!

Enjoy!

8. Jaime

Jaime DIS Veteran

As far as I know the Safari isn't going on when we are there...but Tony's Breakfast is and we plan to book it. Did you find you treated a little different on the Grand Gathering experiences than the normal ADR's? Were you waits limited? I love that you get a "fastpass" for a ride...that's pretty neat!

Has anyone done the Illumination Dinner...I would love to read more about it!

9. HannaBelle

HannaBelle DIS Veteran

The breakfast at Tony's is not open to the general public. There was a table waiting for us when we arrived. It was nice.

We went to the Illuminations Dinner and it was our least favorrite event. Here is a quote from an earlier posted I made...

Sorry to hear that the safari won't be available for this trip! I would recommend Tony's, but not Illuminations. Of course, you might love it...so do what fits in your schedule best!

10. granolacruncher11

granolacruncher11 Mouseketeer

Are you able to use the DDP for any of the "gatherings"? Thanx.

11. HannaBelle

HannaBelle DIS Veteran

Yes you can use TS credits for some of the Grand Gathering experiences, but I cannot remember which ones and I am not sure if they are 1 TS meal or 2 TS meals on the regular DDP.

I would recommend calling the Grand Gatherings people...407-939-7526.

We really enjoyed them b/c they are designed for large groups. I would recommend trying them - even the Illuminations one, maybe we just had a bad night!

The most important thing is that you are there with your entire family, you are not rushed and you have plenty of room to be together! It is all about making the memories!!!