test mobile ad location
  1. Guest - Welcome to the new DIS Boards! I will create a thread on the tech support board to talk about any issues we are seeing and another thread to discuss new functionality - Alex

Magical Family?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by mom2jcg, Mar 1, 2013.

1. mom2jcg

mom2jcg New Member

Has anyone ever been selected as the magical family for the cruise? We were chosen on our first cruise, and although it said "the" magical family, I assumed we were one of several or even many, but I haven't seen anyone mention it on here. I was just curious how common it was, and how we were selected out of all of the families onboard if there aren't many. I did have my birthday on the cruise, but I'm sure many others did too. Maybe they do it for everyone on their first cruise?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

to hide this advert.
  3. tinker6

tinker6 New Member

We were chosen last year, after we checked in, as "the family of the day". We were sailing on the Dream. My understanding is that 1 family is chosen each cruise. It was alot of fun for our kids. We had our picture taken with Mickey and Minnie in the terminal, didn't have to wait in line for the kids club bracelets and got to be 1st on the ship. A very "Magical" experience.

4. mom2jcg

mom2jcg New Member

We were not the first ones on the ship, but received a note on our door saying that we had been chosen as the "magical family." We received petit fours in our room one day, a plate of chocolate chip cookies one day, and were assigned a special CM who called every day to see if we needed anything. We even received a credit to pay for our excursion at CC. It was very cool, and I just wondered how we got to be so lucky?:)

5. cruisecrasher

cruisecrasher New Member

It's not everyone's first cruise, especially as more than half the cruisers we spoke to on our Galveston sailings were first timers. Nothing for them, nothing for me. I'm glad you got a little pixie dust.

6. su_A_ve

su_A_ve New Member

Two cruises and squat here... Well, we did get some pixie dust on the first (upgrade from OGT to a 5E), but nothing at all on the second one.

7. Meghatron

Meghatron New Member

There is a difference between being "Family of the Day" (first to board) and being chosen by a CM as their personal Magical Family of that cruise. The latter is like being adopted and you get all kinds of little special pixie dustings. We were a Magical Family for a CM in Guest Services on our Cruise to Nowhere in 2011. Yes, there can be multiple Magical Families on each cruise; I don't know how or why the CMs are allowed the choose.

8. 1153rsmith

1153rsmith New Member

We were the family of the day on our April 2012 cruise on the Magic. It was great. We got our pics with Mickey AND Minnie, got our name announced to the terminal, "first on the ship" (not really--- it looked like concierge got on before us), and got a snack delivered almost every afternoon to our cabin.

It was such a special memory. We still talk about it and the picture of us with M&M hangs in my office.

It is those little Pixie dust moments that make us love Disney.

In case you were wondering, I attribute our being picked to 3 things:

1] arriving at terminal early... we were there by 11am
    2] we had created matching cruise shirts we were were wearing
    3] we were very excited to be castaway club members for the first time and were very friendly with all the CM's we met.

Disney brings out the kid in our family. :thumbsup2

9. dizzi

dizzi New Member

We were not the Family f th day on the cruise.

But last year before our crise we spent one day at Magic Kingdom, and we were picked to be the GRAND MARSHALL OF THE PARADE!!!!!

I am sure it was bacause we were ther very early and had on our Wedding Mickey EARs ............. We had Literally just gotten Married at Sunrise that day.

IT was a magical time!!!

10. lorimay

lorimay New Member

A sunrise wedding, that must have been beautiful.
    Congratulations.

11. mom2jcg

mom2jcg New Member

Thanks everyone! I'm enjoying reading everyone's magical stories:)!

12. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Thank you

it was a beautiful day for us.