• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magical Express- check-in podium?

KJay

DIS Veteran
My daughter thinks we're staying at CSR again...but we're surprising her w/ a stay at Beach Club (she's been dreaming about BC for a while)! I'm trying to figure out how/when to break the surprise. I want to wait as long as possible, but I'm having trouble remembering what happens when you approach the ME area. I was thinking that I could just head to the Beach Club line, at which point dd would tell me I'm going the wrong way :laughing:. Now I'm vaguely remembering a podium before the lines. Is there a podium first, and will a CM be there asking us which resort we're going to?? Thanks!

My daughter thinks we're staying at CSR again...but we're surprising her w/ a stay at Beach Club (she's been dreaming about BC for a while)! I'm trying to figure out how/when to break the surprise. I want to wait as long as possible, but I'm having trouble remembering what happens when you approach the ME area. I was thinking that I could just head to the Beach Club line, at which point dd would tell me I'm going the wrong way :laughing:. Now I'm vaguely remembering a podium before the lines. Is there a podium first, and will a CM be there asking us which resort we're going to?? Thanks!

Yes, there is a podium with a CM asking what resort so they can direct you to the proper line. The jig will be up then!;)

Ever wonder how they know at the resort that you are there or have arrived ? You are right , you pass through the podium and they scan your DME voucher . This is to notify the resorts that you have arrived and there will be enough CM'S on duty when you get to the resort . They then direct you to the resort line you need to be in and as stated before the jig will be up . Do not put the voucher away as the bus driver will also scan the book . Have a great trip you will love the BC .

As the PPs have said, they'll scan your ME vouchers and ask you to confirm which resort you're staying at. So at that point you'll have to say BC. Also note that the ME tags you put on your luggage say the resort name. So, most likely, she'll figure it out at this point.

Perhaps...and this is a big perhaps...you could manage to have your daughter be elsewhere (out of ear shot) when you check in at ME. Then when she's in line with you (by the sign that says BC), you can tell her the CM said to stand in this line for some reason. Whether this would work or not will probably depend on how old your daughter is and how good you are are fudging the truth. :rotfl:

As the PPs have said, they'll scan your ME vouchers and ask you to confirm which resort you're staying at. So at that point you'll have to say BC. Also note that the ME tags you put on your luggage say the resort name. So, most likely, she'll figure it out at this point.

Perhaps...and this is a big perhaps...you could manage to have your daughter be elsewhere (out of ear shot) when you check in at ME. Then when she's in line with you (by the sign that says BC), you can tell her the CM said to stand in this line for some reason. Whether this would work or not will probably depend on how old your daughter is and how good you are are fudging the truth. :rotfl:

If you're able to pull off the surprise up to this point you will want to clue the driver in as well. I know when I did DME I always confirmed with my passengers what resorts everyone was going to just to make sure my paperwork was correct.
Good luck and have fun!

My thought would be to call DME ahead of time, and see if there's any way they can help you out.

If you tell people discretely, I'm sure they will try to help you out as much as possible. I know what in calling regarding surprising my boyfriend with a gift when we get there, they were trying to help me out. All was good until I left my email open on his computer.

I love surprises...I really do. And I love helping others pull them off. BUT..having said all that, it's going to be hard to keep your change of resort from your dd. You really aren't going to be able to keep it from her once you get into the bus line. Sure, you may be able to keep it from her by distracting her when you check in at the end of the bus line. But, then, you stand in the line and there is a sign at the front of the line (as well as the entrance to the line at the back) that states the resort name. Then, when you are on the bus, the driver is going to have to make announcements about the upcoming stops. It wouldn't be fair to the rest of the bus to alter these announcements in any way.

But, what you might be able to do is to tell her that you have to go to BC for some reason. You could tell her that you have to go there to pick something up that someone left for you..and that you are then going to take a cab over to CSR..then spring the surprise on her when you get to the checkin counter. If she is old enough to question why DME is allowing you to do that, just tell her you got special permission. But, she would have to be pretty conversant on the ways of DME to notice.

If your daughter is younger she may not notice which line you are in, but she is older and you want to be sure to surprise her, I would use a town car service from the airport to the resort. I know it adds to the cost, but imagine the surprise pulling up to the front of the Beach Club. ;)

U could always say u have dining reservations there right away so u need to take the ME bus there and then you'll go to the other resort after u eat.

U could always say u have dining reservations there right away so u need to take the ME bus there and then you'll go to the other resort after u eat.

or say, "Hmmmmm, this is the line they told me to get in".....

Nope, DME won't care, nor should they. You are expected to get into the line for the resort you are reserved at. Otherwise, guests would just hop on any bus they wanted to with no regard to those that are supposed to be on specific buses and then causing bus overload.

goofy4tink said:
Nope, DME won't care, nor should they. You are expected to get into the line for the resort you are reserved at. Otherwise, guests would just hop on any bus they wanted to with no regard to those that are supposed to be on specific buses and then causing bus overload.

I think she meant to tell her daughter she had dinner reservations at the beach club. To explain why they are in that line.

I think she meant to tell her daughter she had dinner reservations at the beach club. To explain why they are in that line.
Yes, that's what I meant. Tell the daughter you have dining reservations there right away so that's why you're going there first.

Doesn't the driver announce the resorts the bus will be stopping at just before leaving. Make sure everyone is on the right bus. Might be a sign on the bus listing the resorts.

Tell your daughter on the plane or as you're deplaning. A car service, or car rental, is the only way, AFAIK to surprise her as you're arriving at the resort.

Does your daughter listen to an iPOD. You might pull it off if she has earphones going from the time you approach the DME area until the time you approach BC.

I only did ME once but we arrived later in eve and up until we got on bus I wouldn't have known what resort we were heading too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter