Magic MAW trip for 6 in the works....

katieb4

Mouseketeer
Hello

I'm fairly new to the boards and was prompted to start my own report, which made me smile a bit. I've been reading quite a few, and it hadn't dawned on me to start my own! Duh!

My family includes myself, Kathy and husband Brian and our 4 kids. Jacob is 12, Hannah is 10, Sophia is 6 and Gabbie, our wish child, Gabbie, is 4. Hubby runs our business and I run the house :)

Our journey to becoming a Make A Wish family started last September. I took Gabbie, typically a pretty healthy kiddo, to the doctor the Friday before Labor Day because she kept spiking high temps. Dosing with ibuprofen would take it away, but it would spike again, and again. I didn't want to end up in the ER on a holiday weekend. The quick trip ended up 6 day odessy that has changed our lives. Gabbie was diagnosed with Leukemia. The last 9 months have been busy with doctor appts, physical therapy, hospital admits while juggling a new midschoolers concerns, a new kindergartener, and don't forget that middle child!

I'd heard how serious, illness really effects the whole family but can't even explain how true I know this to be now. Sorta like waiting for the other show to drop all the time. Gabbie has responded well to treatment :woohoo: But has a little more then a year and a half left. What she is undergoing now is less instense then the first 8 months, so, we think a trip at this time is giving her a true bright spot in her days.

Getting the call that Gabbie was able to select a wish was indeed very exciting. Getting the call that her first wish choice, a trip to Disney had been granted elicted wild screaming from all 4 kids, and giant grins from their parents. We can't wait!

When Gabbie was asked why she wanted to go to Disney, she promptly replied, cause its where all the princess' live!! Her favorites are Jasmine and Rapunzel. Her next oldest sister LOVES Ariel and the 10 year old Mulan. The brother, he's all about roller coasters.

We are hoping to go in mid October, as that should work the best for Gabbie and her treatment. Thats in just 5 months! So, we have started Florida dreaming a bit more earnestly as of late. I bought a passporter book that has discriptions of all things Disney in it so the kids can initial must sees/dos. I'm the planner in the family, so I hope to use this site to plan a trip all 4 kids will remember as magical

I'm jumping along for the ride. Congratulations on the Make a Wish trip. I'll definitely be keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers. Can't wait to read about all the details and planning!

I have a hubby named Brian and a daughter named Hannah too. :)

Hello!!!

I have added you guys to the first page of the Wish Trippers thread! So glad you guys are here!! :)

:welcome: Hiya! Sounds like you guys are ready for your trip and all the planing excitement! Can't wait to read more!!! :goodvibes

Here is my wish girl!

DSCN2435.jpg

And her siblings

DSCN1994.jpg

And if this works! Hooray!

Quiet day today, Gabbie's hemoglobin is pretty low and her energy level caput, so sitting with her today and hopefully figured this out!

Super cute pics!!!! I just wanna squeeze her little cheekers! :lmao: Really cute pics though- beautiful family! Thanks for sharing! :goodvibes

Hello!!!

I have added you guys to the first page of the Wish Trippers thread! So glad you guys are here!! :)

Thank you for the warm welcome! and for adding me!!

Super cute pics!!!! I just wanna squeeze her little cheekers! :lmao: Really cute pics though- beautiful family! Thanks for sharing! :goodvibes

Thank you for the welcome too! I appreciate the prayers too!!

This is my first multiquote....and I lost the first one! Sorry, but Brian and Hannah are super fantastic names I think!! ;)

Thank you for taking time to read our trip report!

Gabbie and I are very excited this AM as we got a call from MAW and we have DATES!!!! We will be leaving home October 13th and staying at a hotel closer to the airport. Oct 13 is my sons golden birthday! We leave for Florida on Oct 14 and stay until the 21st. During our stay my daughter Sophia will turn 7 and my hubby will also add a year to his age! 3 birthday and a wish trip on one week? :cool1: Much planning needs to occur this much is for sure!! :)

Its been a wild time here this weekend. Hubby's sisters (all 4) and our good friends threw a benefit for Gabbie this past weekend! It was a fantastic and incredible thing. We were blown away. It is such a tremendous thing to have bill concerns not be such a concern and then to get that call this AM? We are back to dancing even if we are tired from all the excitment this weekend.

Gabbie has been feeling pretty good this week even though her hemoglobin is staying low. Had hoped to see if on the upswing this morning as we try to avoid what has become a near monthly transfusion. Cancer sucks. But today we have disney dreams!

Preliminary trip plans:

Oct 14, fly in....GKTW orientation, star, pillows, pirates and princess party!

Oct 15, horses, EPCOT

Oct 16 Hubby Bday and Sea World

Oct 17 DD birthday, Hollywood studios, MUST SEE Little Mermaid show!

Oct 18 BEACH DAY!

Oct 19 Animal kingdom in the AM, DW in the PM, plan on staying late that day

Oct 20 fly out and ??? depending on flight times

We plan on having later starts most days so we can enjoy breakfast and characters at GKTW each morning.

Are parks less busy at the ends of days or more busy then?

Also, does anyone know if the 50's diner does anyhing for Bdays? I've been there like 10 years ago, and was thinking that they might make a big deal for a new 7 year old.

Thanks!

Congratulations on getting your dates!!!!! Your family is just adorable. I will be following along. I think your schedule looks pretty reasonable, but maybe the GKTW veterans chime in. I think it will be awesome for your whole family to have some fun time after the year you have had. Btw, :thumbsup2 on the multi-quote. I still haven't figured that out !!!

Congratulations on getting your dates!!!!! Your family is just adorable. I will be following along. I think your schedule looks pretty reasonable, but maybe the GKTW veterans chime in. I think it will be awesome for your whole family to have some fun time after the year you have had. Btw, :thumbsup2 on the multi-quote. I still haven't figured that out !!!

Quoting I've got figured out....inserting a link into my signature? Not so much! I need to try to figure it out again. Together we'd get it all together!

I will be looking up your trip story too!

Quoting I've got figured out....inserting a link into my signature? Not so much! I need to try to figure it out again. Together we'd get it all together!

I will be looking up your trip story too!

Thanks! I wish I could help you on the link, but I had to have one of my teens do it:rotfl:

OK..I think I have links and such figured out....its not fancy....but it actually works....I think....

We had a busy day today, Gabbie had her every 4th week scheduled clinic visit today. That means a two hour drive for us one way. Things went well over all, her hemoglobin is hanging pretty low. If she avoids a transfusion and doesn't rise on its own in that time frame, they will study things closer. Right now her blood cells could still be under the influence of the last doner. Blood doners ROCK!! :cool1: Then we had van door issues on the way home that added and hour to the trip. BUT, we made it home to pick up kids from school. Whew. I had to get there, because of course, my phone quit working right after I got the van door looked at. Its just been that kind of day!

Anway....

Gabbie took all her 4th week pills tonight....9 pills, swallows like a champ. I put them in a bowl and she sits down and pops them in. Its amazing to watch.

We also got a letter from MAW today, she was choosen to participated in a fund raising campaigne for our state. She will get her pictures professionally taken, we get a disc copy of them, and then they can use her picture in displays and such. She thought that'd be pretty cool so we're going to go for it.

Things are nutty around here with it being the last week of school, I sure hope to get back to planning again soon. I already to decided to swap our MK day with our Epcot day. To risky to leave MK for the last day.

Disney dreams are a fabulous thing to have on long days like today!

Its been awhile since I've posted!

The kids and I are settlng into a new routine now that school is out. Gabbie was diagnosed the weekend before school started, and so, Gabbie and I are used to dealing with all things cancer during the day and being mostly rested and ready to play when the other kids get home. Now that they are home all the time, its been a lot different! Additionally, G is in a new phase of treatment so there are adjustments with that as well. We'll get it!

She has been battling a cold the past week with a nasty cough. Every cough makes me cringe a bit. So far though, no fever...hooray! A fever would take us to the hospital.

Disney dreams abound however more so now that school is out and my ticker says its less then 4 months away. I am determined toget caught up on some Thank you notes from all the helpers we've had in the past 10 months before I get into hard core planning. I'm getting there!

OK...time to roll some kids out of bed, kinderball awaits....looks like rain later...maybe I'll get those notes done

Kathy...I have FINALLY signed in to let you know I am here! I UNDERSTAND about having no time...especially to add in the planning. I have been dreaming so long that now that I need to actually do something I feel the time crunch! Your family is adorable and my girls were just checking out the great pics of YOUR family since I told them we would be at GKTW at the same time...we need some of you and DH too!

I have to check your plans vs our tentative plans, we are planing to make this a laid back time so that no one gets sick form the hustle and bustle. I want to spend as much time at GKTW as we can. It is going to be amazing!

Hugs to you as you figure out the new normal for the summer and this phase of treatment. Gabbie is a cutie pie, what a great smile. Thanks for letting me join in! :goodvibes:flower3::goodvibes

No worries! Its been crazy so far this month, can't hardly believe its July this week.

I finally got caught up enough around here to do some more actual planning. Feeling nervous about not getting some dinner reservations for a few places people want to really get too!

Gabbie had a rough week last week suffering from a bad cold. I though the cough was better on Thursday and she really wanted to get to physical therapy. She went and during her session, she was really struggling with her O2 levels. Nerve wracking! So, some calls with all the docs had us sitting tight at home Thursday night. We went into our local clinic in the am, and were happy to find her lungs clear, BUT her hemoglobin was 4.6! (normal is 12-15) She was severely anemic which explained the breathlessness. I had attributed her tiredness to not sleeping well, and fighthing this cough. She still got around and did many things. She is just amazing! She got a blood transfusion and she started to feel much better.

Sooo, today after doing a radio commercial to promote our local Relay For Life event, we are having fun doing some Disney planning.

I think I've changed things quite a bit from the first try at this once I looked up park opening times and such. We are not going to spend the extra money to go to the Not so scary Halloween party. It'd be close to 400 for us to all go, and we decided we'd rather spend vacation moneys elsewhere. BUT we all love firework shows so I think this plan will get us to the Sea World show, the Magic Kingdom show and the Epcot show.

At Give Kids the world, we can go to the Princess and Pirate party and Mayor Claytons Birthday party. I'm still very sad we will miss the Christmas party, but we fly out Thursday noon, so, it is what it is. No use dwelling :(

So, here is our plan:

Friday: Arrive about 2pm and orientate to GKTW, swim, P&P party, have fun!

Saturday: Animal Kingdom (turkey legs!) and Hollywood studios, dinner at Sci Fi Dine in, Birthday party at GKTW (colapse into bed ;) )

Sunday: Sea World

Monday: Magic Kingdom PRINCESS HUNT! Crystal Palace late lunch, Parades, fireworks

Tuesday: BEACH DAY (Siesta keys?)

Wednesday: Epcot Garden Grill for dinner

Thursday: Mickey Mouse meet and prepare to leave :(

So, thats that! Now I just need to fill in all the cracks!

Wednesday: Epcot

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter