magic kingdom before cruise

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by minniestheone, Jun 11, 2009.

1. minniestheone

minniestheone Mouseketeer

We are helping my niece plan her cruise honeymoon. It has been a few years since we were on a disney cruise. She wants to spend a day or two in magic kingdom before going on the ship. Can she still get the cruise buses to pick her up from her hotel and take her to the dock or does she have to do a land sea 7 day package?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. outahere

outahere DIS Veteran

She can purchase DCL transfers from WDW to the port without doing a Land/Sea package. They do not pick up from every hotel, but I don't have the list handy. If I recall correctly it is basically all of the deluxe resorts (except the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge) and Port Orleans and Caribbean Beach. They do not pick up at any of the value hotels. Regardless of where she is staying, as long as she can get to one of the pick up hotels, she can take the DCL bus to the port. She would need to purchase the transfers through DCL, ahead of time, so they can include the transfer tickets in her cruise documents.

4. ibouncetoo

ibouncetoo <font color=009999>I get excited by the little thi

No, you do not need to book a land/sea package to use the DCL busses. However they do pick up from only certain WDW resorts. You book the pick up with DCL ($35 per person one way).

The pick up resorts are:
    Grand Floridian
    Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Beach Club
    Polynesian
    Swan/Dolphin
    Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter
    Caribbean Beach

If they are staying at a differend WDW resort, they will need to transport themselves and their luggage to a pick up resort (which location they will prearrange with DCL when booking the bus).

5. MassDisLovers

MassDisLovers A dream is a wish your heart makes....

We are staying at Boardwalk the night before and I was told that there would be pick-up there. Was I given bad information or has something changed?

6. ibouncetoo

ibouncetoo <font color=009999>I get excited by the little thi

Not necessarily, the information I typed was from a DCL brochure that I've had for several years. The ones I listed are the actual resorts for the land/sea packages. They could have easily added more resorts for pick-up that I am not aware of.

If it was a travel agent who told you this, I would call DCL or the resort and verify however. If you got the info directly from DCL then I'm sure it is correct. PLUS, I'm sure a DISer who's done this more recently will post too. ;)

DCL will drop off people from the ship back to WDW at ANY resort, by the way.

7. Dianatlol

Dianatlol ºoº Disney World / Cruise Addict ºoº

We do 7 days at Disney World then hit the Cruise.. We stay at the Caribbean

8. macfinn

macfinn Chief planner and Dis Dad's Club Member #58

please remember that they can always do private transportation to the port from disney. This is what we have done in the past and it always works out great for less money.

9. fasttrakphil

fasttrakphil Mouseketeer

The DCL bus does pickup at the Boardwalk. So no worries............

10. RedSox68

RedSox68 DIS Veteran

Funny you should ask -- I just called them about this yesterday in trying to plan our pre and post WDW stays. Here is what the cruise rep told me:

They pick up from:
    All deluxe hotels except Contemporary.
    All moderate except Coronado Springs.
    And from Swan & Dolphin.

They do not pick up from any of the value resorts.

As far as returning, they will not take you back to all resorts. You have to check at the port with the CMs running the buses -- if there are not enough people going to a particular resort that is not one of their usual pick up resorts, then they will not take you there. I know for a fact they refused to take us back to Coronado Springs last time!

11. minniestheone

minniestheone Mouseketeer

Thanks so much!

I suggested private transportation but they want to be totally immersed in the Disney experience. We did it both ways and the bus video did add to the excitement!

We are going to post everything on the disney honeymoon registry site tomorrow!! Thanks again!:thumbsup2

12. RedSox68

RedSox68 DIS Veteran

We had thought about doing the bus this year as we are bringing a family friend who has never cruised and I know the bus would add that bit of Disney excitement -- until we found out when they pick up from Animal Kingdom Lodge where we are staying the night before. We just felt that the 1:30 p.m. pick up was just too late to leave for the ship for us since we also want to give her the chance to explore the port and terminal before boarding and still have a leisurely stroll to the buffet ;)

13. ppony

ppony Artist in residence DIS Lifetime Sponsor

This is what we thought too :) , until the Disney transport for the 4 of us brought us to within $80 of the cost of taking a limo out (round trip). I'd rather take a limo for the 4 of us than cram us all on the bus for a couple hundred. And with more than 4 people it's even a better value. :thumbsup2 Ours isn't a value as much as an experience. :wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard:

But whatever floats yer boat. :rotfl: The bus would be fun too. ;) I should mention too, hubby hates buses and I'm not fond of being around crowds. :guilty:

14. amystevekai&bump

amystevekai&bump DIS Veteran

And that will change again once BLT opens - as then they will pick up from there too!!:thumbsup2

15. GrumpyBelle

GrumpyBelle DIS Veteran

We did this 2 years ago. They will pick you up. They do not pick up from every resort and you do have to book this. It is easily done by calling DCL and adding it on. They can tell you which resorts they pick up from. If you are not staying at one of these resorts, you will have to transfer to one of them that morning. Again calling in this case is probably the easiest way to go.