Magic delayed again

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by rewhitingjr, Feb 5, 2013.

1. rewhitingjr

rewhitingjr Living the Disney Dream

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Gina

Gina Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99

It's really dense this morning... driving into work was fun. :sad2:

The fog has gotten us before on cruises -- I'm just hoping it gets it all out of its system now and we have clear skies next Friday!!!

4. sambycat

sambycat DIS Veteran

I'm thinking fog of this nature in may is highly unlikely :thumbsup2

5. jlemieu1

jlemieu1 DIS Veteran

FYI: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/whats-new/special-message/

Travel Advisory...Galveston Weather Delay

As of 9:00 a.m. Eastern Time on February 5, 2013

The port area in Galveston, Texas, is currently experiencing heavy fog and the channel between the terminal and the Gulf of Mexico has been closed to all inbound and outbound vessel traffic.

At this time, the Disney MagicĀ® is offshore waiting for the fog to clear and for the port to reopen. Once the port reopens, the onboard Guests will need to complete the debarkation process before boarding can begin for today's sailing.

As a result of this unexpected weather delay, we are asking guests to postpone their arrival to the terminal building by at least one (1) hour after your selected port arrival time. Due to the nature of any weather condition, it is possible that further delays may occur. We will continue to monitor the fog conditions closely and will be sending updates as needed.

For additional details and the most up-to-date information on this delay, Guests are invited to call 1-866-325-4243.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this unexpected weather delay and look forward to welcoming you onboard later today.

6. Gina

7. Gina

The Magic is finally pulling in right this minute. :)

8. rewhitingjr

rewhitingjr Living the Disney Dream

9. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

According to the travel advisory on the DCL website this morning the Magic was fogged out of port again last night. Expected disembark is not until afternoon. Arriving passengers asked to delay by two hours after PAT.

10. EPCOTatNight

EPCOTatNight I am the Polynesian Parking guy

Saw that on Facebook earlier. When we were on our way to Port Canaveral for our cruise in Jan., Galveston was fogged out. I hope we don't encounter this in May.

11. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

Yeah, I saw it a couple of hours ago and was pretty surprised it hadn't been posted here yet.

12. allears

allears "If I were not upon the sea..." I'd want to be!

Saw it on the cruise line web site. I do believe I would not cruise out of Galveston at this time of the year, assuming this is the foggy season!

13. lanejudy

lanejudy Moderator Moderator

14. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

15. erionm

erionm DIS Veteran

At 10:15 CT, DCL updated their posting on disneycruise.com to indicate at least a two hour delay:
    http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/whats-new/special-message/

16. Gina

Hopefully she isn't delayed too much in leaving later, because the fog is supposed to creep back in by mid-evening and struggle to life back out by late morning tomorrow. Fingers crossed that they're able to turn the ship over quickly, get everyone on, and get out!

17. ekatiel

ekatiel DIS Veteran

Just off the Magic :goodvibes. My DS prayed for fog last night, so we'd get a little extra time on her. I guess God decided to answer his prayer ;). We carried our own luggage off and were on the curb waiting for our ride at 11:40am this morning, so it really was only a few hours delay. It was long enough for us to watch Brave and have some more (family) time in the Oceaneer's Lab :thumbsup2. They told us that there were 2,087 Texans on this sailing, so there shouldn't have been too many people who had flight plans messed up. GREAT cruise. We're frequent cruisers, but this was our first time on DCL. We are definitely converts to DCL for family cruises. We booked another for the fall while we were on board :banana:! The cutest thing I saw this morning during the delay: Belle sitting in an alcove on Deck four reading a story to a group of about 10 little girls :goodvibes:goodvibes. --Katie

18. cutielulu593

cutielulu593 Earning My Ears

I visited Galveston once in February for a few days when I lived in TX and it got foggy at the same time every day. About 1 or 2 in the afternoon and was foggy into evening. It wasn't just a little fog. It was the densest fog I've ever experienced. It was strange.

Is that common for Galveston this time of year?

19. Aggiegrl

Aggiegrl DIS Veteran

....and one little boy. Well, at least for as long as a 3 year old boy's attention span could last. I'll post a picture when we get home. :)

I know those getting on probably aren't happy, but we are very happy with how the delay was handled on our side. We had family time in the club this morning, made bead bracelets in the lab, and got to see several characters again. We also ate lunch at Plutos dog house before getting off. Status announcements were informative but not frequent and annoying.

They didn't have to entertain us, but they did. This was also our first Disney cruise and they won us over too. We also booked for the fall on the Wonder!

We did not carry our luggage off and we were through customs by 12:15p.

20. Gina

Now I really hope they manage to get out of there okay... The NWS just issued another dense fog advisory for Galveston and coastal areas until 6pm, with "a good possibility" that the advisory will be extended tonight. It's definitely starting to look hazier...

http://www.galveston.com/cruisevideocam/

It's not every day, but it's not uncommon this time of year either. When it's unseasonably warm, like now (mid-70's and higher), the warm air blowing across the cool water is what causes the dense fog. I'm just praying that the forecasted cool front next week happens before we sail on Friday!!

21. ekatiel

ekatiel DIS Veteran

Here's the pic I have :). Is that you and your DS :)??
    [​IMG] My kiddos and hubby were in the Lab at the time, but I just had to take a pic of this b/c I thought it was so sweet. I thought they did a great job with the delay :thumbsup2. --Katie