Magic Circus - Double Booking - not happy!

cdsmiler81

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Apologies in advance, but I need to rant. I'm furious.

I booked a two night stay at the Magic Circus for Thurs May 21st - Saturday Saturday 23rd. I did it on my iPad, and during the booking process we lost connection, but the booking eventually seemed to go through. Straight after I received two confirmation emails but looking identical I didn't think anything more of it (not the first time I've had duplicate confirmation emails for hotel bookings!), until I checked my credit card and discovered that the money had been taken out twice!

I double checked eBookers today and yes, I have two identical bookings!! So I've been chatting with an agent on eBookers about it, and she could see the mistake, and told me not to worry that she will try to sort it. She noticed that the offer we booked was non-refundable so would have to contact the hotel to confirm that eBookers would be allowed to refund the money for the duplicate booking. She phoned them but they have refused!! She claims she even spoke to the manager, explaining that it was OBVIOUSLY a mistake (identical bookings made seconds apart!) but they still refused as the offer was a non-refundable one!!!!!

I'm furious. I have emailed the Magic Circus myself to explain the situation, that it was an honest mistake and obviously a technical glitch, and am so incredibly disappointed that they have point blank refused to refund the mistaken booking!! I'm waiting on a reply.

Depending on their reply (IF they reply!!) I WILL take this further. On a personal note, I could do without this being nearly 5 months pregnant - this was supposed to be a lovely little treat for DD before the baby came, but it's completely stressed me out! On a less personal note, surely they are being completely unreasonable and unprofessional??? I'm just so completely shocked.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?? Any advice on how to take this forward if they still respond in the negative or do not respond at all??

Help!! :(

C x

I don't recall who I used once but due to a strike of the airlines we could not fly in. The hotel just refused to refund, change, help in anyway. For some reason I think it was also magic.

Don't stress please and I am sure the company can refund your money or contact the credit card company. They can be helpful.

Yes, I have idea of contacting the credit card company on standby - I want to see if the Magic Circus sort it first - although I'm not holding up much hope at the moment!!!!

I'm ok, honestly. :) Just really angry at them!!

C x

I'm so sorry for you. Indeed, they are completely unreasonable in this. I can't give you any advice on taking this forward, but I suppose I would call them if they don't reply soon and ask for the manager. Good luck!

I really hope they see sense and refund you!! Unfortunately this isn't the first incident like this I've heard of with that hotel. *fingers crossed* that you get a positive response from the hotel.

Well I'll definitely be fighting this as far as I possibly can. Over here we have ombudsmen for a variety of things - can we refer to these for a hotel in France? Or would we have to go to a French equivalent? Do they HAVE an equivalent??

C x

Hey, I'd tell them that if they don't refund it you'll file a chargeback with your credit card provider (and do so). You're in your rights to do this if the purchase was over £100. If you do this and your bank refunds you it will cost them more in the long run as they have to pay a fee every time this happens. Any sensible company will refund you to avoid the hassle (though to be fair they don't seem like reasonable folks!). I'm so sorry you had such a frustrating experience.

Oh C I hope this works out ok.
I had to call my mams insurance company this morning because she bought two policies last night for her holiday to Spain. They saw it was a duplicate and refunded it no problem today. That's the kind of customer service that should be expected. As with you it was an honest mistake. Let us know if you get a response xx

Well I'll definitely be fighting this as far as I possibly can. Over here we have ombudsmen for a variety of things - can we refer to these for a hotel in France? Or would we have to go to a French equivalent? Do they HAVE an equivalent??

C x

Short answer no - if the hotel won't budge and that policy is written on their website or your booking that you validated you can't do anything on this end. There are organisations that exist but the process is very long, expensive as you'd need everything translated. The customer is rarely right here and the advantages that there are in England such as fit for purpose just don't exist.

If your CC company can do something go down that road, we don't even have that possibility here unless it was a fraudeleuse purchase over the net and then it's up to your bank how much you would be covered for.

I'd be expecting ebookers to refund you as they are the people who will be getting double commission for the sale but I bet it says in their t&c's that thye aren't responsable for any glitches and will shift the blame to the hotel

:(

Hi all, and thanks for the replies!

I have an update for you. After emailing the hotel yesterday, they replied around midday (but I was away from email all afternoon and didn't check until last night). This was their response:

"We are very sorry for the issue but unfortunately, we cannot cancel or modify your booking because the policy of the booking doesn’t allow that."

Ooooooo if they did..... well they had a massive ranty email from me - I managed to stay mostly polite but I think I made a point!! LOL thought you might like to read it.....

"I am sure you can see how incredibly unhelpful your response is. This was OBVIOUSLY a technical error that occurred while booking and says VERY little about your hotel's customer care. It is not as if I have made a booking and simply changed my mind - the duplicate booking was made in error, via the eBookers website, and your unwillingness to remove the duplicate booking is simply pathetic and childish. You can SEE it's a mistake. Why on earth would I book my family of 2 adults and one 5 year old into TWO rooms. It's madness. Any other company would be more than willing to assist a customer when there is an obvious mistake made - I am STILL staying with you, you still have my custom, but helping out would almost ensure that my family and I return. I am an annual pass holder for Disneyland Paris, and frequent visitor to the area, but you and your hotels inability to assist in such a simple way absolutely guarantees that I won't be returning to your hotel. As a frequent and active participant in a number of UK based Disneyland Paris fan forums (let alone the massive fan base I interact with on Twitter), I can assure you that they will all be aware of your terrible service regarding this.

I'm disgusted. A 'policy of the booking' does not physically prevent you from allowing a refund or indeed reselling that room. There are no excuses except for pure stubbornness.

Please pass this email to your manager, from whom I expect a response as soon as possible. If the response is not satisfactory, I WILL be taking in this further and higher. I have never before heard of a hotel ANYWHERE to react in the way the Magic Circus has! Any other hotel would make it a priority to look after their customers.

I look forward to your manager's quick response."

Well, this morning I received the following email response:

"I spoken with my manager and seen that is clear that is an error, we can accept the cancellation.
You should call the agency and tell them to call us because is the agency that has to refund you seen that you paid to them directly, we have only to accept the cancellation and we make an exception and we will accept it.
We will wait for the mail of the agency.
Kind regards"

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I've just gotten off the chat facility with eBookers (who have been very helpful, and I AM aware that it was kind of their app's fault really, but they were going to be more than happy to refund me - they could see the mistake!) and they have contacted the hotel again and have actioned the cancellation and refund!!!!

Thank you all for allowing me to rant about it on here and for your advice! The credit card company were definitely the next step, as were passing the blame on to eBookers (because it was their app!), but I'm glad I didn't have to go that far just because of some stubborn jobsworths at the hotel!! Phew.

:flower1::dogdance::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::dogdance::flower1:

C x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter