Magic 5-Night January 20, 2017

Punchie

Earning My Ears
Is anyone else going on this sailing? This will be my third Disney cruise, my husband's second, and the first one for the rest of his family - 13 of us in all! 7 adults, 5 kids (ages 10, 6, 5, 4, and 1). We'll be flying in from Buffalo and Minneapolis. My goal is to get everyone to participate in the FE exchange. I can't wait to sail!

Is anyone else going on this sailing? This will be my third Disney cruise, my husband's second, and the first one for the rest of his family - 13 of us in all! 7 adults, 5 kids (ages 10, 6, 5, 4, and 1). We'll be flying in from Buffalo and Minneapolis. My goal is to get everyone to participate in the FE exchange. I can't wait to sail!
You got it!

One note - currently there are no "Find your 2017......LINK here" threads.

Word is that "they're working on it". But, until then, for others to find your cruise meet thread, they will have to scroll through the threads here looking for it. A tip - until then, maybe post on your thread once a day or so, it will keep it up near the top of the threads.

Good news! The "Find your 2017.....LINK here" threads are up!

Just copy the URL at the top of this thread and make a request on the "Find your 2017 Magic Cruise Meet LINK here" thread to have it added to the list in the first post there. Be sure to paste the copied URL into the request post.

I just booked my family for this one, our first cruise, I think I would like to try the FE thing but not exactly sure what to do. I have 4 siblings with families and my parents going also. Not sure if they will want to do it. Sounds fun.

I am going on this cruise with some friends and there partners!! I am super excited to participating in the FE gift exchange!! This will be my first time participating!!

Hello everyone :) We just booked this cruise as well. Our party includes myself, DH, children who will be the following at the time of the cruise: DD(20), and DSs (11, 10, and 8). My mother, MIL and FIL are also cruising with us. We have participated in the FE gift exchange on both of our past cruises and cannot wait to do it again. This will be our first cruise on the Magic. We have been on the Dream and the Fantasy. I look forward to getting to know you all as we count down!

Julie

My goal is to get everyone to participate in the FE exchange.

I would like to try the FE thing but not exactly sure what to do

I'm interested in trying the FE exchange! I've sailed before, but never participated!

I am super excited to participating in the FE gift exchange!!

have participated in the FE gift exchange on both of our past cruises and cannot wait to do it again.

Just to get things started:

SETTING UP A FE GROUP
It appears there are a number of you who are interested in a Fish Extender group. There isn’t one currently set up here on DISBoards. Here’s a little write up on how FE groups are set up:

There really are no “rules” as to how a FE program runs. Basically someone maintains the list of those who wish to participate. The group can decide on what information is necessary to produce FE gifts. A basic list may only have DISname/room number/number of people in the room. A more involved list could be first & last names/ages/room number/ favorite character/ favorite color/allergies/whatever is deemed necessary to know in order to create the gifts. Also a decision can be made as to size of FE group. Some groups break out the list(s) at 10-15 rooms max, so that there are multiple lists (and some people will participate in more than one list). Other groups just make one big list (upwards of 20-30 rooms).

The easiest, most private way to handle the information necessary to prepare the list (many people prefer not to put sensitive information on a public forum), is to use the “Conversation” feature here. There needs to be at least two people to start a conversation. Only the starter of the conversation (usually the organizer) can add additional people into the conversation (as long as they do NOT select “Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others” at the bottom of the reply window). Then when new people express a desire to join, usually by just saying “we want to join the FE”, the organizer can add them by clicking on the “Invite more” button in the “Conversation Participants” window (lower right of conversation page). Only those people participating in the conversation can see what’s posted there, and respond there. I will also note, to participate in conversations, everyone needs to have at least 10 posts. For those who wish to use this option for private conversations that don’t have 10 posts yet, head over to the Test Board to post and up your post count. http://www.disboards.com/forums/test-board.88/

Up to 20 people can participate in any given conversation.

At some point the list will “close”. Typically this happens 30-45 days out from the cruise, so that everyone participating has time to organize/prepare their gifts. Shortly before this time (about 2-3 weeks prior) the organizer will post the list, either directly on the Cruise Meet thread, OR via private conversation, or, possibility, via e-mails. This is to confirm everyone on the list is still participating. It’s important to make a statement about “anyone not confirming by XX date will be dropped” at this time. A little harsh, yes, but often there are people who will post on the cruise meet thread as soon as they reserve the cruise and say “I want to participate”, and are never heard from again.

Once the list closes, the organizer will post the final list. Also, a decision must be made as to whether to allow late additions. Sometimes there is a “pixie dust” list. That is, basically, a latecomers list that gets posted about a week out from the cruise that others may or may not add to their “final” list. Be sure the “pixie dust” list participants realize they may or may not get gifts from others, but are expected to provide gifts for the other FE participants anyway.

The other “biggie” is no other social media sites are allowed to be linked or search directions posted as to how to find that other site here on DISboards. Please read this: http://www.disboards.com/threads/im...uise-meet-and-fish-extender-programs.3353477/

As it seems there are a few here on your cruise meet thread who would be interested in doing this, who’s going to step up and volunteer to maintain the list?

Hello everyone :) We now have added to our group. My MIL has her 3 sisters joining us. My sister, her friend and my nephew will be joining us as well. My MIL and her family will not participate in the FE but my family, my mother and my sister's family will! Already putting our lists together for the gifts :yo-yo:

My MIL and her family will not participate in the FE but my family, my mother and my sister's family will! Already putting our lists together for the gifts
It's not clear whether there's a Fish Extender group set up on DISBoards for this cruise. There may be FE groups on other sites, but they are not DISboards connected, and links or search directions to those groups are not allowed here.

Until someone here steps up and says "I'll maintain the FE list", there's no FE group here.

I am. With my boyfriend and son. This will be my second cruise!! Can't wait.

How does it work? I want to participate
Quick course in Fish Extenders:

HOW DID THIS FISH EXTENDER IDEA GET STARTED?
The idea was the brainstorm of a woman named Debbie For the first Magical sailing through the Panama Canal back in 2005. Debbie thought it would be a fun way for others to exchange gifts.

WHAT IS A FISH EXTENDER? (FE)
Outside your room onboard is a message holder, in most cases it's shaped like a fish
wonder oct  2012 fish holder 1408 100_7536.JPG
The fish is there for Disney to place important communications to you such as excursion tickets and notes from the Cruise staff. It is like a mailbox for your room. A Fish Extender (FE) it is something that you hang off the fish. By hanging the Fish Extender off of the fish, the Cast Members can still use it for its original purpose.THIS IS NOT A ONE ON ONE EXCHANGE, YOU ARE PART OF A GROUP. All the people in the exchange buy or make little items and place them in each other's fish extenders. It is great fun to come back and check the items you have received.

Once a cruise meet thread is up and running, someone in the group will (should?) step up and say "I'll maintain the Fish Extender exchange list". That person is the center point for all those who want to participate in the exchange. The list can be as simple as DISnames/room number/number of guests or as involved as full names/room number/ages of guests/like & dislikes/allergies/favorite characters/whatever is deemed necessary to know assemble the gifts.

Then each room on the FE list (note this will not be everyone on the Cruise Meet thread for your specific cruise), makes a Fish Extender holder. This is basically an organizer-type hanging bag with separate pockets for each person in the room
wonder oct 2011 2554 magnets 256 100_3589 1500.jpg

The most common Fish Extenders are ones that have a pocket for each person in that stateroom. Some are very fancy, some are very plain. Some are store bought, some are homemade. Search "Disney fish extender" and you will get options that range in price. You should make sure your Fish Extender is between 8" & 12"" wide. Otherwise it starts to get in the way of your stateroom door. It should not exceed 5 feet; otherwise it will hit the floor. If you are creating your own it is suggested you make the pockets a little deeper than normal too. It will keep items from falling out and keep curious hands from reaching in (average depth is 5-6 inches)but 8-11 is a better way to go if you are making it yourself

They also make up gifts (either individual gifts or room gifts - whatever is decided by your group) to be delivered during the cruise).

One note about the gifts, some groups set up specific delivery dates, and specify "each person gets a gift" or "only one gift per room" or (even) maximum/minimum price ranges for gifts. Other groups just say "whatever", so people can choose what/how many gifts to give. Some give individual gifts, others only one gift per room, while others might do one for the adults and separate gifts for kids. Or only gift the kids.

WHO CAN JOIN?
Anyone and everyone! Even if your stateroom is 2 adults, you can join and have just as much fun! The only rule I would say is to HAVE FUN!! It's not about the gift it's about the thoughtfulness behind it.

HOW MANY CABINS WILL BE IN MY FE GROUP and WHO PARTICIPATES???
DO I HAVE TO BUY FOR EVERYONE? DO I NEED TO GIVE PER CABIN?

Sort of…You have to do something for EVERY CABIN PARTICIPATING, You choose whether its adult gifts or kids gifts or cabin gifts or a combination.YOU CAN NOT LEAVE A CABIN OUT IF THEY HAVE SIGNED UP. At the very least, 1 cabin gift, per cabin. Some do a cabin gift, and then do a few items for the kids. Some do individual for each member of the cabin. Some people are crafty and make gifts, and some are store bought. Some gifts are to be used on board and some are to be used at home.

How many rooms you give to depends on your cruise meet group. They range in average from 10-15 sometimes even 25 and up. Most do the smaller groups with the option to join more than one. It makes it more manageable.

This is typically a whole cabin event. You usually may not just sign up the kids. There are some cruise meet groups that have Adult Only groups. But not Kids only. Some groups say “every room gets/gives gifts” (even if two rooms are really just one family). Others say that rooms that are a nuclear family can give together. While other groups say: If you are signing up more than one cabin to participate, you should not combine them. It’s not fair for people to make items for 2 cabins and receive from 1 of them. They should be counted as 2 separate cabins. It’s up to each Fish Extender group/organizer to decide on the “rules”.

WHEN LEAVING A GIFT, DO WE IDENTIFY WHO IT IS FROM?
Some people do put some kind of to/from tag on their items. Most want to know who it came from. Some do it because they don't want people to think they got shorted a gift or assumed theft of an item. Others go with the original intent and deliver anonymous gifts.

DO WE PUT GIFTS IN EVERY DAY OF THE CRUISE? WILL I HAVE TO WALK ALL OVER THE SHIP TO DELIVER?
That's up to you. Most deliver ONCE. Most do one gift, some do multiple gifts.You don’t want to spend your whole cruise delivering gifts. It can be time consuming. Most deliver over the whole length of the cruise. One morning you do all the cabins on decks 4-6 that are Forward. Another time you do all the mid cabins on decks 1-4. And so on. It’s suggested you break up your list by location: Forward, Mid and Aft before leaving home. Large zip locks are good for this. Start from your highest deck and work your way to your lowest.

*If you are on a longer cruise, consider delivering later in the week. Most deliver in the beginning and then there is nothing towards the end (and the kids like to find stuff in the holder).You don’t have to deliver all on the first day, especially on the longer cruises. On the reverse – don’t deliver the last night, as people will be packing up and putting their bags out for pick up.

Don’t deliver in the middle of the night, when no one is around, or when people are off the ship when sticky fingers are more likely.

I’M IN A CONCIERGE SUITE, HAVE A GTY RESERVATION OR SOMEONE IN MY FE GROUP IS. WOULD THERE BE A PROBLEM BEING PART OF THE FE?
No, there are fish message holders outside all rooms on board. Once a GTY reservation has a room assigned, it can be reported to the group.

MY GIFTS ARE TO BIG TO FIT IN THE POCKET, WHAT DO YOU DO WITH IT?
1. You can lean it against the door
2. You can hang on door knob
3. You can leave it at guest services, marked for each stateroom and then notify each stateroom to go pick up.
4. You could try to ask the stateroom host out in the hallway to place it inside the cabin.
5. You can just hang it on the "fish.

DO PEOPLE CARRY ALL THEIR GIFTS IN THEIR SUITCASES?
Most do, however, you can ship your items down. They must arrive by the day before you sail and contain no food items (they will get snagged by the dogs and get held up). Make sure your package is addressed exactly how your name is in your reservation and it will be in your stateroom when you get there (even before your luggage!). You can also send to your hotel if you are staying at one before you sail. KEEP IN MIND... you can not ship home from the ships.

I HAVE TO DROP OUT.. HOW DO I DO THAT.
It’s very important that if you have to drop out for any reason you notify the person running your FE. (They can be found on the cruise page you signed up on)

It’s important so that others who are participating don’t count you in, when you won’t be there. Everyone’s time is valuable. It’s courteous to let someone know.People put a lot of time and effort into FE gifts, and are expecting something in return. It’s not fair to the group if you bow out without letting anyone know

ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO KNOW?

It has been pointed out that some Travel Agents are giving wrong info. They are saying you can hang a FE holder outside your door and expect gifts.

• Cast members are not walking around like Tinkerbelle handing out gifts.
  • You cannot just show up on a cruise with gifts to randomly pass out (well you could but that would be “pixie dusting” not participating in a FE).
  • You have to find your Cruise Meet group and join a FE group to know how many people are participating, how large your group will be and all other info.
  • This is a voluntary program and is not sanctioned by Disney.

I will also mention, that it's a bit early for setting up a Fish Extender group. Typically 6-8 months out is a good time to start. Before that you get a lot of people who, when the excitement of booking the cruise is fresh, who say "I want to join" and then they cancel, or decide that they aren't really interested, and you never hear from them again. Around 6 months out, most people have made the mental commitment to the cruise and are able to participate.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I'm Kayla, Juliel0616's DD. I ran our FE Exchange on our last cruise, and if you'd like I can run it this time. I can start up a list that has everyone who wants to participate in. If this is ok with you guys, I have started up a conversation, and if you want to participate, post here and I will add you to the conversation.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I'm Kayla, Juliel0616's DD. I ran our FE Exchange on our last cruise, and if you'd like I can run it this time. I can start up a list that has everyone who wants to participate in. If this is ok with you guys, I have started up a conversation, and if you want to participate, post here and I will add you to the conversation.
I want to Be added to the list as well as my son and boyfriend

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter