MAC tech question

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by chirurgeon, Jun 14, 2012.

1. chirurgeon

chirurgeon I am a delicate flower and need my sleep.

My MacBook is 4 years old. How hard would it be for me to add ram and replace the hard drive myself? I am fairly competent at putting things together.

Kim

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. k5jmh

k5jmh When Yuba plays the Rumba on his Tuba...

4. cslittle999

cslittle999 DIS Veteran

Replacing both are really straight forward to do. Getting the files from the original drive on to the new one can be a tricky.

If the current hard drive is working then I suggest you get an external USB hard drive enclosure for it. They are usually available for less than $20. This would allow you to boot from the old drive, connected via USB, and restore everything with a program like Carbon Copy Cloner. If you are already backing your computer up with Time Machine to an existing external drive then that's even easier.

5. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

If you can do some fairly simple things like dealing with very small screws and being gentile with the parts, its certainly do-able. I've upgraded several MBP's for both memory and hard drives over the years, including the one I'm currently typing on. I buy my stuff from OWC Computer and they have a good section with step-by-step instructions.

6. tjevans

tjevans DIS Veteran

I replaced mine using the guide at ifixit.com. Pretty easy.

The hard part is keeping up with the little screws.