Lymph node....MONO?

Disneylover 2

I'm DISappearing!!!!!!
Hi. I have an enlarged lymph node on the right side of my neck. Well, it's been there since the beginning of November, 2007. What could it be? So my mom to me too my pediatric and he examined it. It measure around 1.5 inches. He did a TB test right there. and then send me to do some blood work, ruling out other things like the common cold, flu, cancer, Mono.....

So the results were that EBV was just ONE point above its normal range. So they put a flag. So the dr. diagnosed me with mon? But how? I haven't kissed anyone, I haven't shared any drinks with other people?

And it's still there?????:confused3

How long is an enlarged lymph node supposed to last? I'm not that alarmed, I just want to get the worry out of my head. They haven't done a biopsy yet...he doesn't think much of it.....

ok.....not to scare you, but did they palpitate your thyroid?? I would, if it does not go away, have a needle biopsy done if they can do it.

The only reason I say this is that this happened to someone in my family.... everyone sort of made no big deal other than me.....we followed up on it and it turned out to be thyroid issues that moved into her lymph node....

If you want to pm me for further information, I would be happy to share with you..

Well, he touched near my clavicle bone... My cousin, 12 years, has thyriod issues and she had surgery. But I think when they took blood samples, they checked my thyroid and t was okay... I think they did.:confused3

I pm'd you.. not to frighten you, but to tell you the circumstances for my family member.

Ironically, my son is dealing with an enlarged lymph node on the right side near of his neck near his spine. His showed up around October 07 and his doctor has been watching it because he expected it to go away but it hasn't. He just finally sent us to the surgeon. I asked if they could do blood work or a biopsy and was told no it needs to be removed. I worried about lymphoma but was told the odds are very unlikely that it is. So we have an appointment for next month to have it removed. I was told by the surgeon's nurse that there is a possiblity that it could also be a fatty tumor as well but they won't know till they remove it. I am more nervous about the surgery than that it is anything serious. Keep in touch and let me know what you find out about yours.

Hmmm... I have had enlarged lymph nodes under my arms since late Sept 07 I have had 3 ultrasounds and they have all showed the same results, meaning they are the same size not any larger. They are sometimes achy but no where near as bad as they initially were. I just saw my hematologist earlier this month and she wants to wait and repeat the ultrasound again in 6 months. Now, I am wondering if I should I wait that long. My initial blood work and chest xray came back fine with the exception of my sed rate being a little higher than normal. It also showed that I at sometime, had had mono. I still feel tired, but I always think that is from worrying about my ds with leukemia and life in general. Like I said hmmmm.... what do you all think? Patty

Ironically, my son is dealing with an enlarged lymph node on the right side near of his neck near his spine. His showed up around October 07 and his doctor has been watching it because he expected it to go away but it hasn't. He just finally sent us to the surgeon. I asked if they could do blood work or a biopsy and was told no it needs to be removed. I worried about lymphoma but was told the odds are very unlikely that it is. So we have an appointment for next month to have it removed. I was told by the surgeon's nurse that there is a possiblity that it could also be a fatty tumor as well but they won't know till they remove it. I am more nervous about the surgery than that it is anything serious. Keep in touch and let me know what you find out about yours.

Thanks for responding...all of you. Well, everytime I visit the doctor, he checks it but says nothing. I had pneumonia recently, so maybe that's why it's sttill there...:confused3 :confused3 As you said, it could be a fatty tumor, benign tumor..... But odds are unlikely it would be cancer: lymphoma, as you said.

But my doctor isn't that serious. Hed doesn't want to do anything with it, not even a biopsy.

Hmmm... I have had enlarged lymph nodes under my arms since late Sept 07 I have had 3 ultrasounds and they have all showed the same results, meaning they are the same size not any larger. They are sometimes achy but no where near as bad as they initially were. I just saw my hematologist earlier this month and she wants to wait and repeat the ultrasound again in 6 months. Now, I am wondering if I should I wait that long. My initial blood work and chest xray came back fine with the exception of my sed rate being a little higher than normal. It also showed that I at sometime, had had mono. I still feel tired, but I always think that is from worrying about my ds with leukemia and life in general. Like I said hmmmm.... what do you all think? Patty

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it if your doctor isn't worried. Our surgeon actually gave us the choice to wait longer or remove after making sure to let us know that the odds of it being anything serious are very slim but there are no 100% guarantees. They are more worried if it gets extremely large and/or red and hurts. It may be that my doctor doesn't want to be bothered with an ultrasound and/or biopsy and they just figure taking it out is less expensive in the long run. Who knows I live in the middle of nowhere so who knows how they think differently here than in a bigger city, kwim.

I am sad to hear about your ds and I know I would be exhausted with worry as well. I am just glad to hear that you seem to be taking care of yourself as well as your son.

HTH, Angela

How large is your son's lymph node? When are they going to do the surgery?

DS lymph node is about the size of a nickle round but is not sore, swollen, or red which is what would really concern the doctors. What had them concerned is that he has not been sick at all. Our doctor said it is natural for your lymph nodes to swell when we are sick. At first he though maybe DS would get sick after we initially found the swollen node but that never happened. His surgery is set for April 21st because he is off school that day so he won't have to miss. The doctor wasn't in a rush or anything but left it up to us when we would want to get it done.

I would let you mother know just because you need someone to lean on when things are not right. You can then also bounce your concerns off her since she knows you best. I would think your doctors are not concerned because you have been sick but I am not a doctor.

HTH

DS lymph node is about the size of a nickle round but is not sore, swollen, or red which is what would really concern the doctors. What had them concerned is that he has not been sick at all. Our doctor said it is natural for your lymph nodes to swell when we are sick. At first he though maybe DS would get sick after we initially found the swollen node but that never happened. His surgery is set for April 21st because he is off school that day so he won't have to miss. The doctor wasn't in a rush or anything but left it up to us when we would want to get it done.

I would let you mother know just because you need someone to lean on when things are not right. You can then also bounce your concerns off her since she knows you best. I would think your doctors are not concerned because you have been sick but I am not a doctor.

HTH

The size of my lymph node is like a quarter. It is also not red, neither sore. The lymph node enlarged the beginning of November, as I said. The last I had gotten sick was the beginning of October. But by the time it enlarged it was too late to be caused by that. What do you think?
Do you think it could be that? Then, I got sick again in late December but the cold was quick, like 1 or 2 days it lasted. Then, I got pneumonia in February, Which you know already. Do you think it hasn't went away because of that? It has stayed almost the same size. When he first mesured it, it was 1.5 inches. About two months later, it was 1 inch......but now it got bigger?:confused3

The size of my lymph node is like a quarter. It is also not red, neither sore. The lymph node enlarged the beginning of November, as I said. The last I had gotten sick was the beginning of October. But by the time it enlarged it was too late to be caused by that. What do you think?
Do you think it could be that? Then, I got sick again in late December but the cold was quick, like 1 or 2 days it lasted. Then, I got pneumonia in February, Which you know already. Do you think it hasn't went away because of that? It has stayed almost the same size. When he first mesured it, it was 1.5 inches. About two months later, it was 1 inch......but now it got bigger?:confused3

To be honest I am not a doctor so I can not answer those questions for you, I wish I could. I only know what we were told about my son's issue which is different from yours. It sounds like you are scared of it being more serious. From what you have writen I believe you know what would make you feel better. First, call you mother so you have someone close to you to talk to about it and second, call your doctor and tell him/her your concerns and write down the questions you have asked here and get an experts opinion so you will feel completely comfortable in what and why. I am sure even talking to your doctors nurse might help you feel less fearful. Let us know what happens until then you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

To be honest I am not a doctor so I can not answer those questions for you, I wish I could. I only know what we were told about my son's issue which is different from yours. It sounds like you are scared of it being more serious. From what you have writen I believe you know what would make you feel better. First, call you mother so you have someone close to you to talk to about it and second, call your doctor and tell him/her your concerns and write down the questions you have asked here and get an experts opinion so you will feel completely comfortable in what and why. I am sure even talking to your doctors nurse might help you feel less fearful. Let us know what happens until then you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Thnaks so much for your support and help.:hug: But when I tell my mom, she always says: "leave it... it will go away eventually, or: I don't want to go to the doctor again...." You will also be on my thoughts and prayers. Hope your DS will be ok during surgery. Please tell us what happens with him...:hug:

I still think you would feel better calling the doctor and at least speaking with his nurse to get your questions answered. I do feel that if you doctor is saying not to worry that you shouldn't but I also understand why you are worried. I will let you know how things go.

Disneylover2, I have been going back and forth about what to say to you. I don't know how old you are, and I feel I should be talking to your mother instead. Is it hard? Like a peanut is under your skin? Or is it kind of soft? Like it might be fatty tissue. Regardless, please, please, please, go get this checked out. Keep going to doctors until you find one that will remove it. If your mom won't take you, tell her you want a doctor's appointment for your birthday, Christmas, or whatever other gift giving occassion may be coming up. That'll let her know how serious you are.

Hopefully, it will turn out to be nothing, and more than likely it is, but at least you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Disneylover2, I have been going back and forth about what to say to you. I don't know how old you are, and I feel I should be talking to your mother instead. However, please, please, please, go get this checked out. Keep going to doctors until you find one that will remove it. If your mom won't take you, tell her you want a doctor's appointment for your birthday, Christmas, or whatever other gift giving occassion may be coming up. That'll let her know how serious you are.

Hopefully, it will turn out to be nothing, and more than likely it is, but at least you won't have to worry about it anymore.

MiniGirl, thank you for your concern. I am 12 years old(female), going to be 13 on May 25. Maybe I should wait one more month, eventhough you told me to go get this checked out right away.It got smaller overnight! Wow! Now it's the sze of a nickle! Hope it stays that way and then go away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter