Lunch on Embarkation Day

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by coolauntangie, Jun 18, 2012.

1. coolauntangie

coolauntangie Earning My Ears

I have read a lot of trip reports about getting on the ship the first day and having lunch right away. Which restaurant would you recommend for the Dream that first time, Enchanted Garden or Cabanas and is there a reason? Just wondering!:rolleyes1

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. bmer1rick

bmer1rick DIS Veteran

Really depends on what you like. Both are buffets. Enchanted Garden has a wait staff for the drinks and more like a MDR experience. Cabanas is a true buffet with a larger selection and a little more crowded. You will need to get your own drinks, but you are right there to go into the pools/Aquaduck when finished.

We have found the CMs try to direct you to Cabanas, but if you would rather go to Enchanted Garden, just let them know

4. huffjoann

huffjoann DIS Veteran

we enjoyed EG, actually CMs were directing us there, LOL. last month was our 1st DCL experience on Dream and having lunch in EG right off the bat was AMAZING! it wasn't very crowded and so elegant.

5. Toria

Toria It all started with a mouse

We did Cabanas, that is the most talked restaurant on embarkation day. We will probably try EG next time to have that experience.

6. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

We usually go to the MDR on embarkation day, no matter which DCL ship we are on. We prefer that because they have all the same food, but in an air conditioned setting with convenient, guaranteed seating and waiters to bring you beverages.

7. Minnie Monellen

Minnie Monellen DIS Veteran

I would go to Cabanas. Great atmosphere and view. The waiters come around to the tables with the drink of the day. A festive way to start your cruise. Having been on both the Magic and Dream, Enchanted Garden is my least favorite MDR.

8. sarbah77

sarbah77 DIS Veteran

We were sent to EG because our group had no carry-on luggage. Or that was the reason they gave us. It's pretty tight in there, space-wise, so I can see how they'd sort people like that!

9. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Don't worry about where they "send" you. The CM will suggest, but you can go where you wish.

We enjoy relaxing and having our beverages served to us, so we choose the MDR regardless of the ship. We have done the pool deck, but it seems like a lot more hassle, noise, etc. Cabanas is better than the classic ships as there is more seating and the set up works better.

10. coolauntangie

coolauntangie Earning My Ears

Thanks I have been reading posts and it doesn't sound like a difference in the menu just the venue. Thanks!

11. Castillo Mom

Castillo Mom DIS Veteran

We were directed to EG. We enjoyed the food and atmosphere and would probably go there again since it was much less crowded than Cabanas.

12. bmer1rick

bmer1rick DIS Veteran

Actually Cabanas has a bigger selection than the EG. So if you are interested in more variety, I would head to Cabanas.

13. tweis

tweis DIS Veteran

We just got back from a 5 night cruise on the Dream and we were directed to Cabana's but from reading the disboards I knew that EG was open as well. We asked about EG and were given directions. We were traveling with kids and this was much more relaxing and less hectic than trying to keep up with everyone and carry drinks in Cabana's. EG does have a smaller buffet than Cabana's but what they had was quite good. My kids were just kind of picking at what they had chosen and our server noticed and asked them if they would like to order something from the kid's menu even though it was a buffet lunch. :goodvibes

14. SCMouseFans

SCMouseFans Earning My Ears

Service like this is why we love DCL! :)

15. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

On the Magic and Wonder, the food is the same in both the pool deck and Parrot Cay, but the pool deck gives you access to the fast food places too. On the Dream and Fantasy, Cabanas has a bigger selection of food, but there is way more than enough in Enchanted Garden. The only thing we didn't see on the Fantasy was the separate buffet table of "kid food" that they have onn the Magic.

And note--while servers come around with the "drink of the day" on the pool deck, there is a charge for that drink whether it is ordered as virgin or with alcohol.

16. tweis

tweis DIS Veteran

We didn't see any "kid food" either so our children selected items from the buffet and tried them. They were picking at them when our server came by and offered them items from the children's menu. They were much happier with corn dogs than with lamb chops. :laughing:

17. pixie*duster

pixie*duster Mouseketeer

What about Luigi's or Flo's on the Dream? We're they open?

18. MTmomma

MTmomma DIS Veteran

We chose Cabanas on our first cruise, simply because we did have a party of five, and a bit of carry ons. For us it worked well, because there were no truely small children to keep track of. If I had small children, then I would probably choose EG as well, simply to reduce the number of things to keep track of at once. I do agree with a PP about EG not being my favorite. It just seems so "meh" for us. We wound up with the RAEE rotation on the 4 night Dream, and if we got that particular rotation again, I would most likely request a change. We literally wound up in EG far too many times, for breakfast, and dinner, for our own tastes.

19. belle41379

belle41379 Disney is my happy place.

We have done both in the past. I think we will do EG this time on the Fantasy since we will have little ones with us.

Does anyone remember what was on the buffet at either Cabannas or EG? I'd like to see what Cabannas has that EG doesn't. Might change our plan. :)

20. WDWJonasGirl

WDWJonasGirl Mouseketeer/Directioner

I have never been on the new ships. However, we normally eat at Parrot Cay since that is less crowded.

21. Zandy595

Zandy595 DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>The other day I f

Flo's Café is comprised of Tow-Mater's Grill, Luigi's Pizza and Fillmore's Favorites. They are all open on embarkation day for lunch.

We went to Cabanas because I wanted to be able to run over to Tow-Mater's to get chicken fingers, if Cabanas didn't have them. They were only on one side of the buffet, but they were there. It ended up being a great choice. It wasn't crowded at all and seemed very easy to go back up and get food. Later in the cruise when we ate dinner at EG, I noticed that the tables were VERY close together and it would have been much more difficult to weave around them to make another trip to the buffet. You also have the choice of eating outside at Cabanas. We ended up liking it so much, that we ate breakfast and lunch there every day of our cruise.