Luggage weight limits on Delta?

MycatlovesEeyore

Two WDW fanatics are now a family of 4 with a litt
When we travelled on Delta last week we had a rude discovery that the weight limit per bag had dropped to fifty pounds from seventy pounds. We had carried a large suitcase as we were travelling with a seven month old infant and did not want to bother with a number of smaller bags along with a stroller. It cost us an extra $25 on the flight down. Coming home both of our bags were over fifty pounds. We ended up buying a box for $10 to transfer some of our belongings into (nothing like transferring your underwear into a box at the checkin counter of MCO) Then the handle tears off the box before we can hand it to the feds. What a debacle.

DW and I are thinking about looking for new luggage as our large suitcase seems to now be obsolete due to its size.

Now I hear that the limits have gone back up to 70 pounds per bag. Has anyone heard if this is indeed the case?

Deltas website says it's still 50 pounds. Even if it goes back up it can be reduced later. Go for smaller luggage. It fits in the trunk better.

Depends on the airline. Delta is still 50 pounds, to the best of my knowledge, but Southwest is 70 pounds.

Peggy

Most airlines have reduced to 50 pounds (both Delta and United for sure). I had read this many months ago and traveled last week. Since I knew about this, I knew not to bring my big suitcase. Yes I will miss packing everything in one. We had to check 2 bags EACH since we were going for over a week. It was a pain. I found myself packing and weighing my bags before we left so that we wouldn't be hit with this new fee. We also had to carry a bag on (which is 40 pound limit now).

In the same boat with you, we need to retire are big cases and replace them with a few smaller bags. Sorry you had to learn the hard way

Why do airlines reduce luggage weight allowence?

I've heard two very different reasons:
1. Americans tend to weigh more now and so airlines must compensate by reducing luggage weight.
2. Baggage handler unions have complained that the bags are too heavy and have been causing injuries to the handlers.

Does anyone know the real reason?

If you think that you are over the 50 lbs or pretty darn close to it, you can always just check your luggage curbside with the help of the skycaps. You don't have to wait in any lines and they did not weigh my luggage before taking it. I am definite that I was over the 50 lb limit on my Delta flight coming home, but checked my luggage this way and did not hear anything about it. Usually if you are close, they will let you slide a little. Last year my luggage was over the 72 lb limit by 2-3 lbs and they let it on anyways and I did not have to pay anything extra...

Less baggage lbs , more room for freight (mail etc).

The less the plane weights the less fuel is required for the flight, this is a big cost in running an airline.

I think the reason is all of the above. I read the heavy bags were causing workmans comp issues. Reducing the maximum also gives more room for freight and gives them extra revenue (people paying for going over).

The only problem with using the skycap to get around the weight limit is (A) the skycap could decide to charge you (technically they are suppose to) or (B) you might not be able to use skycap check in. Let's say you live in Boston and spent the Febuary school break in Orlando and the BLIZZARD hits, you have to go inside to rebook. Same thing if the plane has mechanical difficulities or anything else causes a travel upset. Then you will be at the counter with your 70 lb bag!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter