1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Lower carb/No sugar

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by RNBelle, Nov 11, 2011.

1. RNBelle

RNBelle Mouseketeer

I am pregnant and on a controlled carb/no sugar. We are going to Disney in 4 weeks, on the DxDP and had booked all ADRs months ago. We have lots of character breakfast so I know that will be easy- eggs, meat and berries or melon. I was concerned about snack credits and the flexibility of trading sides (potatoes for veggies) or getting low sugar, or cheese/fruit plates for desserts. Anyone have any ideas?

I saw casey's had chili as a snack!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. GenevieveRaqs

GenevieveRaqs DIS Veteran

I recently asked a similar question. I am diabetic and keep a VERY strict eye on my carb intake. Hubby and I were at WDW earlier this year, but only for two days and the only meals we ate in the park were at table service restaurants. Note on your ADRs that you need low-carb options, and they should be very accommodating with sides, etc. Not so sure about the desserts...we just ordered one from the regular menu so I could have a bite and hubby could eat the rest. :goodvibes Some places do have "sugar free" desserts like brownies, but my general experience is that those kinds of things are often higher in carbs than their sugar-sweetened counterparts.

We're planning a big trip for next year and considering the dining plan...and unfortunately, from what information I've gathered, you're pretty much screwed on snacks. :( Nearly EVERY snack in the World is sugary or otherwise high carb. IF we do the dining plan, I will probably pack in my own protein-based snacks and leave the credits to my hubby and son (and sneak a few bites of their stuff here and there!).

4. dzorn

dzorn DIS Addict

Chili is high in carbs, so are berries and melon. Some veggies are can have quite a bit of carbs. I was an insulin depended diabetic during pregancy. I would not do deluxe dining. No way could I have kept my sugar under control eating that much. My doctor did not want me using sugar substitutes.

If you have not gotten a diet from a dietician. Make an appointment. You do need sugar but in controlled portions, spread evenly throught the day.

Denise in MI

5. RNBelle

RNBelle Mouseketeer

Bump!

6. jrsmom

jrsmom DIS Veteran

I am type 2 that keeps pretty good control of my numbers. While chili, and berries do have a good amount of carbs, they are good carbs. That is if the chili has beans in it! They break down slower to help lessen sugar spikes. I will tell you that with all of the walking that you will be doing will really help to keep your numbers in check.

There is a huge difference between good and bad carbs. I am not sure if I could do the deluxe plan. We usually do the basic dining plan with no problems.

7. PatsMom

PatsMom <font color=blue>Sometimes has Dory moments!<br><f

I am also diabetic and watch my carbs. I've never bothered noting anything on my ADR's. I have never had a problem asking for veggies instead of potato - or if the dish already comes with both veggies and starch, asking for more veggie. I don't know about your situation, but when I had gestational diabetes I was supposed to eat some carbs. As I am now. For dinner, about 2 to 3 carb choices. So since the starch servings tend to be on the small side at table service restaurants, I just eat them. And skip dessert or just have a bit of my daughter or husband's.

Watch the no sugar desserts - the sugar alcohols they use can really cause gastrointestinal problems for some. And they typically have just as many carbs as the regular dessert.

At the counter service places, you can get fruit instead of fries. Never a problem with that either.

8. smrand

smrand Earning My Ears

My husband is a type 2 diabetic and that is one reason we went with the DxDP. He can have the meals he needs throughout the day. He will simply make smart side choices, and does need some carbs throughout the day. Obviously chili is a smarter snack than an ice cream bar. Yes, it has carbs, but is not a high refined sugar snack. We chose restaurants with healthier choices, much easier for us with table service meals than counter service meals. When we normally eat out, we share our sides so if one of us gets mashed potatoes (higher in carbs) it's not a big deal. We are packing nuts and pb crackers for snacks and he will have some bites of our snacks. Living successfully with diabetes for him simply requires balance. He will be walking many miles each day and that will make a big difference. With where he is he can 'cheat' occasionally and be okay with exercise. Everyone is different and you will just have to keep watch on your blood sugar levels and adjust accordingly.

9. dawgsgirl

dawgsgirl DIS Veteran

I am a type 2 diabetic. I recently returned from a week at WDW. I had little trouble eating CS and keeping the carbs down. WDW offers a diverse selection at the CS places. They will always sub for the fries!! Look at the menus on allears. It is easier than you think!! And, forgot to add, I was NOT on any dining plan!!

10. Melanie B

Melanie B DIS Veteran

Disney is wonderful at accommodating dietary needs. When were were there last July I wanted a little something at the end of my meal but cake or other sugary desserts didn't sound appealing at all in the summer heat. They were happy to give me a bowl of fresh fruit instead. Most restaurants also have unsweetened tea as well if you want something other then water and soda. Generally we found on the deluxe plan that we really didn't spend money on food as snacks. We were always so satisfied from our meals that we usually spent our credits on bottled drinks.