1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Low Carb treats at WDW & dieting at WDW

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by abbyndrewmom, Mar 6, 2004.

1. abbyndrewmom

abbyndrewmom Mouseketeer

Hi,

Any suggestions on low carb treats in the parks. I am on the South Beach diet phase 2 and though I am not planning on sticking strictly to the diet while in WDW I am going to do my best!!! I am planning on going back to phase 1 for a week on our return to hopefully undo any dammage I do in WDW.

I have read the article on Deb's site and seen some good suggestions for treats. Is there anything else you have found in the parks? Any one have any tips or success stories for dieting in the parks. I am not overly worried because I know we will do alot more walking then usual so hopefully any extra carbs or calories I eat will be burned off.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tinkie

tinkie Mouseketeer

I'm in the same boat!:boat: - although I've cheated a bit the past few days (popcorn) so now I might not feel as guilty at Disney! I plan on resuming phase one upon return!

While in WDW I'm planning on chicken caesar salads, other salads, grilled meats and fish, etc. The one meal I'm really stuck on is breakfast because I don't plan on eating out but in the room.....what to eat? Normally a bagel would work, but obviously not on SB. ideas?

GOOD Luck!

4. keswick1uk

keswick1uk Mouseketeer

I dieted about 3 years ago and had the ability to eat extras if I exercised them off. I would go that way. Build in the foods that don't quite fit the diet and treat any walking exercise as a set-off?

I *really* do appreciate that you don't want to get out of the diet now you are doing so well on it but I have learned in the last 3 years that its not what you eat some of the time that makes a difference its what you eat *most* of the time. So, if you are looking to be sensible and stay stable during the holiday then follow the diet when you can and on odd occasions you can't don't worry. Eat what you want but in a sensible portion.

The secret is to not let *one* meal of non-diet type lead to a full blown blow out for the rest of the time.

I followed, loosely, a weight watchers plan.

5. pammy1027

pammy1027 Mouseketeer

I'd suggest eating alot of greens and protein while there for sure and bring along some low carb/protein bars as "treats." They definitely don't sell anything but fresh fruit and that doesn't qualify as a treat to me :) Low Carb chips and bars should do the trick and maybe allow yourself a soft preztel here and there.

My problem is once I stray from the diet, then I'm on an eating binge- it happened at WDW in January and I just got it under control again 2 weeks ago.

Best of luck and have a wonderful time!

6. Brier Rose

Brier Rose <font color=9999FF>The Tag Fairy prefers to remain

I've been wondering about the sugar free chocolates from the candy shops.
    I'm doing atkins, and have been having the sugar free chocolates as treats sometimes, because with all of the sugar alcohol they tend to by very low on carbs.

I would think that the sugar free chocolate made at Disney would would be the same??

Guess it would be better to get it and eat it as a treat at night back in the room though!

If you've ever had any experience with overindulging in things made with sugar alcohol, I'm sure you know all about gastric distress! :p

I will add though, that I do plan on having some treats off plan. I can taste the rice krispie mickey now!

A couple of weeks ago, I did kindof a test run, to see if I would be able to handle stuff like that on vacation without gaining alot or feeling sick. (good excuse, huh!) I had already been at a stall for 2 weeks, so I figured it would be a good time for some experimenting.

I ate a few girl scout cookies on a Monday, hamburger and french fries on friday, and pizza on Sunday.

Guess what, I lost 3 pounds the next week!

7. abbyndrewmom

abbyndrewmom Mouseketeer

Glad to see I am not the only one in the weight loss predictement. As I said I am not sticking sticktly to the diet. My favorite dessert is the Tiramsu at the Itlay Pavillion, I can hardly wait to have it.

Tinkie, for Breakfast I thought I would probably bring some low carb bread and peanut butter. We also have Chef Mickey's reserved for one breakfast. I plan on eating lots of eggs, breakfast meats and some fruit. Because I am doing south beach instead of Atkins I can also have some fruit. Lunch & Dinner will probably be a lot of salads from sit downs and probably fish and chicken from the sit down restaurants.

Keswick, I also agree that all the extra walking is going to help keep the pounds off. i have yet to gain weight on a WDW vacation even though we always eat well.

Pammy I know what you mean about 1 binge ruining things. I was doing Atkins in the fall for about 6weeks then Halloween came along and I lost it!!! I figured with Christmas coming I might as well just forget. Atkins wasn't really working that well for me so when I decided to try again I thought I would try the South Beach Diet. I like that I can eat more vegetables and fruit!

Goodluck to everyone else!! I will let you know what I think of the low carb treats when I get back!!

8. Jordan's MOM

Jordan's MOM DIS Veteran

We wanted some low carbs breakfast ideas for when we were there in December. We took a small cooler and a few bags of cheese cubes and ham cubes. Buy at any grocery store or cut up yourself. We also took a jar of peanuts but not everyone eats those. Good luck. We pretty much what we wanted including deserts and did not gain an ounce.

Jordans' mom

9. BonnieA

BonnieA I don't need no stinkin tag

I stayed on Atkins last month while at WDW. Here's what I ate:
    breakfasts were atkins bars and shakes. One morning I had the breakfast buffet at the Golden Corral.
    Lunch at MK was Pecos Bills cheeseburger, bun removed, piled high with fixins of grilled mushrooms & onions and lettuce.
    At MGM I had an oriental chicken salad. It was not that good. Had to pick off the mandarin oranges and croutons. And it was plain iceburg lettuce.
    Went to Flame Tree at AK for the ribs. I ordered only the ribs without any sides (it was $1.50 cheaper that way).
    At France pastry shop in the world showcase I ordered the cheese & fruit plate. Ate only the cheese and a bite of the french bread.
    In the "land" in futureworld I got a chicken ceaser salad at the counter service restaurant, it was very good.
    Ate at Hollywood & Vine buffet. Lots of good meats and salads.
    One night I went to Angels Lobster & Seafood buffet, the lobster was very tough. I won't go there again.
    I had sugar free desserts at MK: sugar free ice cream. Epcot Futureworld coffee shop: sugar free cheesecake (yummy) and at Norway: sugar free chocolate moouse (delecious).

10. Desi

Desi <font color=990000>Seek color and ye shall receive

I know it's expensive, so this wouldn't do every night, but 'OHANA'S would be perfect for Atkins or South Beach. But I agree, it'll be back to phase 1 upon return! But It'll be WORTH it!:wave2:

11. AlisonB

AlisonB <font color=990000>Bonzo's DW!!<br><font color=blu

Thanks for the tips - I've been watching this thread with interest! I really don't want to ruin all the good I've done so far, but we're in WDW for 3 weeks soon - and I just know there are several items calling for me!! (Mickey ice cream bar, dole whip, funnel cake....I could go on forever!)

12. gshoemate

gshoemate <font color=blue>Wants to Talk to the Dolphins!<br

We've found this helpful with the budget also. If you and someone else in your party is going to get a hamburger, order the double cheeseburger and ask for an extra boat (what they put your order in), then you take one of the patties and pile it high with toppings. Normally burgers come with fries so if you get your own....it's only added temptation. Oh, and make sure to eat at a place that has a toppings bar....not every place has one.

13. Simba's Mom

Simba's Mom <font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha

I also noticed that there are some tips on low carb dieting at WDW both on the WISH board here and at www.allearsnet.com

14. Rhonda

Rhonda <marquee><font color=red>Quote of the Day: <font

There are a lot of South Beach dieters here on our WISH board! Come on over and join us! You'll get lots of tips for following a low-carb diet at WDW!
    Click here for the WISH board

15. mtheiss

mtheiss DVC Resort hopper

For just regular food, not necessarily treats, try the Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge, it is a smokehouse BBQ all-you-can eat. They put the food on a lazy susan in an old time pan and you can refill whatever you like. Just look out for the all-you-can drink milk shakes.