Low Calorie Dining Options?

kellysa

Earning My Ears
We are leaving for DL in two weeks! I'd love to receive suggestions for low calorie healthy dining options.

Thank you as always for your helpful tips!
Kelly

Oooh this one's a toughy!

Over at DCA at the Farmers Market stand, they have a really good spinach wrap with grapes and chicken...i'm thinking the dressing they use might not be too healthy, but you could ask for them to lightly spread it??

I really like the grilled meat and vegetable skewers at Bengal BBQ. Granted the meat does have a sauce on them, but it is still not too bad for you, and very, very tasty! They also sell fruit at the stand across the walk from them near Jungle Cruise (and in other places around the park).

From allears.net

California Wrap - Marinated Grilled Chicken, Mandarin oranges, apricots, sliced red flame grapes, cilantro, baby spinach, lightly tossed in a dressing of non-fat yogurt laced with amber honey, wrapped in a spinach tortilla. Served with choice of apple slices or fries. $7.99

This sounds soo yummy right now!

Check out the other menu items for Disneyland too at allears.net.

I really like the grilled meat and vegetable skewers at Bengal BBQ. Granted the meat does have a sauce on them, but it is still not too bad for you, and very, very tasty! They also sell fruit at the stand across the walk from them near Jungle Cruise (and in other places around the park).

Yes, Bengal BBQ was my first thought too! I love their chicken and veggie skewers. Also, Riverbelle Terrace has turkey sandwiches with carved turkey meat, not deli meat, and they have a condiments bar so you can add as much or as little of the toppings that you want. There are also salads in a bread bowl at the Pacific Wharf Cafe in DCA. Oh and I know my sister always likes to get the chicken sandwich at White Water Snacks at the GCH.

I eat 1200 a day and have a hard time at DL :scared1: I wish there was a website with nutrition info. Maybe city hall has nutrition sheets? IDK
but I use an app on my iPhone to calculate the ingredients. The best things I have found are PWC in DCA has wonderful salads sans dressing and lay off eating the whole bread bowl are estimated at 400 calories in my app. As others have said too, Bengal BBQ again ask for no sauce. At cafe Orleans the vegetable ratatoui is very yummy and unless they use butter in the sauce I calculate it at just under 400, with no cheese. I am probably way off but it makes me feel better and I havnt gained anything, knock on wood!!
Hth... Just remember portion size! and no tigger tails! Lol That's my weekness! :goodvibes

While I don't know the exact nutrition facts, here are some healthy options I chose while at the parks last month:

100_1322-1.jpg

Pineapple spears from the Main Street Fruit Cart.

100_1328.jpg

Turkey club sandwich with apple slices from Hungry Bear Restaurant.

100_1345.jpg

Fruit and yogurt parfait from the Blue Ribbon Bakery.

100_1361.jpg

Solarflare salad with grilled chicken and fat-free raspberry dressing from Tomorrowland Terrace.

100_1368.jpg

100_1369.jpg

California wrap with apple slices from Farmer's Market.

100_1447.jpg

Chip and Dale Snack Company pretzels.

100_1430.jpg

Rosemary turkey breast salad from River Belle Terrace.

100_1459.jpg

100_1460.jpg

Grilled Veggie Sandwich with slaw from Studio Catering Co.

100_1463.jpg

Fruit and vegetables from Whitewater Snacks.

I hope this helps. :)

Having just lost 30 lb and loving all of the Disney treats, I find it easier to eat what I want but in smaller portions and then add fresh fruit or a salad with fat free dressing. That way I don't feel deprived and won't gain weight either. The ooey gooey treats are part of the Disney experience for me. :goodvibes

This helps! These suggestions are awesome! I knew this was the place to ask. Thanks again!
Kelly

thank you guys so much for this thread and posts. The park is the one place I always have issues with my calorie counts. These are some great suggestions and much better than "running an extra mile" to make up for it.

If this double posts, sorry. My computer is weirding out on me!

Rancho del Zachalo had a roasted half chicken. You can sub the beans and rice for veggies. There is more than enough to share

My oldest dd and I were on a serious diet when we went in July. We did a lot of meal sharing and scouted out things we could eat. One of our favorites was the salmon salad at the little shack place across from the HM, right next to the water. The salad is great and the salmon is a big piece of fish and very tasty! It was only $10, which we thought was a bargain at DLR.

We also like the salmon on a plank meal at RFC and we shared a filet mignon dinner at BB. We asked for extra veggies instead of the potatoes and we skipped the rolls.

Another place we liked was La Brea sit-down. They were very good about substituting and sharing.

We did it, too--we lost weight at DL! We did have a couple of small splurges, but we didn't overdo it. We each have a favorite treat and we had a few of them during our stay. I love the Mickey truffles and she loves those caramel-nut turtle things.

I'm happy to say I've been at my goal weight for a few months now and am looking forward to my trip this month when I will be able to enjoy a better variety than I could when I was on the first (brutal) phase of the diet!

dizme...congrats on the food intake lifestyle change! :)

So I think Friday it will be that incredible chicken wrap for lunch (an excuse to go hit up Toy Story Midway Mania) and possibly the Solarflare Salad for dinner!

MMMMmmmmm!!!!

And definitely some Bengal BBQ on Saturday. That is where I learned to eat Asparagus. But the veggie skewers look really good too.

I am an insulin dependent diabetic. For us, it's a constant balancing act.

I have found on Disney trips we walk SOOO much more than our daily walking at home that I take far less insulin at DL and WDW. (often over 10 miles a day according to DH's pedometer).

Because of this, I agree with an earlier poster --- I basically eat what I enjoy but if the portion is BIG - I just eat less.

Last trip I crashed...DH and my friend (a doctor) sat me down and just started bringing ANY food they could get their hands on. Remember the scene in Gone With the Wind when Scarlett was on her honeymoon with Rhet and she was GORGING herself in New Orleans? That was ME -- salad, fruit, hamburger and french fries (husband eventually grabbed that)....ice cream with stawberries (shared with everyone). Diet Coke, Regular Coke, pickles (ok - not necessarily the top of my feeding list) Hot dogs.....I got the giggles and it ended up as a silly feeding frenzy between the 3 of us. HOWEVER - in moderation --- I didn't go "over my sugar limit" !!!

Next trip, however, I'll be in a scooter with a knee injury so my normal routine will be out the window.

My oldest dd and I were on a serious diet when we went in July. We did a lot of meal sharing and scouted out things we could eat. One of our favorites was the salmon salad at the little shack place across from the HM, right next to the water. The salad is great and the salmon is a big piece of fish and very tasty! It was only $10, which we thought was a bargain at DLR.

We also like the salmon on a plank meal at RFC and we shared a filet mignon dinner at BB. We asked for extra veggies instead of the potatoes and we skipped the rolls.

Another place we liked was La Brea sit-down. They were very good about substituting and sharing.

We did it, too--we lost weight at DL! We did have a couple of small splurges, but we didn't overdo it. We each have a favorite treat and we had a few of them during our stay. I love the Mickey truffles and she loves those caramel-nut turtle things.

I'm happy to say I've been at my goal weight for a few months now and am looking forward to my trip this month when I will be able to enjoy a better variety than I could when I was on the first (brutal) phase of the diet!

Is this the place that sells the bread bowl soups? Or another place? I'm going soon and this sounds perfect for my diet...!

Last trip Dh and I discovered the foodles. They are sold at the fruit carts. It's a mickey head shaped tray with an assortment of veggies and ranch dip or peanut butter. They were a great snack to tide you over if your hungry between meals. I'm sure they are meant for kids, but I thought they were a great healthy choice for anyone.

Last trip Dh and I discovered the foodles. They are sold at the fruit carts. It's a mickey head shaped tray with an assortment of veggies and ranch dip or peanut butter. They were a great snack to tide you over if your hungry between meals. I'm sure they are meant for kids, but I thought they were a great healthy choice for anyone.

THis is a great thought. And speaking of kids, don't be afraid to order off the kids menu! Disney has gotten really great about offering healthy choices for kids and it makes a great diet meal. At tomorrow land terrace, I love the kids corn dog meal. Little corn dogs with carrots and a little bottle of water or milk. YUM! And I definately feel better than if I have one of the big corn dogs at DCA. Although those are delicious! mmmm....corn dog...sorry! mind wandered there.

Is this the place that sells the bread bowl soups? Or another place? I'm going soon and this sounds perfect for my diet...!

Yep! It's called the Harbour Galley. They reopened not long ago, I guess, with a great menu (IMO). Here is what they offer:

The menu:
HOT FROM THE GALLEY
Served in a sourdough bread bowl
Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Soup - $8.99
Clam Chowder - $8.99 Vegetarian Chili - $8.99

SHORE-SIDE SALADS
Roast New York Salad - $9.99
Roasted New York atop a field of greens and hearts of romaine. Fresh cucumbers, yellow and red teardrop tomatoes, feta cheese, green onions, dried cherries with garlic aioli and toasted almonds. Grilled Salmon Salad - $9.99
Grilled salmon atop a field of greens and hearts of romaine. Fresh cucumbers, yellow and red teardrop tomatoes, fresh dill, dried cherries with herbed aioli and wheat berries.

KID'S POWER PACK - $5.99
With string cheese, nonfat yogurt, sliced apples and whole-grain "fish" crackers, includes choice of small low-fat milk, Minute Maid apple juice box or small Dasani water. Soda available upon request.

SIDES
Fresh Fruit Cup - $3.49
Crispy Treat - $3.29
Chocolate Chip Cookie - $2.79
BEVERAGES
Regular - $2.69 | Large - $3.29
Dasani Water - $2.79
Coffee - $2.69
Hot Cocoa - $2.69

Bumping up for more ideas!

DH is dieting right now, and while our trip is 4+ months away, this will give me an opportunity to make a list of things for him.

Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter