Low blood pressure

Marlea98

DIS Veteran
I can't find the answer to what I'm looking for and I hope this is the right place to ask.

I am on two lots of blood pressure medications after having a heart attack and sudden cardiac arrest a few months ago. My blood pressure (before heart thingy) is normally 110/70 but the medication has kept it around the 80s/60s, so quite low (sometimes it goes as low as 77/50 but that is very rare as time has passed). As a result I sometimes get dizzy easily and find standing for long periods, or even at random times while walking, a bit tiring and feel like I might fall over. It's not something that happens every day or all of the time, though.

My question is are there any places in the lines for rides at Disneyland where I can sit and wait if I get a dizzy spell and either catch up with my family or move ahead and wait for them to get up to me? There are some rides that I won't be able to do without the cardiologist's approval (or if at all), such as Space Mountain or California Screamin' so that's not an issue as I can just wait outside the ride. If I decide to not ride the ride but still want to wait in line with my family do most of the rides have somewhere where parents can sit and wait like they do with Pirates for parent swap?

I don't really want to have to rent an ECV or wheelchair as I may not need to use it (and potentially make it unavailable to someone else who does) but I do want to participate in as many things with my family as possible. This year's events have made me look at our next trip differently. We do the parks from opening to close and just go-go-go so I understand that will have to change, too. I never really paid attention to places to sit before unless it was for somewhere to eat!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions :)

There aren't any seating areas in the queues and many are not set up for people to join there party further in the line. You'd have to push past everyone else in line. Your best option to have a place to sit is to rent a wheelchair or ECV. Don't worry about taking one from someone who needs one, you have a need for one too. You could rent from off-site to have it available when you aren't the parks. If you don't want to use it at times, you can leave it in stroller parking and go back later for it. ECVs and wheelchairs are tools just like glasses are.

I would honestly talk with your doctor for an adjustment to your blood pressure meds perhaps. Your doctor should know about your dizziness. Maybe, the doctor will adjust the dosage or suggest a different medicine. If you don't own a blood pressure monitor I would get one. Then, I would keep a diary of your pressures and show your doctor what is happening with your readings.

Also, some blood pressure medicines are not meant to be taken together. I'm not knowing if this is a possibility, but that's another consideration.

My husband is on four blood pressure medicines and he has to be very careful how he gets up from a chair or bed. He can't do it quickly or he will be dizzy.

There will not be that many opportunities to sit in ride lines. I think you are a candidate for an ECV. You can always park the ECV for a while if you want to walk some. Just remember to take your key with you. The ECV will allow you to enjoy the park longer which is well worth the rental price. Also, with your new situation the amount of walking all day may be a bit much so soon after all you have been through. Get an ECV and use it.

I agree that an ecv or wheelchair would answer your needs. However, if you are still resistant to these, and prefer to walk everywhere, consider a rollator. It is a walker on wheels with a built in seat. You could take it through the queues and would be able to sit whenever you needed to. The ride CMs would take it when you got on the ride, and it would be waiting for you when you got off.

If you choose to go through a queue with your family and not ride, just tell the CM and they will show you how to reach the exit. You can wait for your family there.

Thank you for your replies :)

I'm hoping my medications will change closer to the date but I never even considered that until it was suggested; I don't have high bp but he wants it kept low to give my heart time to recover slowly. I will raise the issue of adjusting the doses etc as we get closer. I have a bp monitor at home plus a FitBit HR that I could bring along (leaving the monitor in our accommodation rather than lugging it around the park). I'm assuming that the first aid stations would have bp monitors in case I need to check.

I do have a walker/rollater that I have used at home but I feel rather embarrassed about using it in public because I'm a lot younger than most people I see around here using them. I live outside of the US so it would be one more thing I would have to travel with so I think hiring an ECV (rather than a wheelchair and expect to be pushed around by my family) may be the go after all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter