Lousy VMK Weekend

DaraAllen

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the
OK, tell me I shouldn't quit, please. First, unlike others, I couldn't run through the HSM quest again to get another microphone. Then, my DH caused me to miss getting a pin 1 of 5 on Friday because of his game he plays a lot. Then, I spent forever trying to get into the Walk the Plank game, finally made it in, went through the whole thing, was one of the two left standing and dc'd. Then the quest yesterday, after the 30 min wait for it to even be available, and got nothing. I did manage to get one pin for me from the race the chairs game, so I guess it wasn't a complete loss, but DH has nothing and I don't have extras for the wee ones. And, I spent a lot of time at it. Wah!

You shouldn't leave bc us disers need to stick together and somewhere out there a diser has a spare pin for someone but i will try and get one for you i do not want your kids to be unhappy and there are much more chances to get it during the month so cheer up and be happy look into the future (Geesh i sound like esmereallda) I know i can't spell her name.

Spongeblair said:
You shouldn't leave bc us disers need to stick together and somewhere out there a diser has a spare pin for someone but i will try and get one for you i do not want your kids to be unhappy and there are much more chances to get it during the month so cheer up and be happy look into the future (Geesh i sound like esmereallda) I know i can't spell her name.

Which pin are you talking about?

Pirate Attraction 1 of 5. Hula said that it was the only one that wouldn't be on sale, so it can only be won/earned. I guess Sponge is right and I'll have more opportunities, but it is frustrating to spend so much time on something, you know? I have to get a laptop so I don't have to split my time with DH! And this working stuff, geez, does it interfere with my VMK time! And you'd think the four heathens could raise themselves!

You had a better weekend than I had. I lost every time I tried one of those games and came away with no pins. And finished in the 100s on each quest, and won squat.

DaraAllen said:
Pirate Attraction 1 of 5. Hula said that it was the only one that wouldn't be on sale, so it can only be won/earned. I guess Sponge is right and I'll have more opportunities, but it is frustrating to spend so much time on something, you know? I have to get a laptop so I don't have to split my time with DH! And this working stuff, geez, does it interfere with my VMK time! And you'd think the four heathens could raise themselves!
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Nah. You're not going to leave. :D
You're as hooked as the rest of us.
Be happy that you weren't here for the Halloween fiasco. ;)
Queue lines with over 500 people. Most never got to finish that event or even to start, let alone get anything. :)

cteddiesgirl said:

Queue lines with over 500 people. Most never got to finish that event or even to start, let alone get anything. :)

Ahhhh! Make it stop! The horror! The humanity! :teeth:
Yes, you managed to open up the old wound and pour salt in it.

But if it makes Dara feel ANY better about her frustrations, I suppose
I can bite the bullet and relive those nightmares. ;)

That Halloween event almost had me quit VMK, but I'm still here.
Go figure. :rolleyes1

BriarRosie said:
Ahhhh! Make it stop! The horror! The humanity! :teeth:
Yes, you managed to open up the old wound and pour salt in it.

But if it makes Dara feel ANY better about her frustrations, I suppose
I can bite the bullet and relive those nightmares. ;)

That Halloween event almost had me quit VMK, but I'm still here.
Go figure. :rolleyes1
Sorry about that Lori! :teeth:
I know exactly how you feel. That weekend was a total nightmare for many of us. Including me. :)
Many of us did swear up and down that we'd stop playing VMK.
But amazingly, the vast majority of us are still here. :goodvibes

Just goes to prove how addicted to VMK we all are! :rotfl:

Well this game has already cost me a mouse (the ghosts!), and I'm afraid it's going to cost me an LCD monitor! Plus, the kids got to hear mommy use a few words that they've had their mouths washed with soap for saying, so great example I'm setting. Talk about non-Disney values!!!

Oh I had a terrible time this weekend as well. Sometimes I think I'll never get that pin. I never considered quitting though, cause then I'll definitely never get it and all that hard work will have been for nothing!

cteddiesgirl said:

You had to remind me of that... Anyways, wasn't the best weekend for me either. I got banned and had to stay on my girl account. It was odd...

Ok you think yours was lousy i got in the line one time for the pin and dc at the end then i played the mic quest never ever finished HM game not working cant do that then 2 friends leave vmk omg then i got banned for a weak saying "East"

cteddiesgirl said:

Oh no not the halloween event, it was horrible! I waited in line forever and never got in because of all the disconnecting. It was a nightmare. lol.

Don't quit. The trick is to remember that all VMK weekends are bad. Plan on wasting a lot of time in line, plan on getting disconnected at the absolute worst moments and plan on experiencing a lot of frustration and anger. Once you have the correct mind set you may start playing the games although you will still have to wash your mouth out with soap. That just doesn't go away no matter how prepared you are. If by some fluke you actually get into a room and win a prize then celebrate! Not only have you won the game, you have somehow escaped from the VMK weekend vortex of doom. If you are 21 or older, this is a good time to have a beer. If you are under 21, celebrate in some legal way that your parents approve of. :rotfl:

If you find yourself getting extremely frustrated and you are 21 or older, then you might want to give up and have a beer or two. This won't improve your gameplay at all but at least you will be able to blame your crappy game experience on your reduced reaction time. Sometimes it even makes the gameplay funny. Staggering through the Haunted Mansion can be quite amusing. If you are under 21, this might be an opportunity to feign an illness like a cold so you can have some Nyquil or something. It's probably safer to just eat a lot of sugar though and then blame your crappy game play on the sugar high. If you are under 21, whatever you do, make sure it is legal and that you get your parents' permission before altering your state of consciousness. :rotfl:

qruthie (the 'q' is silent)

In a nutshell, then: If playing VMK aggravates a loved one enough, drug 'em?

Hmmm, that REALLY makes me want to re-evaluate my play habits, given that, well, I haven't drank in 20 years, and there's reasons for that. The fact that I know how long I've been sober probably tells you something.
qruthie said:
If you are 21 or older, this is a good time to have a beer. If you are under 21, celebrate in some legal way that your parents approve of. :rotfl:

If you find yourself getting extremely frustrated and you are 21 or older, then you might want to give up and have a beer or two. This won't improve your gameplay at all but at least you will be able to blame your crappy game experience on your reduced reaction time. Sometimes it even makes the gameplay funny. Staggering through the Haunted Mansion can be quite amusing. If you are under 21, this might be an opportunity to feign an illness like a cold so you can have some Nyquil or something. It's probably safer to just eat a lot of sugar though and then blame your crappy game play on the sugar high. If you are under 21, whatever you do, make sure it is legal and that you get your parents' permission before altering your state of consciousness. :rotfl:

qruthie (the 'q' is silent)

DaraAllen said:
In a nutshell, then: If playing VMK aggravates a loved one enough, drug 'em?

Hmmm, that REALLY makes me want to re-evaluate my play habits, given that, well, I haven't drank in 20 years, and there's reasons for that. The fact that I know how long I've been sober probably tells you something.

No, no, no. Never, ever drug anyone else! I didn't mean to imply that at all. However, I do owe you a huge apology for my insensitive comments.

I do understand about drinking issues and my post was intended to be tongue in cheek. The serious part of my post was to assume there will be trouble with VMK on weekends. I can't recall a weekend when VMK didn't have problems with disconnections and such. The foolhardy part of my post was suggesting people drug themselves to cope with VMK. I would never, ever seriously suggest for anyone to do that. I rarely drink but do have a beer or two once in a while. The last time I had a beer, it just happened to be at a time I was playing VMK and was playing ghosts. That's what "inspired" my post. I'm so sorry that I was so insensitive about alcohol use. We have some very serious substance abuse issues in my family so I have a lifetime of experience with substance abuse and how difficult it is to give it up.

Congratulations on your very lengthy period of sobriety, you should be very proud of yourself! I don't even know you yet I can say that I am very, very impressed by you! That is an amazing accomplishment so definitely do NOT follow my foolhardy advice to use beer to make VMK tolerable. "One day at a time" and "Easy does it" are much better ways of coping with frustrations with VMK. If you EVER feel like you are going to slip, you can definitely contact me and I'll talk you out of it. Seriously, my mother was in AA a lot and I gladly talked with the people she sponsored if she wasn't home when they called. I will do almost anything to help someone keep from slipping. If you would like my phone number, I will gladly send it to you via private message.

Again, I apologize to you and all of DIS for being so insensitive and I do hope you can forgive me for being so careless and insensitive.

Ruth
qruthie (the 'q' is silent and ruthie feels like a moron)

No offense taken. The issue here is that VMK is very aggravating and I'm questioning the sanity of continuing to play. Part of this is because my lousy weekend has continued into this week:

Yesterday, my DH logged in because I told him he needed to try to get the pin, and with only a two hour window of opportunity, time was precious. He logged on, got in the queue after 20 minutes of clicking. Made it through queue (22 mins), into room, on carpet, and one click from winning (he blew everyone else away getting up the sea of seats to the crow's nest), and dc'd. Then, he logged back in, got in the queue after 10 minutes, spent another 20 mins in queue, got in the room, Hula dc'd, Zoo came in and told everyone she dc'd, the rest of them started dc'ing one by one, and he dc'd before Hula even came back. Did it again, about 7:20, was in the room on the river ride, Hula went blank (she was still physically there but not responding), we figured she dc'd 7:30 came and went, 7:31, 7:32, 7:33, 7:34, and you guessed it, dc.

So, out of four opportunities to get the pin or chair, he was able to complete nada. I don't mean win one, I mean even complete game for a shot of winning one. He told me, "No wonder you get so aggravated."

Thank you for your kind words, and I knew you were tongue in cheek. My response was also tongue in cheek.

But, what about the kids who don't know from tongue in cheek? What are they doing about not getting or staying frustrated? Why is VMK being this way? Is it a ploy by Disney to justify starting to charge for it?

As I said, I've been thinking a lot about it, and that's usually not a good thing for me to do!

Ok, so, here's what I have from this thread:

Only six days into pirate month and you have won something! Yay for you!!! :cool1: That's great!

Think of staff games like this: no certainty you will get through the line, no certainty you will get to play, and, of course, no certainty you will win. If you got a prize, celebrate!

If you didn't - we are all here to listen. Trust me - I have had more than my share of frustrations from staff games, but I also have gotten some occasional strokes of luck and walked away with a prize. During those frustrating moments, but DH has tried to remind me that it is "just a game." Clearly he does not understand. I understand and share your frustration, but you have won.

Congratulations on having a pirate prize!

-Disney Dreams

Ok....another PSA about host games.

If you find that you can't get into the queue for a staff game after 5-10
minutes....refresh your sign on and try again! I will use F5 at various times,
and staff games are one of them.

I also find that F5 after a few games of Mansion is preventive medicine for
the dreaded "dc"....with the exception of IE crashes I get from time to time.

Ok, that was a public service announcement from BriarLori.
You may now return to your regularly scheduled rant. ;)

BriarRosie said:
Ok....another PSA about host games.

If you find that you can't get into the queue for a staff game after 5-10
minutes....refresh your sign on and try again! I will use F5 at various times,
and staff games are one of them.

I also find that F5 after a few games of Mansion is preventive medicine for
the dreaded "dc"....with the exception of IE crashes I get from time to time.

Ok, that was a public service announcement from BriarLori.
You may now return to your regularly scheduled rant. ;)

Lately we've been getting DCed after about a half hour, so I will sign off and back on if I don't get into the queue of a game within 3-4 minutes, tops. I won 2 of the 1 of 5 Pirate pins last weekend and each time, I DCed within a minute or two of winning them. In fact, I was in the middle of trying to put the pin on, immediately after exiting the game, when I DCed!!

Now that I've won that pin for DH CapeCAD and for myself, I will continue to try and win it again for friends because I know so many of them want it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter