Lots of questions

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by tfiga1, Apr 11, 2012.

1. tfiga1

tfiga1 Mouseketeer

My family has never been on a cruise before and I have a ton of questions. I am hoping the experts on the Disboards would be able to answer the below.
    My family includes DH 42, DS 13, DS 11 and me (29 jk)
    Thanks so much.

1. After my deposit on DCL, can I make payments on a weekly basis? One of the things we love about Disney World is that we can make weekly payments and pay it off.

2. 3 day or 4 day? Which is better for 1st time cruisers?

3. Can we stay on the ship on the Bahamas day if we want to?

4. What is the standard tips, so I have a jumping off point on budget?

5. Is DCL worth double compared to Carnival, etc?

6. Do I buy insurance now for a trip in Aug 2013 before I know whether I am flying or not?

7. Do I rent a car or take the Disney transportation?

8. How much money will I need on the ship? We do not drink and not including souvenirs.

Thanks

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. SpideyHulk24

SpideyHulk24 Secretly has the hots for Jennifer Garner and love

just noticed i typed in caps. Not yelling...lol...promise, just wanted to differentiate my responses to your questions....hope that helps!

4. MisterOJ

MisterOJ Mouseketeer

I added my answers in red above.

5. Sereina

Sereina Mouseketeer

2. The longer the better. I would go with the 4 day, unless you can swing an even longer one. 4 days would still feel short to me.

3. Yes, you can stay on the ship if you'd like.

4. I believe the suggested tips are $12 a day per person.

8. On the ship you use your Key To The World card to pay for everything. You'll only need cash if you're going to use it at port.

6. disneyfaninaz

disneyfaninaz It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Here's a cruise tip calculator.

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

Make sure you read the stickeys on top of the cruise board. A lot of your questions will be answered there.

7. Jrsy Boy

Jrsy Boy DIS Veteran<br><font color=red>You can tell I'm ma

1. I believe you can pay it on whatever schedule you want to set as long as the final balance is paid off on time.

2. The only difference is an "at-sea" day but I suspect if you go with a 3-day, you'll wish you had more time and if you book a 4-day, you'll wish you had more time. Either one is a good way to start.

3. Yep. They don't throw you off and make you go play while they clean the ship.

4. Check this link.

5. Can't answer that one.

6. Opinions may vary, but I don't typically buy travel insurance until I've purchased something that is non-refundable.

7. Depends on where you are talking about traveling to and from.

8. Technically you won't need money until you have to pay off your stateroom charges at the end of the cruise, and you can put that on your credit card if you want.

8. Princess Row

Princess Row His Disney girl!

2. I would say a seven day cruise is best but probably a four day....a three day you will wish for more time.

3. Yep! You can stay on as much/little as you would like.

4. Tips vary, but base it off what you feel. Use the tip calculator.....comes in handy at times.

5. YES!! We have cruise Carnival, DCL and Royal. We will probably never cruise another line again....Disney has everything you could want AND MORE!

7. Depends on how many of you there are. First time in Orlando? Use the transportation....you will love it. Trying to save money? You will have to calculate it depending on your family number.

8. don't over do it with the money. People often take to much and then loose it or spend all of it. Take what you feel would be best for your family. If you arnt buying that much....dont take that much. But we have always charged to our room for a credit card account.

9. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

I know others will disagree, but I wouldn't even bother with a 3 night cruise unless it was tied to other activities. Your transportation costs are the same whether you cruise for 2 1/2 days (3 nights) or 7 nights. Longer is always better, but I consider 4 nights to be a minimum.

Decide what is most important to you--convenience or cost. If convenience, you can do everything seamlessly thru DCL, but if cost is a priority, you'll save a chunk by renting a car.

Yes, you can stay on the ship in Nassau and not miss much. There are some free beaches if you opt for a beach day, or you can get off and just walk around a bit.

For a short cruise, price less expensive cabins. You won't spend enough time in your room to need something fancy.

You can have a great cruise and not spend a penny beyond your ticket and tips....or you can spend literally thousands. The choice is yours.

10. ilovetexas

ilovetexas DIS Veteran

Answers above in blue. After our first cruise in 2007, I want to be on a ship every other month. I hope you and yours enjoy it as much as we have!

11. tfiga1

tfiga1 Mouseketeer

Thanks so much.