Losing our jobs... but still went to Disney! A Halloween 2009 TR - FINAL Update 3/1

Merry Christmas, everyone! I hope you're all enjoying the holiday! Be safe and have a great weekend! I might be back tomorrow with a new update! I'm itching to tell you guys about the Bakstage Safari Tour!

:santa:

Sorry everyone for the delay...I know you've all been waiting on pins and needles.... :rolleyes1

Yes we have, but I am late!

(I watched the new Stacey video literally 5 times in a row while Lumar was in the bathroom)

:rotfl2:

Your Tutto looked heavenly! I'm thinking I would like a cannoli right now!

LOVED the drunk girl story. Cracked me up!

Your pictures are great. Looked like a beautiful day.

Today was what Jordan might call a Good Mojo Day. We got up at 8:30am, had breakfast at Everything Pop around 9:30am - scrambled eggs with sausage and potatoes for me and Lumar had a ham and cheese omelet. We actually got the omelet for free...the CM asked me what kind of omelet it was and then never actually rung it up so our entire meal cost me only $12.

When we got to DHS, we got FPs for RNRC then gont in line for ToT which had about a 20 minute wait.

IMG_0677.jpg

SDC10539.jpg

We got the back row and when we went to pick up our ride photo, the CM told us that they now have the option to zoom in on your party, so you dont get a whole bunch of strangers in your pic. There are still a few strangers, but at least you can actually see us. My scanner is covered in junk and I just don't have time right now to clean it off and get the picture on here but I'll try to remember to add it in later.

We had a little while before our RNRC return time so we walked through the air conditioned shops...it was about 90 degrees again today. We started hearing the CMs talking about how it was unseasonably warm....

Here's Lumar with his hero at the Planet Hollywood store:
SDC10541.jpg

We ended up getting the front row on RNRC which we've never had before so that was pretty cool! After the coaster, we decided to head over to Toy Story Midway Mania. The stand-by line was an hour wait but the FP return time was 6:30 and we had dinner reservations at 6:25 so we just waited in the stand-by line. You know how sometimes, the sign says the wait is an hour but then you actually only wait like half an hour? This was not one of those times. I'm pretty sure we stood in line for EXACTLY an hour. And it was a long and painful (for my feet) hour.

And Mr. Potato Head, as innovative as he may be, gets rather boring after about 10 minutes:
SDC10547.jpg

The ride itself is a LOT of fun, and it gets really competitive! But my arm started hurting pretty bad from the repetitive motion. I need to find a pain-free technique. Lumar kicked my butt; 151,000 to 94,000.

We headed over to Pizza Planet for lunch where I encountered a minor scuffle. Lumar sat outside and saved us a table while I stood in line. There was a tourist group (kids, maybe 8th or 9th grade) from Mexico in the line next to me. You know how they have three registers but two lines share a register? So they were at the same register as me, just in the other line. There is a lady and her husband in front of me. The CM takes the order of the first kid in the tour group (there were 5 all together I believe). We assume, she will then switch over and take the order of the woman in front of me. No, she continues to take the INDIVIDUAL orders of each of the kids in the tour group. So the woman in front of me starts making a big deal about it, and I agree that it was not fair that the CM took all 5 of their orders together just because they were all in the same group. They ordered and paid individually, so to me, that constitutes as 5 different guests. But the woman in front of me started trying to turn it into a racial thing, just because the CM happens to speak Spanish. Her husband tried to calm her down, but she was clearly one of "those" moms that is not used to not getting her way, and I got the impression that in her world, those who speak Spanish are simply there to serve her in some way. Again, I agree that the CM was wrong to lump them all together, but the woman in front of me was just rude. I felt much better when I got my tray of food before she did.

I joined Lumar outside at our table, where we watched some child have a major meltdown across the street. His mom kind of knelt down to talk to him and he actually reached out and hit her. He was maybe 4 or 5. So I couldn't help but shout "Go mom!" to myself when she layed the smackdown on him.

After we ate, we played Pirates Pinball for a few minutes then Lumar had to use the restroom so I hung out the Muppets gift shop.

Thanks to the parade, when we arrived the Writer's Stop at 3:30pm, it was empty. I picked up a couple of books then we headed over to Star Tours and got FPs for 4:30. Because the parade walks right by the ride, there was actually a line for it. We watched the end of the parade then got right on Star Tours, then went over to the Great Movie Ride. We were literally the 2nd people in line and we got the front row again which we've never had before. Not that it made the ride any better, because it's still old and played out, but it was mildly fun none the less.

SDC10552.jpg

Around 5:30 we headed over to meet the Power Rangers :sad2: and then checked in at the Brown Derby at 6pm. Our ressie was for 6:25 and we got seated right on time. Lumar ordered the 16oz charbroiled rib eye, and I ordered the herb marinated split roasted chicken breast.

SDC10554.jpg

SDC10555.jpg

Lumar ordered his steak well done. It came out and was like half a step above "still mooing." He sent it back and it came back medium rare. The outside was cooked, the inside was still pink. But at least it wasn't bloody. My chicken was OK but the flavor was all in the skin and the meat itself was bland and dry and there was a big chunk of fatty material on one side. The rice it came with was also bland. The strawberry cheesecake, however was really good!

SDC10559.jpg

Overall, I feel it was an expensive meal and it wasn't worth it. We won't be going back any time soon.

After dinner, got in line for Fantasmic at 9pm. We got the Mickey section, right in the middle! No tall people on front of me, no giant light poles. It was perfect!

I got ice cream from Hollywood Scoops on the way out and we headed to bed at 11pm.

I'm loving your trip report. My WDW trip this past summer lasted all of 1 day. My sister, niece and I drove down to Disney (700 miles) on Friday and got a phone call on Saturday that our mom had been hospitalized with stroke-like symptoms - which an MRI revealed to actually be an undiagnosed massive brain tumor at the final stage. So on Sunday we were back in the car for a long and sad 700 mile trip back home. My Mom died on October 31.

The folks at WDW were wonderful when it happened and gave us a refund on our room and added the non-expiring option to our tickets free of charge. We will hopefully be able to plan a return trip in the coming months.

I'm loving your trip report. My WDW trip this past summer lasted all of 1 day. My sister, niece and I drove down to Disney (700 miles) on Friday and got a phone call on Saturday that our mom had been hospitalized with stroke-like symptoms - which an MRI revealed to actually be an undiagnosed massive brain tumor at the final stage. So on Sunday we were back in the car for a long and sad 700 mile trip back home. My Mom died on October 31.

The folks at WDW were wonderful when it happened and gave us a refund on our room and added the non-expiring option to our tickets free of charge. We will hopefully be able to plan a return trip in the coming months.

Wow, thank you for sharing your story :hug: I truly feel pain and I'm sorry for your loss. It sucks that it happened when it did, but at the same time at least WDW was nice about it and helped you out. Do the doctors know how long the tumor had been there? Was it something that had been around for a long time and she just never went to see anyone for it, or do they think it just popped up and grew rapidly?

I hope you get to go back soon! Thank you for reading my TR!

Do the doctors know how long the tumor had been there? Was it something that had been around for a long time and she just never went to see anyone for it, or do they think it just popped up and grew rapidly?

I hope you get to go back soon! Thank you for reading my TR!

They felt that while she probably had a tumor for a while, it had apparantly become an extremely aggressive grower because she was functioning normally in June (including driving) and then was completely bed ridden and unable to stand or walk by the last week of July. The doctors gave her 1 to 6 months to live and she made it 3 months.

They felt that while she probably had a tumor for a while, it had apparantly become an extremely aggressive grower because she was functioning normally in June (including driving) and then was completely bed ridden and unable to stand or walk by the last week of July. The doctors gave her 1 to 6 months to live and she made it 3 months.

Ugh, that's horrible. I'm so sorry for your loss :hug:

I was very excited about our breakfast reservation at Kona Cafe. We had never eaten here and I was dying to try Tonga Toast, courtesy of the DISers who informed me of it's existence.

I was up at 7am, in the hopes that we would actually make it to the Poly for our reservation at 9:20am. Not only did we make it on time, but we arrived at MK to catch to the monorail early enough that we actually got to see the preparations for rope drop! We got to the Poly at 9am and were seated right away.

Here is my (half eaten) Tonga Toast - which, seriously, is about 3 inches thick.

SDC10572.jpg

Lumar ordered Steak & Eggs (and I'm happy to report that his steak was cooked well done):

SDC10571.jpg

Here are some shots from the Poly which is basically what comes to mind when I picture an island paradise resort. It's absolutely beautiful and I wish I could afford to stay here.

SDC10570.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

SDC10573.jpg

The first thing we did when we got to MK was head to Liberty Square to ride HM.

SDC10575.jpg

SDC10578.jpg

SDC10585.jpg

After that, we planned to go and get FPs for Splash since it was only about 10:45 or so and it was already getting hot. The wait, however, was only 10 minutes so we just got in line. It was very humid so the little splashes we got felt great (despite the rumors about how nasty the water is).

After Splash, we headed over to PotC. There was a family that loaded onto the boat in front of us, and they had a little boy with them, maybe around 4 or 5. The entire time they were line, the little boy kept telling his dad that he didn't want to get on the ride. Dad said "OK we'll just wait in line with everyone else." This kid got played. They all climbed into the boat, the kid starts freaking out and lets out the most high pitched scream of terror I have ever heard in my life. And of course, PotC is a long dark cavern...which means that scream echoed through the entire ride. I was thankful that he wasn't on the same boat as us, and he did calm down after a minute, but at the time I felt really bad for him.

We headed out to get FPs for BTMRR (which I really wanted to ride at night) and then went to see Philharmagic.

Remember, everything in Disney happens "automagically"

SDC10589.jpg

The line for Peter Pan never ceases to amaze me. It was just about 1pm and the line was an hour long! I totally agree that this is a great ride, it consistently has the longest line of anything else Fantasyland.

We stopped for lunch at Columbia Harbor House (yay! I finally got to eat here!), then went back to BTM. I was determined to ride this at night but the FP machines were giving out tickets with return times of 4:30 so we went on but decided to come back for FPs later on. We were in line to get on the train and the family in front of us told us that Splash Mountain was closed down. As she was telling us how they had been stuck on it for an over an hour before finally being rescued, we saw about 100 people flocking towards the entrance to the ride. It occurred to us that it was 3:30 and all of these people had just baked to a crisp in the sun while watching the afternoon parade. The line for the train started to move, except the little boy that was with that family in front of us, got his leg stuck between the railing bars where we were standing. The mom tried getting his leg free and couldn't so I told her I would go find someone to help her. I headed towards the train and found two CMs...I told them a little boy got his leg stuck in the railing bars and one of them responded: "Again?" I had no idea this was a common occurrence but I guess it makes sense when you think about it.

We got off the train in Toontown and walked over to Tomorrowland. Since Space was closed, we got FPs for Buzz then rode the TTA. It was cool because we still got to ride through the Space Mountain building even though it was under construction. They had big walls blocking the coaster itself, but you could still some of it with the lights on and it was kind of cool!

Lumar kicked my butt on Buzz, as usual, and since it was about 4:15 or so, we decided to head back to BTM to get FPs. Our return time was 5:40 and I knew it would be at least close to dark by then so that was fine with me!

We got this picture taken on the bridge leading from Tomorrowland to Main Street:

scan0004.jpg

We had dinner reservations at the Plaza for 4:55pm, We checked in a little early, I think it was about 4:35 or so. As we were waiting, Lumar got a call from the hospital. It was the second call we had received from this so far on our trip. The first one came as we were getting ready to leave for Epcot on our first day. Keep in mind, it's not the doctor's that were calling us, it was the nurse who happened to be on staff. When we saw her on Thursday before we left for Florida, she was responsive. 48 hours later, the nurses were calling us nearly once a day to ask Lumar to give a verbal DNR. On Saturday morning, the nurse that called said to Lumar "so if your mom dies and goes to heaven, you actually want us to resuscitate her and bring her back?" First of all, we had no idea why they were suddenly pushing the issue, and we were appalled that a medical professional would say this. Soooo....now that we are about to sit down and eat dinner, we have another nurse on the phone pestering us further about this. We still have no idea why they're calling us, but when Lumar gets upset, he loses his appetite. A CM came out to get us and Lumar (who paces when he's upset) had wandered off somewhere while he was on the phone. I went inside and texted him that I had been seated. Of course, I am now upset because I'm pretty positive that when he joins me, he will be in a bad mood and not want to actually eat. He finally joined me about 10 minutes later and although he was grumpy, he did order a Turkey Sandwich and I had the Plaza Club. My sandwich did not come with a giant pickle this time and I was slightly disappointed. And we were both so upset over the phone call, the I forgot to take pictures.

After dinner, we went back to Frontierland and rode BTM with our FPs. Even though it was after 6, it still wasn't quite as dark as I wanted, so we got more FPs with a return time of 7pm which was perfect. Splash was back open and only had a 20 minute wait so we went on (thankfully it did not break down again), then rode BTM one more time (riding at night makes a HUGE difference and it was awesome!) before finally heading back to Pop.

It was starting to rain by the time we got back to the resort and I got us lost on the way back to our room. We passed the dang foosball table about 3 times before we ended up back at Classic Hall, then of course, had to go all the way back to Building 7. My feet hurt so bad by the time we got to room that literally cried and then passed out while Lumar was watching TV. I didn't sleep very well though (which becomes a trend for the rest of the trip) because I was so upset about the hospitals phone calls. I woke up at 12:50am, 2am, and then again at 4:30am before the alarm finally went off at 7am. On to Animal Kingdom.....

I know I'm a bit late, but Happy New Year everyone!

Already planning a return trip for October 2010...Back to Coronado Springs!!! :yay::banana:

Happy New Year to you too! Wow, I'm really late. I didn't even know you posted again. I don't seem to get e-mails anymore.

Your breakfast looked so yummy. I'm a steak and eggs fan myself.

I hate it when people do that to their children. I understand they will never know until they try, but c'mon.

scan0004.jpg

I love this pic. The clouds are awesome!

I love BTMRR at night too. It's like a whole different ride, jungle cruise too.

You get to go again? You lucky girl. We have talked about going right before Christmas. We will have to see though. What is going on with your jobs?

You get to go again? You lucky girl. We have talked about going right before Christmas. We will have to see though. What is going on with your jobs?

Well, we're certainly going to TRY and do it again. Since we aren't sure what's going to happen as far as work goes after we get laid off, we can't book anything any time soon, but the tentative plan is for the last week of October.

There don't seem to be any rumors or anything going around regarding when the layoff's will come, but someone from another department told me that her supervisor was thinking sometime around August.

In the meantime, I'm trying to pay off some bills and start/finish my certification class. That might make it easier to get a new job. Lumar also just got promoted so that will be extra income now, and also extra money in his severance package.

Well, I need to go clean the snow off my car so I can head to work...Have a great day everyone!

DHS==good mojo:thumbsup2

Brown Derby=makes me sad as I am eating there in Feb.

Power Rangers so cool.

Racial lady=not cool.

Smackdown..:)

Tonga Toast...doing that too.

DHS==good mojo:thumbsup2

Brown Derby=makes me sad as I am eating there in Feb.

Power Rangers so cool.

Racial lady=not cool.

Smackdown..:)

Tonga Toast...doing that too.

We did have pretty good mojo that day! I thought of how proud you would be :thumbsup2

Yeah...the Brown Derby....not so much.... I just felt really let down. :confused3

The Power Rangers were cool! LOL It's funny because this lady came up to us while we were line and was like "would you mind if we let some Make-A-Wish kids go ahead of you?" Lumar and I are were like "do you really have to actually ASK people if that's OK? Who says no to that??" Seriously, who sayd no to a Make-A-Wish kid? :sad2:

That lady in Pizza Planet was ridiculous. She needed to have her Gucci shades slapped right off her caked-on makeup face.

:laughing: The Smackdown! LOL I was so confused when I read that...I had to go back and read my own TR to figure out what the heck you were talking about! LOL Seriously, that mom was awesome. She is my hero.

And there needs to be a little drooling smiley on this list because Tonga Toast = droolworthy. You will not be disappointed!

We had breakfast reservations at Boma for 9am....we absolutely did NOT make it on time but it's mostly my fault. We left the hotel at 8:15am but once again (as you'll recall from my October 2007 TR :rolleyes1) The Key Master locked us out. It's always his job to get the room keys and he failed to do that on this morning. My stupid self, however, rather than just go to the front desk and get new ones on our way OUT, decides to call the front desk and have someone come and let me into the room. After about 10 minutes, she finally pulls up on her stupid segway, plays 20 questions with me about my identity, then opens and the door. She THEN proceeds to start commenting on all of our stuff (which is strategically thrown all over the place) and how the maids won't be able to clean. I tell her that we are not having the maid come in today, and shove the little red tag into the door. I was half expecting her to follow me to the bus stop on her stupid segway.

By the time we actually left on a bus, it was 8:40am. We went to DHS since 1) there was a DHS bus already here, and 2) it was the closest park to Pop. Of course when we got to DHS, we had to wait for an AKL bus to come and get us. A CM had to call a bus for us and it picked us up right at 9am. The driver was really nice and chatted with us about staying at different resorts (CM's get a 35% discount on resort stays, which I did not know) and about the old bus routes, and such.

Still no zebra domes...(maybe they don't serve them during breakfast??) but my French Toast and scrambled eggs were awesome!

IMG_0716.jpg

We got to AK around 10:30 or 11 and we were going to get FPs for the Safari, but there was only a 10 minute wait :-)confused3) so we got in the stand-by line.

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

The elephants were out by the water so I got some pretty good pics:
IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

The business end of the White Rhino:
IMG_0757.jpg

After our ride, we headed to Asia and got FPs for EE, which had a 40 minute wait. The return time was for 30 minutes later so we just hung around and waited.

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

We were able to get new FPs before we got on, and after our ride, we went to Dinoland to ride Dinosaur (which is still completely terrifying, by the way).

We went back to EE, got more FPs, went for a ride, then went to Flame Tree BBQ for lunch.

Clearly, one of us had the turkey sandwich and the other had BBQ chicken, but I don't remember which was which. I think I had the sandwich.

SDC10608.jpg

SDC10609.jpg

Of course, we made friends with the locals...by bribing them...

SDC10611.jpg

SDC10615.jpg

The duck has an injured foot, OK?! So what if I gave her some bread!? GOSH!

We went back to EE and rode again (have a I mentioned that we really love this ride?) then wandered through Discovery Island for a bit. We stopped into the Outfitters where I got two pairs of pants (while Lumar was...ahem...indisposed...). They have these great paintings hanging up that I never saw before:

SDC10617.jpg

SDC10618.jpg

BUNNY!!
SDC10627.jpg

Our reservation at Yak & Yeti was at 4pm so we headed back towards Asia at around 10 of. I had the Crispy Honey Chicken with whatever that Avalanche drink is that is phenomenal, and Lumar had Baby Back Ribs. We had fried wontons for desert (also phenomenal) AND I got to watch my favorite parade from our seat (without the music, sadly, but it was fun to watch anyway). I failed to take pictures of my food at Y & Y, but I did get a picture of the most important part:

SDC10630.jpg

After dinner, we headed back to Pop to freshen up for MNSSHP!!! I took some pics on Discovery Island on the way out:

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

She THEN proceeds to start commenting on all of our stuff (which is strategically thrown all over the place) and how the maids won't be able to clean. I tell her that we are not having the maid come in today, and shove the little red tag into the door. I was half expecting her to follow me to the bus stop on her stupid segway.
Who the heck does she think she is? Geez! You are on vacation and cleaning isn't part of the deal!!

my French Toast and scrambled eggs were awesome!

IMG_0716.jpg
OMG! That looks yummy!

The business end of the White Rhino:
IMG_0757.jpg
Nice Butt!

[ quote=]
We were able to get new FPs before we got on, and after our ride, we went to Dinoland to ride Dinosaur (which is still completely terrifying, by the way). [/quote]
Really??

The duck has an injured foot, OK?! So what if I gave her some bread!? GOSH!
It's okay, no passing judgement!

I got two pairs of pants (while Lumar was...ahem...indisposed...).
Hee Hee!

I can't wait to hear all about the PARTY!

Really??

I can't wait to hear all about the PARTY!

Yes, really! I can't decide if I love that ride or hate it. It scares the bejesus out of me!

I'm hoping to get in another update tonight but it's Ghost Hunters night so I'm not making any promises! LOL

We had a plan for the party, going in. We wanted to do rides and trick or treating tonight and save character meetings for the 31st when we would be in costume. This night went according to plan and we had a great time!

We left for the party at 7pm and, of course, rode HM first. It was too dark to get good pictures of it though.

SDC10652.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

We did a lot of trick or treating but the candy assortment this time around was....well...cheap...compared to the party in 2007. No name brand candy with the exception of maybe 3 mini tootsie rolls. Everything else is that cheap candy that no one ever really eats... and to be honest, it's still all piled in the fruit bowl on top of my microwave. It's only 2.5 months old at this point...it's not THAT bad, right?

There is a trick or treat spot down the ramp near where you board the Liberty Belle. There was a CM dressed like he worked at the HM, with makeup on, of course, for the party. He was kind of hiding on the boat and when people would come down the ramp he would just kind of stalk you...in the dark...it was really creepy. He totally freaked me out. And I heard another girl saying the same thing about him so I wasn't alone.

We watched Hallowishes (this is the first time I used my new camera to take fireworks pictures and I didn’t use a tripod, so the fireworks came out OK but the castle is pretty blurry most of the time!):

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

Then rode PotC, sat and watched Boo to You (tied for 1st as my favorite parade with the AK parade):

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

The dog they used during the HM part of the parade was just a puppy and he was SO cute! He kept trying to run towards the crowd and he was licking the food scraps off the ground.

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

We rode HM one more time, then headed home around 11. There had been talk of rain earlier in the day, and we noticed that Hallowishes was “cut short” (there were parts of the song missing that we KNOW were missing because we have the song on the iPod and know it by heart) and thought maybe it’s because they were trying to save time before the storm came in, but thankfully it held out and we had a great night!

I don't like parades, but that parade looks very unique....

I know you hate them, but if you ever get a chance to go in October for the party you should watch it at least once. They give out free candy! And they show it twice so you can watch the first one and then ride rides during the second one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter