Looking to find some (non-animatronic!) natue--suggestions for state parks etc?

coastgirl

DIS Veteran
We will be visiting Orlando area for two weeks in August. In trips to other parts of FL we have found neat opportunities to explore nature a little...loved the Wildlife sanctuary on Sanibel, enjoyed a state park beach south of St Pete's, saw a manatee river also near Sanibel... What's in driving distance of Orlando that might be neat for a day's exploration? (And not SO natural that we have to bring hiking gear!)

I found "Wekiwa" park, that sounds interesting, though I was disappointed to learn our dog wouldn't be welcome at the lake area. (I understand, but I'm still disappointed.) We have done Gatorland, and enjoyed the trails, but it's a bit too "animals in cages" to be what I'm looking for. Airboat sounds neat too, but probably noisy and smelly--we'd prefer to be self-propelled. Picky, aren't I? ::yes::

So where can we see a little of "natural" Florida without needing an overnight?

We've been to the blue spring state park, took the boat trip (lasts about 2 hours). We really enjoyed it there :goodvibes

We've been to the blue spring state park, took the boat trip (lasts about 2 hours). We really enjoyed it there :goodvibes

Two :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 for Blue Springs. A really fascinating boat tour along the St John's River, and swimming in the springs looks like it would be excellent. We were there in March; no swimming because the manatee were still in the springs.

We saw so many gators on the boat tour that the guide started joking that they were animatronic and placed there for our enjoyment!

Airboat sounds neat too, but probably noisy and smelly

We did Wild Willy's Airboat Tour in St. Cloud on our Christmas trip, and it was definitely not smelly. While the boat was loud, we were each provided with ear protection that worked perfectly.

It was great fun, an easy drive from Orlando, and we would highly recommend :thumbsup2 .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter