Looking forward to an ambitious 2016

jbrostek

DIS Veteran
Just over a month in the new house. Other then the big ouch of having to replace the heat pump shortly after buying the place, the house has been coming together rather nicely. No major remodeling was planned before the new year and next year with some careful budgeting I plan to start on updating bathrooms and eventually the kitchen if I can squeeze it in sometime in 2017 (depending on the bathrooms as some are cheaper then others.) But enough about the new house, its time to talk about the important stuff.......Disney!!!

After long discussions, some careful budget reviews Caren and I have worked out what we need to save to make both the Adult trip to Disney and a Kid trip with her Children in 2016!!!!

The Adult trip as some of you have met me and the others is 3 couples. We usually go right after the holidays in January. But after two years in a row of bum weather, we have decided to shift our plan for 2016 (which works in my favor!) and go down the second half of February. We know this is a busier time due to some winter breaks over Presidents day, but since the adult trip is less rides and more about enjoying other parts of Disney World, we think we can deal with it. What I am most excited about even at 40 is that I will get to celebrate my Birthday with the mouse!!! Our reservations are set for Feb 14-27, 2016!! We even upgraded to the Premium loops, mainly because the last two years John and I have had some really tight spots for our 5th wheels.

with the Adult trip decided among the 3 core families. Then came the more difficult trip to plan which is the Kid trip. Due to school schedules we are limited to some of the busiest times of the year. We looked at their Spring break, but that is only a month from the Adult trip and less time to save for both. I even looked into the cost of storing the RV down there for the month, but the cost to leave it there was washed out by the travel home and back that either meant a straight through run or finding pet friendly hotels. By the time the estimates was done it would save 100 bucks and be a bit more hassle then it was worth. In the end Caren felt it was too soon after the adult trip even if the weather is preferred, so we looked at other possible dates. We then looked at the end of June right after school let out. Unfortunately, the week/weekends we preferred to make the trip on overlapped with Fathers Day, which would not fly with the Children's Father and we did not even want to bring it up. If we left the following weekend it meant staying through July 2nd and a very busy time for June. We ended up picking Mid August, August 13-20th in a Premium site to be exact, Caren did not want to spot me into a Preferred site. She is getting good at spotting me, but after seeing the last time at a Preferred she did not feel confident yet she could spot me that well. That could change by next year, but the premium sites will be better for us anyway. Going in August should be less crowded (we hope) and more time to save for the trip. We looking at the historical almanac for end of June and August was not much difference in it being hot. With any luck the lower cost stay and value season crowds will offset all of that.

Caren and I are both excited to have TWO reservations to Disney for the same year!!! Even she was amazed that for the cost of one hotel based trip for 4 people it was only 25% more to make TWO trips with FW!!! I expect our Adult trip will be the same as always, loosely planned with us arriving late at the parks just to mill around and take it all in. I expect us to do more resort exploring and of course tasting what the resort bars have to offer. ;) It is what we do best it seems, but I hope to get on a few of my favorite rides through the stay.

The kid trip I am leaving all the planning up to Caren. She is well versed and has her touring plans. I expect to only give input on what attractions I enjoy the most and leave the park planning to her. She has already told me I am in change with the travel planning (how long between stops and where to stop for the night.) I just reminded her to leave time for me to either break away mid day or have some downtime to go take care of the pups.

Because of the two trips we are both going to buy annual passes and take advantage of tables in wonderland! It just makes sense and if we luck out and plan the 2017 Adult trip before they expire we could even get 3 trips on them!! For the kids just 6 day hoppers will be the ticket of choice which means park access on all days we are there minus arrival and departure days. It is interesting to see how well her kids responded to the need to cut back a little to put more away for the trip. Though her son is not as happy with the talk of eating out less, we think we can keep his eye on the prize. Her daughter was trying to think up every way possible to trim the household budget AND earn extra spending money for both of them. It was great to see them want to contribute at 10 and 12, but really the idea was to get them on board with some budget trimming to make it all possible.

Of course this means I have to keep reading about all the other trip reports before I can post my own. But as a consolation Caren and I are joining some friends for a camping trip over July 4th weekend up in PA. Just a couple days to get away from it all and relax with good friends, good fun and a few adult beverages.

Seriously excited, but now its back to work and finish the final planning for departure next week!

Two trips next year, jbro?

That calls for some serious popcorn.

I'll be tuning in.

Bama Ed

J, I highly recommend the TIW card. It is great for adults includes 20% of the adult libations we so enjoy. Have a great time. You might be there for the princess half marathon. One year I will do that race.

Ed - I know! At just shy of 900 miles one way it does take a bit of planning! I can't wait to talk about the posts too! Heck I can't wait to get some pictures of the new place together to share with you all.

Kris - We learned more about that last year and did the research. We also plan to get two cards, so cost is about 150 for Caren and I. As you know, I am not a runner. I take care of myself, I ride my bike I choose to get off my bus stop early and walk the mile to and from the office. I tried running once and my legs are not built for that. Beyond it just being too hard on my joints, the idea of getting up that early to run a marathon does not fly with me for vacation. But hey I will lift you a cup of coffee when I do wake up at 7am ;)

I been busy preparing for the July 4th trip, its a small trip but a good time with the RV home to give her a bath, wash the linens, organize and do some maintenance. That is plugging right along and I hope by Wednesday that all I will have to do after work on Thursday is fuel up the truck and hitch up.

On the Disney planning side, the interesting part of this is the adult trip we have the means to bring a golf carts down. We find it more convenient then the bus for a larger group and shooting back to take care of the pups. However, for the Kid trip I will have to rent one for the week as I wont have the means to transport my own. It has been included in the budget and now that dates are set I need to make a few calls. I know Kenny at Tee Time can be somewhat elusive to contact, but will still reach out. Fort Friends sponsor is Golf Cart Shop Sun City, so I am going to call them for rates as well. If any else has suggestions I am for it, I don't mind going off site to pick it up or drop it off but for the cost of the TIW cards in savings over Disney carts it is worth it. I just want a reliable cart and no trying to chase someone down when I get there to pick it up. So if you have a suggestion, please let me know.

Well that was a wet weekend (Well Saturday at least.) But happy to say that I did not have to find a way to make my house a boat nor the RV. Though little yard work actually happened that day since going outside just meant getting another shower. But this time clothed with cold water.

Sunday was a great day, but I had several commitments away from the home. So only a few days to my little July 4th weekend trip I now need to finish packing the RV up again and taking care of some minor maintenance items I have on the list. Thankfully not all that much is on the list!

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend, and pick up where we left off on some of my vacationing ideas.

Well that was a wet weekend (Well Saturday at least.) But happy to say that I did not have to find a way to make my house a boat nor the RV. Though little yard work actually happened that day since going outside just meant getting another shower. But this time clothed with cold water.

Sunday was a great day, but I had several commitments away from the home. So only a few days to my little July 4th weekend trip I now need to finish packing the RV up again and taking care of some minor maintenance items I have on the list. Thankfully not all that much is on the list!

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend, and pick up where we left off on some of my vacationing ideas.

Enjoy your camping trip over the 4th of July. We hope to get a trip in during July, but if not we have a trip scheduled in August. Time to try out the new truck. But of course first have to adjust the hitch. More rain for PA this week, hope to squeeze it in.

Yeah, calling for chance of storms pretty much all week for Northern VA too. We are off to Burnt Cabins for the 4th. We love the Cowans Gap area, it is quiet, usually not insanely crowded and there is enough but not a lot to do at the campground. So relaxation is usually the only good choice. We plan to hit the road by 6, its about a 2-2.5 hour tow for me to the campground and then settle in for the weekend. If I can get an earlier start I will, but just have to see how work is going.

That was how I used to give directions when I live on LI. "if you see the ocean or the sound, you went too far."

Its a dreary semi wet morning here. But still its my Friday and I am nearly ready to roll. Leaving work in 2 hours to make a few stops on the way home. Take care of the final load up of the RV and prepare to hit the road. Its a 2-2.5 hour tow up to Cowans gap, but we should be able to avoid most of the traffic.

How fast the Independence Day weekend and my work week has gone. Its off to another Friday already!!! But its been like a flash this week.

The weekend trip to Burnt Cabins was great, we did get some rain but the temps stayed down. We had a great weekend anyway and I was 'forced' to sleep in due to the rain falling in the morning. We did not do much other then graze on food and relax with good friends. But that is somehow the best thing you can do sometimes.

The trip there and back was effortless and downright smooth. This week I had one bump in the road, my alternator died on the truck. It was a 2 year old reman, and both my friend who owns the shop I use and myself are ticked at the crap quality of the rebuild. He is chewing them out for some warranty coverage, I hope he gets some of it. Since he gives me a good deal on parts, I told him if he gets something keep it. I was out a lot less then had I taken it to any other shop.

I did spend some time on the house, I almost feel like its ready for lots of high resolution pictures now that the yard is better tamed. But that will have to wait as tonight I am off to the race track. Another weekend of providing safety and rescue services to the men and women who have the need for fast and close competition. It also happens to be the points series 40th anniversary!!! Looking forward to seeing what the little historic committee has put together to show at dinner.

On the Disney front, Caren and I have both worked on our budgets, the money should be there in time (to avoid using any credit cards.) I still have some more work to do on the August golf cart plans, but we have both been a little distracted as our jobs have been a little demanding lately.

Still getting excited about that, and my housewarming party in August.

Can you believe nearly a month of summer has already passed?!?!?! The past month has been a whirlwind of track events, birthdays, my 1 year anniversary with Caren, and of course the house.

The 40th anniversary of my local racing series was very enjoyable. We could not have asked for better weather, and we has some awesome races with lots of fighting for the top spots. Best of all no major wrecks all weekend!!! That meant I could spend my time enjoying the racing rather then dealing with the clean ups.

The house is finally to a point where I am ready to take pictures to share with everyone. Most of the work is the final unpacking and setup, but also some minor repairs and changes. This past month was finishing the conversion to mostly LED or CFL lighting around the house. The addition of low voltage lighting around the deck, and the replacement of two ceiling fans. One that was broken and one that was starting to make a racket in the office.

We are just a 8 days away from our first set of ADRs opening up for the February trip. Caren would like to do something for Valentines day since we will be there. I am not going to surprise her with any reservations. But I think my top picks would be Le Cellier (which she likes) and Nacroossee's (I am a seafood fan.) California Grill is wonderful, but it is not on her list of romantic locations mostly involving her ex husband. She enjoys the food there but it is low on her list for dinner for two. Beyond that, what would be some of your suggestions? I already took her to Artists Point, which could be an option again.

This weekend is my house warming party, I have been looking forward to it and working hard on the food and party prep. I guess its a good thing I been keeping at it to get the house unpacked and setup. There is still a lot left to do by Saturday afternoon, but I think it all can get done in time since reinforcements arrive tomorrow afternoon. So far the weather looks to be great as well, expecting rain tonight and in the morning. But Saturday is supposed to be cooler then usually, sunny and dry. I hope for once they are right.

J,

What about the Boathouse for Valentine's Day? We are eating there in Sep, will let you know what we think. Also the new Morimoto Asian restaurant should be open. We are also going to try Ravelo in sep at the new Four Season's at Golden Oak.

I thought about the boathouse, but DTD might have to deal with more people trying to get in for dinner vs. elsewhere. I will talk to Caren and see what she wants, the Japanese place might work as well, we both love international foods and might want to change it up a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter